BajaNomad

Registering a car in Mex/Baja

Shimmer - 1-24-2007 at 08:59 AM

Could someone inform me... or point me to where I can easily find the information on registering cars in Baja. I reside here full time, and have one of my cars that has expired plates... from Hawaii. I may be ready to register that one here. I have done searches on thsi site but dont seem to be getting the info I need.

Shimmer

Dave - 1-24-2007 at 09:45 AM

To be registered it first has to be imported. I know of a broker in TJ but that would mean driving the car up here.

longlegsinlapaz - 1-24-2007 at 11:08 AM

It can be imported & licensed in La Paz. Sorry, I don't have all the specific details....a Mexican friend offered to go through the process on my behalf. If nobody else can come up with definitive info, I'll check with my friend & U2U you his contact info.

What I can tell you.....you have to take the car in for an operational inspection, they verify the VIN#, take a BUNCH of pics of the vehicle, you pay the importation feel (varies by age & value of vehicle)....in my case, it took about 8-10 days to get the papers. Once it was imported, then I had to go through a separate process to obtain license plates & all the window stickers.

PS You're in a catch-22 position....you can be ticketed, fined & have the license plates & your driver's license removed from your possession for driving it with expired tags. But how do you get it to La Paz to begin the process? The police in La Paz ARE watching for expired tags now, where they didn't before!

[Edited on 1-24-2007 by longlegsinlapaz]