BajaNomad

Best rig for getting around off the pavement in Baja?

Pages:  1  

Cypress - 2-6-2007 at 12:36 PM

Thinking about a 4 or 6 cylinder 4-wheel vehicle. No plans to tow anything other than a light 18' boat or do any extreme rock crawling.:bounce: Your basic reliable beater.:yes:Advice needed?:?:

Taco de Baja - 2-6-2007 at 01:06 PM

1995-2004 Tacoma, of course! :)

It'll get you there and back, and haul all your supplies

[Edited on 2-6-2007 by Taco de Baja]

Capt. George - 2-6-2007 at 01:17 PM

burro senor???

surfer jim - 2-6-2007 at 01:20 PM

Someone will recommend..... a DIESEL.... 500+HP....40" tires....8" lift kit....as the minimum needed....let's see ......:P

Cypress - 2-6-2007 at 01:49 PM

burro?:lol:Have been packing with horses here, there and yonder up in the norhwest boonies.:) Hauled elk, moose, deer, camping equipment etc. up and down a mountain or two. :) Ready for some that runs on gas not hay.:lol:

Cypress - 2-6-2007 at 02:00 PM

surfer jim!:spingrin: yep. Probably some sort of track vehicle, a cross between a bulldozer and a dirt bike.:spingrin:

BajaWarrior - 2-6-2007 at 02:15 PM

As a big fan and owner of the one ton 4x4 crew cabs I would have to recommend also a Toyota 4x4 for what you have in mind.

I have a 88' Toyota 4x4 that has been retired in Baja for over 10 years and I must say, it goes anywhere, reliably and comfortably. Air down for offroad and have a great time!

Cypress - 2-6-2007 at 02:23 PM

'88 Toyota. Thanks BajaWarrior.:bounce:Have had good luck with Toyota products.:bounce:

tripledigitken - 2-6-2007 at 02:24 PM

Cypress,

For a baja beater I would recommend a Ford Explorer 4.0 V-6, 4x4.

For the following reasons;

. Cheap to buy.
. Reliable.
. nice size for baja roads.
. Better chance of parts availability in Baja over imports.

I have had one for a work truck for over 3 years with no problems. If you have a larger budget I would buy what my personal Baja vehicle is, a 2005 Xterra Offroad.

SAN BORJA.jpg - 37kB

Cypress - 2-6-2007 at 02:29 PM

triple "D". Thanks. Have used Ford 4x4's in the past, they can turn on a dime.:D

AmoPescar - 2-6-2007 at 03:40 PM

Hey Cypress,

Dis you see my posting... "MY NEXT BAJA VEHICLE"

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=22485

AMO :rolleyes:

Cypress - 2-6-2007 at 03:43 PM

AmoPescar.That's a stretch!!:lol:

Look no further

Skipjack Joe - 2-6-2007 at 03:44 PM

Cypress,

You'll be able to visit exotic, remote locations and enjoy early mornings like this one.

[Edited on 2-7-2007 by Skipjack Joe]

[Edited on 2-16-2007 by Skipjack Joe]

Cypress - 2-6-2007 at 03:59 PM

Skipjack. Looks like another Toyota vote from here. Thanks.:bounce:

marla - 2-6-2007 at 04:02 PM

I asked this same question of the Baja board five years ago, and at that time about 80 percent of amigos answered "Toyota 4Runner." About 10 percent said Jeeps and the other 10 percent was assorted. One guy said the 4Runner "takes a licking and keeps on ticking." I bought a used 4Runner with 73,000 miles in response. Today, it has 175,000 miles on it, it's been driven on many a hard road, the engine is caked with mud, and it runs GREAT! The only problems I've had in 100,000 miles were replacing the starter and the master brake cylinder. Oh yeah and on one particularly bad road, the radio antenna fell off, but I don't really care cuz I have satellite radio anyway! Guess what my next car will be? Btw, I also obeyed the Baja buddies advice to buy BF Goodrich All Terrain TA tires and am very glad I did, they are the perfect tires!

marla - 2-6-2007 at 04:05 PM

hey how did you insert that photo?????

Cypress - 2-6-2007 at 04:11 PM

marla, Toyota is looking good. Have owned a truck and a couple of cars made by Toyota. No complaints.:bounce:

AmoPescar - 2-6-2007 at 04:36 PM

Hey Marla,

Check your U2U.

Amo :D

Skipjack Joe - 2-6-2007 at 04:36 PM

Marla,

If the picture is already on a website click on the button that looks like a letter with a mountain in front of it (7 from the left) and enter the address of your image.

Otherwise upload your image using the browse button at the bottom above the Post Reply button and navigate to your file. The file should be <= 50KB. If it's greater there will no warnings - you just don't see your picture.

It's far better if the image is on another website as Doug will remove your image from this website in a matter of months and your old post will be meaningless.

Capt. George - 2-6-2007 at 05:11 PM

lotsa toyotas all over the place down there...parts should be good.

we have had 2 jeep cherokees (4.0) great also..

but I still say (for Cypress) a burrrro!

Cypress - 2-6-2007 at 05:46 PM

Capt. George.:)Does a winch come with those late model burros?:tumble:

TMW - 2-6-2007 at 05:52 PM

A vehicle is only as reliable as you take care of it. Neglect routine maintenance and leave broken parts unfixed and sooner or later it will bite you. It will also come at the worse possible time. I laugh everytime I see a vehicle on the side of the hwy on a jack with one tire missing. If the dummy had a good spare he wouldn't be in that fix.

DanO - 2-6-2007 at 06:10 PM

Over the holidays I came across three Mexican divers in a truck heading out to La Bocana that had a flat. They had a spare, but it wasn't doing them much good because they didn't have a lug wrench. I helped them out with my wrench, and afterwards as I drove off, I thought to myself, "how in the hell can you drive around out here without a lug wrench?" Answer: Rely on the kindness of strangers (and pray that their lug wrench fits your lugs).

Wiles - 2-6-2007 at 06:35 PM

Hey Cap.....

Love those Jeeps (I've owned 4). Just make sure you carry a spare crankshaft sensor for those 4L's. They will leave you stranded when it goes.....and they will go. Make sure you are towing a HEEE-HAWW for use in a pinch.

[Edited on 2-7-2007 by Wiles]

[Edited on 2-7-2007 by Wiles]

oslotboom - 2-6-2007 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Cypress,

Just curious....where was that attached photo taken? I'm working on planning a trip and I'm trying to identify the dirt routes with the best desert landscapes, preferably with lots of cactus and boojum. That road is what I'm looking for.

Paulina - 2-6-2007 at 07:19 PM

This is our version and dream of the "Best rig for getting around off the pavement in Baja."
Can someone loan us 100k? We'll gladly pay you next Tuesday!

PyD

Prerunner_JGilbertson017 r.JPG - 49kB

Cheap Thrills!

Mike Supino - 2-6-2007 at 07:29 PM

140 mph over small cars!

post-2.jpg - 16kB

Mike Supino - 2-6-2007 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Mike,Robby's is just a bit faster.Don't matter,I'll take either.

It may depend on the driver........Where's Whelchel?????

bajalou - 2-6-2007 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Mike,Robby's is just a bit faster.Don't matter,I'll take either.

The one wheels up is Robby's at Parker last weekend.

Jesse Jones going to give him a pull back up.

[Edited on 2-7-2007 by bajalou]

..Must buy new toys!..

Cameron - 2-6-2007 at 09:23 PM

How's this for off-pavement fun???:spingrin:

ballisticcover.jpg - 18kB

Paulina - 2-6-2007 at 09:32 PM

That's a lot of Bling...looks like Herman Munsters sand buggy.

This one is more our speed.

home made r.JPG - 49kB

tripledigitken - 2-6-2007 at 10:22 PM

How about this rig?

:lol:

[Edited on 2-7-2007 by tripledigitken]

baja-car.jpg - 48kB

Capt. George - 2-7-2007 at 03:47 AM

Cypress, you bet your ass (oops, heinie) they do.

Wiles see U2U

San Borja

tripledigitken - 2-7-2007 at 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oslotboom
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Cypress,

Just curious....where was that attached photo taken? I'm working on planning a trip and I'm trying to identify the dirt routes with the best desert landscapes, preferably with lots of cactus and boojum. That road is what I'm looking for.

That is the road into Mission San Borja. It is west of LA Bay. A very worthwhile side trip if you are in the area. Let me know if you need more information.

Ken

4baja - 2-7-2007 at 07:16 AM

toyota hands down. evertime i took my toyotas down i never had to fix anything when i got back, cant say the same for my fords i took.:bounce::D:coolup:

TMW - 2-7-2007 at 08:05 AM

While the american brand of vehicles have gotten better over the years, the one thing I always liked about Toyota was how they clamped all the lines, hoses and wiring down. I spent many hours doing the same on my old chevy when I had it. My 04 GMC Z71 is better but still had to do a few things. The worse thing on a GM vehicle is that stupid battery clamp. For hwy driving it's OK, for off road it's a problem waiting to happen. Not so much with the original battery as with a replacement. On the newer trucks and SUVs the air filter box is another, they need a more secure hold down method. I solved both problems, but you would think the brains at GM would do it if they are going to label it an off road vehicle.

jimgrms - 2-7-2007 at 08:13 AM

Seems like most like the toyotas,
But to me the jeep cherokees are great, reliable imexpensive nice ride decent economy and easy to work on also you can get a jasper long block remanufactured engine for 2200.00$, a toyota head cost more than that, I just got a 99 2 dr for my grandson my son and i split the cost and with a new eng standard trans tire and brakes we have spent 7000'00 on it

4baja So,

RockhouseTom - 2-7-2007 at 08:16 AM

Let me get this straight, your going to be leaving for Baja in less than 24 hours In a ford while your toyota is parked in the drivway?:lol:

As you know we go both ways F-250 and a FJ.:bounce:

David K - 2-7-2007 at 10:39 AM

I don't need to add a word!:tumble:

1106 178r.JPG - 43kB

Cypress - 2-7-2007 at 10:46 AM

Thanks for all the input.:yes:Expect David K. has traveled more miles down in Baja than anyone. Thanks for the picture David K.:yes:What is the make of that rig?:?:

bigboy - 2-7-2007 at 11:56 AM

I like my Broco for Baja. It has 260,000 miles and still has the original running gear! Lots of miles on dirt roads!

bajabass - 2-7-2007 at 01:21 PM

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!! I own an automotive brake, suspension, and alignment shop in Orange, Ca. 50 weekends a year I am somewhere in between La Mision and Loreto. I am able to do this in good part due to job security built by Chevy and Ford. I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4. Total reliability! strong runner,agile,decent mileage. Very capable off-road.:light:

bajaandy - 2-7-2007 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
toyota hands down. evertime i took my toyotas down i never had to fix anything when i got back, cant say the same for my fords i took.:bounce::D:coolup:

And just to show that there are two sides to every story, I've been driving my Ford's to Baja since I sold my Toyota in '89 and have never had to fix anything but a flat or two...

oldjack - 2-7-2007 at 03:35 PM

Does that ultimate Tacoma come w/ auto or 5spd... and what size tires to run down the hwy and then down the washboard(or worse)... do you upgrade the air filters/radiators... or anything else?????

well im ,

pacificobob - 2-7-2007 at 04:01 PM

going to recomend the mercedes unimog

small mog camper.JPG - 15kB

Kino Buggy

turtleandtoad - 2-7-2007 at 04:21 PM

Here's one that has a proven track record.

Kino-Buggy.jpg - 42kB

bigboy - 2-7-2007 at 06:56 PM

I've been driving Ford trucks all over Baja and the US deserts since 1971 and have never broken down. Presently, I have a beater Bronco that I leave at my house in Baja, a newer Bronco to get to my Baja house and a Excursion to tow my two 7000# boats all over Baja. Think I'll stay with Fords!!

Larry

Ken Bondy - 2-7-2007 at 11:25 PM

Can't imagine driving in Baja in a vehicle that doesn't have helicopter hooks. Just doesn't seem safe:

AmoPescar - 2-8-2007 at 12:24 AM

Hey Ken...

I love your reasoning...that is SO funny!

I doubt there's anyone else who can say that about their Baja ride. And it's a very COOL Baja ride too.

Michael :yes:

David K - 2-8-2007 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Thanks for all the input.:yes:Expect David K. has traveled more miles down in Baja than anyone. Thanks for the picture David K.:yes:What is the make of that rig?:?:

That is a 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4 door, 'TRD' 4WD Truck.

The TRD (Toyota Racing Development) package gives you Bilstein gas shocks, a locking rear differential, 'large' BFG Rugged Trail TA tires...

The photo above was taken near Montevideo, off the road to Mision San Borja, last November.

Here's another taken on the beach near Cielito Lindo, San Quintin in Sept., '05. (a month old). My web site trip pages are full of photos of it!

Previous I had a 2001 Toyota Xtra Cab, TRD 4WD (my first Toyota)... Put 136,000 miles on it in 5 years... No breakdowns, no problems... Oh, what a feeling!

905 005.jpg - 44kB

Hook - 2-8-2007 at 11:39 AM

cypress, for your needs, I'd have to say that Toyota Taco has the proven track record and the capability.

No sense in driving around a 4k lb. and up American truck to tow that little weight. Less weight is better off road, too. MPGs go up, too.

Cypress - 2-8-2007 at 05:41 PM

Toyota wins.:D Might consider beefing up the suspension, the radiator, and air intake?:?::D Thanks Nomads!!!:D

Taco de Baja - 2-8-2007 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Toyota wins.:D Might consider beefing up the suspension, the radiator, and air intake?:?::D Thanks Nomads!!!:D

Yes to beefier suspension, you will thank yourself after a long day of driving off road.

No to the Radiator. I've never had an overheating issue.

Intake? Your choice. I have a K and N FIPK. It maybe added a few ponies, but maybe that's my wallet thinking :lol:

David K - 2-8-2007 at 06:01 PM

Rear suspension (on the 4 door) is (was?) too soft for any load... Needs an extra leaf or air adjustable suspension.

No air intake problems... no overheating problems... and Lord knows my trucks get tested in Baja to find any problems!

Joaquin Suave - 2-15-2007 at 07:48 PM

For solo trips:

For when travelling with the entourage:

AmoPescar - 2-15-2007 at 08:29 PM

MY NEXT BAJA VEHICLE

Here' what I want to buy for my next Baja ride. It may not be the best vehicle for getting around Baja...

BUT....just think of how many friends I can tale with me! :)

AND...with all those babes hanging out of the sunroof, I should get passed right through the Army checkpoints :lol:

AMO PESCAR :coolup:

BajaDanD - 2-15-2007 at 11:16 PM

Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Attachment: Baja SanQuintin 2 (28kB)
This file has been downloaded 214 times

DonBaja - 2-16-2007 at 09:19 AM

I agree the Toyota Tacoma has many advantages and it is a great all around vehicle. I like my 1996 Ford Bronco with the 351 engine. The only downside to the Bronco is the cargo area isn't big enough to sleep in for me (6'5") :(
First choice is Toyota Tacoma (with a shell)
2nd choice Ford Bronco

motoged - 2-16-2007 at 01:52 PM

Reduce your chance of flats by 50% :lol::lol::lol::lol:

wakemall - 2-16-2007 at 07:49 PM

A newer Toyota truck is probably the most reliable. If going with an older vehicle, get something the Mexican's can easily repair. I have a 96 Chevy 4x4 Suburban at my house in Loreto and it always runs. Even after sitting for several months. When I drive down I take my Ford 6.0 4x4 crew cab long bed diesel. It goes a long way on a tank of fuel and is fairly comfortable. The guy in the back can easily lay down and sleep. If he does not mess with the dog, he will not get bitten. Something about a dog and a 14 hour drive. He gets a little cranky. Although the dog seems to speed up the check points.

jeans - 2-17-2007 at 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
MY NEXT BAJA VEHICLE

Here' what I want to buy for my next Baja ride. It may not be the best vehicle for getting around Baja...

BUT....just think of how many friends I can tale with me! :)

AND...with all those babes hanging out of the sunroof, I should get passed right through the Army checkpoints :lol:

AMO PESCAR :coolup:

Hmm...Your truck & camper is called Amo's Big Unit. Would you call this one Amo's Long Unit? :tumble:

[Edited on 2-17-2007 by jeans]

AmoPescar - 2-17-2007 at 01:25 AM

Hey There Jeans...

That's a GOOD one!!! Makes a lot of sense to me... :yes: :tumble::bounce:

Miguelamo

ps: It was SURE GOOD seeing you last Saturday!!

DonBaja - 2-17-2007 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

Reduce your chance of flats by 50% :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If this was the new 525 I would agree :biggrin: Awsome bike

Corky1 - 2-18-2007 at 11:12 AM

Go any where "Cheep"

Corky :lol::lol:

My new Baja off road ride.jpg - 46kB

Sharksbaja - 2-18-2007 at 03:38 PM

Moo Power to them!:lol:

cpg - 2-22-2007 at 08:49 AM

This is it for me

can.JPG - 21kB

CWF - 2-24-2007 at 06:46 AM

I had a 99 Jeep Wrangler that saw a lot of off-road:

Now I drive a 2001 Chevy Suburban ¾ ton 4x4:

But this is the best off the pavement transport in Baja California:

Crusoe - 2-24-2007 at 10:29 AM

Old Volkswagwen Bus.........I put 20k miles mostly off pavement and mostly trouble free on a 1969 VW bus with larger rear tires and rims. It was easy to air down and would go just about anywhere. Easy to get fixed, never overheated and was fairly economical. It had a nice camper in it and was very comfrotable.No complaints. That was then.:biggrin::biggrin:

Cypress - 2-24-2007 at 10:47 AM

Yea, those VW's were some tuff vehicles. :bounce:They messed up bigtime when they stopped making those "bugs".:no:

Pappy Jon - 2-24-2007 at 11:59 AM

Quote:

Ya, they do. My next truck will be a 2000-04 Tacoma double cab TRD. The radiator will be just fine. It will get a lift.

That wagon posted by CPG is also a Toyota (LC FZJ80) and is as bomb proof as they get. I've been to Baja in nothing but Toyota since 1986.

[Edited on 2-24-2007 by Pappy Jon]

4Runner.jpg - 36kB

Cypress - 2-24-2007 at 12:41 PM

Pappy!:bounce::spingrin: That's what I'd call "reinforcement".:bounce::spingrin:

Pappy Jon - 2-24-2007 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Pappy!:bounce::spingrin: That's what I'd call "reinforcement".:bounce::spingrin:

That truck is over 20 years old with nearly 300K ... second motor, original, untouched tranny. She is a keeper.

55steve - 2-24-2007 at 09:10 PM

Jeep XJ (Cherokee) 4x4 - I routinely haul my 17' fiberglass boat with it and beach launch in remote locations without issue. The 4.0 liter inline 6 is plenty of power. These vehicles can be had for cheap and are a real workhorse.

cpg - 3-3-2007 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by cpg
This is it for me

I like that can carrier on the rear. What's it attached to? How do you deal with access through the back hatch?

--Larry

It swings out. It carries the spare tire, 15 gallons water, high lift ,shovel, and trash.

1.JPG - 21kB

cpg - 3-3-2007 at 10:46 AM

Here is another pic
They need to be resized small so hard to see.
This LC has 180k miles on it and runs like new.

tire car.JPG - 38kB

Crusoe - 3-3-2007 at 02:23 PM

CPG-----Thanks for the great photos.Great looking rig. How much water reserve do you carry? Do you air down on beahes and are able to drive well in sand? I like that "room with a view". Does it feel stable when sleeping up there? How about peeing in the middle of the night? Thanks again. C.:yes::yes::yes:

cpg - 3-3-2007 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
CPG-----Thanks for the great photos.Great looking rig. How much water reserve do you carry? Do you air down on beahes and are able to drive well in sand? I like that "room with a view". Does it feel stable when sleeping up there? How about peeing in the middle of the night? Thanks again. C.:yes::yes::yes:

Thank you.
15 gallons are mainly for showers. Drinking water is inside depends on weather and lenght of trip. It is like sleeping in bed at home with a killer view.
Pee in a water bottle like thingy.
Bed has a mattress sheets blankets and pillows. Up in less than a minute.

Pappy Jon - 3-3-2007 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpg
Here is another pic
They need to be resized small so hard to see.
This LC has 180k miles on it and runs like new.

Ummm, something looks familiar about that 80. Ever been over at IH8MUD? Is that Luke's rear bumper, or somebody elses?

cpg - 3-4-2007 at 12:51 AM

Quote:
Ummm, something looks familiar about that 80. Ever been over at IH8MUD? Is that Luke's rear bumper, or somebody elses?

Yes on both that is Lukes bumper. Very well built.

Cypress - 3-4-2007 at 06:16 AM

cpg.:D Another vote for Toyota.:spingrin::yes:

Pappy Jon - 3-4-2007 at 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpgYes on both that is Lukes bumper. Very well built.

Did you by chance have it installed by Luke at Cruise Moab last year?

cpg - 3-4-2007 at 10:03 AM

nope was at his shop last winter.

WHICH BFGOODRICH??

oldjack - 3-4-2007 at 10:09 AM

those of you with experience frequently suggest BFGOODRICH tires... specifically which one?? looking at COSTCO .com there are several and one is even over $300/tire....???

David K - 3-4-2007 at 10:12 AM

Usually the most popular Baja tire is the All Terrain T/A KO model... Otherwise the Mud Terrain if you want an aggressive tread.

Pappy Jon - 3-4-2007 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldjack
those of you with experience frequently suggest BFGOODRICH tires... specifically which one?? looking at COSTCO .com there are several and one is even over $300/tire....???

What DK said. If you go with the Mud Terrain you want the MT/KM, not the super expensive MT/KX which is a competition tire. Otherwise the AT/KO will work just fine. The MT/KM is an aggressive tire and for most folks the AT/KO is a better choice.

cpg - 3-4-2007 at 08:11 PM

Here is my favorite rig with remote canyon explorer

[Edited on 3-5-2007 by cpg]

bf.JPG - 44kB

nobaddays - 3-5-2007 at 07:08 AM

Nothing like running to Gonzaga in a Hummer H2

Bob and Susan - 3-5-2007 at 07:19 AM

cpg
damn...you're lucky to "tell the tale":o

Ducks - 3-6-2007 at 09:47 AM

So toyota is the obvious overwhelming consensus. I hope to make the trip in my 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser. But should parts availability be considered in what vehicle to choose? I guess if you never break down it's not a problem but.... there are no guaranties.

[Edited on 3-6-2007 by Ducks]

Pappy Jon - 3-6-2007 at 11:03 AM

FJ60's are not common down there. I do see a few, but not as many as I do older mini-trucks which are common as ants. Your truck is bomb proof. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducks
So toyota is the obvious overwhelming consensus. I hope to make the trip in my 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser. But should parts availability be considered in what vehicle to choose? I guess if you never break down it's not a problem but.... there are no guaranties.

here is mine

BAJACAT - 3-6-2007 at 08:25 PM

rear shot:lol::lol:

Rear 938G.JPG - 49kB

side shot

BAJACAT - 3-6-2007 at 08:26 PM

Side938G.JPG - 49kB

David K - 3-6-2007 at 09:17 PM

Cat, we need you to make the connection between Arroyo Canelo and the mine so we can drive from Puertecitos to El Rosario, directly!

[Edited on 3-7-2007 by David K]

cpg - 3-6-2007 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ducks

Just make sure your maintenance is done.
Hose and belts in good shape.
All bolts tight for sure the drive shaft and knuckle bolts on your rig.
If you get way out there (and you can in baja) it can be a very very long hall to parts or even a radiator hose. Do your wrenching before you cross the border.

Just ran across this...

Mexray - 3-6-2007 at 11:36 PM

...for all you 'Toy' fans out there...The Ford answer guy doesn't think much about the new Tundra...but it's fun to watch anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv4kGXwe4mE

You bet - I'm a Ford kinda guy, and there's sure enough 'brands' out there for us all to have as our favorites...but it's difficult for me to get past that old ad tag line...'Built Ford Tough!'

David K - 3-7-2007 at 12:00 AM

Gee Ray, for Ford to do that kind of nit picking commercial they must be worried about something?

I do see a lot of Titans on the road... Did Ford do a commercial like that agains Nissan?

I have really no opinion about the larger Tundra, because I don't drive one... I drive the larger Tacoma and you know how pleased I am with it! Built BAJA Tough! (to steal a slogan).

Thanks for the link!

Pappy Jon - 3-7-2007 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpg
If you get way out there (and you can in baja) it can be a very very long hall to parts or even a radiator hose. Do your wrenching before you cross the border.

There is an old saying that the last thing fixed will be the next to break. Been there when a bolt was not tightened up completely, and of course it came off on Mex 1. IF you work on your truck before you leave triple check your work. If somebody else helped, really check, even if they are a Toyota Master Mechanic. No kidding.

pulleyfix_sm.jpg - 38kB

FJ40Mark - 3-7-2007 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
Quote:
Originally posted by cpg

There is an old saying that the last thing fixed will be the next to break. Been there when a bolt was not tightened up completely, and of course it came off on Mex 1. IF you work on your truck before you leave triple check your work. If somebody else helped, really check, even if they are a Toyota Master Mechanic. No kidding.

What's up Pappy? Jutty from MUD.

Good advice on the double checkin' work..heard an old saying when packing for an off-road trip.

Take every wrench that's touched your truck in the last 2 weeks.

and TOYOTA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said..:cool:

Pappy Jon - 3-7-2007 at 08:58 AM

Dang, that's three of us crossin' over from MUD.

Quote:
Originally posted by FJ40Mark

What's up Pappy? Jutty from MUD ...
and TOYOTA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said..:cool:

TMW - 3-7-2007 at 05:31 PM

The guy bad mouthing Toyota sounds more like sour grapes, a paid hatchet man. I would agree about the cross members being welded as opposed to bolted. I had a loose bolt on a cross member on my 91 chevy that drove me nuts for almost a year before I found it. But I think Ford may be running scared. They lost something like 12 Billion $ last year and their best selling F150 sales are down this year. Still the #1 selling vehicle, but as a company they got real problems that may take years to solve. I personally think Ford and Toyota build good trucks as many others do too. Toyota has the year after year after year record of having many less problems than everyone else. Their reputation is number 1. This Tundra is new and will take a couple of years before it has a track record. One thing for sure Toyota has their act together and very well could become the #1 auto maker in the world in the next year or two or three. The other three all have lots of problems.
 Pages:  1