BajaNomad

Fatal fishing line

tehag - 2-10-2007 at 06:00 PM

An immature double crested cormorant who will never grow into the sort of comical looking adult it should because someone tossed some mono in the water. WAD IT UP AND KEEP IT! CAN IT WHEN YOU CAN! IT'S DEADLY!!!

CormorantW_Line02W.jpg - 50kB

chino - 2-10-2007 at 07:31 PM

Somewhere out there is info on re-cycling fishing line, I just re-spooled today and hung on to the left overs.
When in baja I save leftovers and burn them around the camp fire but there may be a good recycle use.
I bought a pair of Boardshorts last year made from recycled plastic bottles, now I cant stand to not recycle plastic bottles.

ursidae69 - 2-10-2007 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
An immature double crested cormorant who will never grow into the sort of comical looking adult it should because someone tossed some mono in the water. WAD IT UP AND KEEP IT! CAN IT WHEN YOU CAN! IT'S DEADLY!!!

That's so sad. Was it weak enough that you catch it to clean off the line?

DianaT - 2-10-2007 at 08:03 PM

Very, very, sad---a great reminder---Thanks

Diane

line

tehag - 2-10-2007 at 08:27 PM

The cormorant jumped into the water right after the pic and struggled way out of reach. This is not some isolated event. There were 2 dead and 1 dying pelican within a few hundred feet of this shot. I don't know if line entanglement is what killed them, but we see many birds fouled in line around here. This is in the Loreto boat basin.

Alan - 2-11-2007 at 05:12 PM

That crap does not belong in the water! Took a guy out fishing with me one time and watched as he let his line out behind the boat when we were coming in. I figured he was just getting the twist out of his line. When he got to the end of his spool he just clipped the line! Said he needed to re-spool. I went ballistic. He has never been invited back. I get that crap wrapped around my prop far too often.

Tomas Tierra - 2-11-2007 at 06:46 PM

Braided is worse...

Sad

chino - 2-11-2007 at 07:08 PM

In answer to my own question most mono-filament line can be recycled, it might seem like a pain in the ass but if people use some of the products that are made from the recycling process it may raise awareness and create a positive connection, as with my boardshorts in my previous post,.
The Berkley company has collection stations at some tackle stores or you can mail it direct to berkley call 1-800-berkley for more info, they melt the old line into plastic pellets and make tackle boxes and such with the end product.

bajabass - 2-12-2007 at 11:47 AM

Recycle in the trditional manner. Wrap it onto a old spool and give it to the local kids. I have made a lot of local kids very happy!!!

Tomas Tierra - 2-12-2007 at 02:11 PM

maybe with the gift, a little advice on how to dispose of it when they are done with it.....not sure if the kids would get that advice otherwise....

Cypress - 2-12-2007 at 02:38 PM

Any idiot that dumps mono or other line overboard ought to be removed from the gene pool.;D Take it home. Burn it.:D:)