BajaNomad

Mexicali road to San Felipe - rocks being thrown

viabaja - 2-12-2007 at 03:04 PM

FYI boys & girls! Got this from the SF Net news:

11 February - Vehicle attack on Mexicali Road at km 150 We just received this disturbing news - be alert on the highway, especially at night!!!

Last night (2/10) my husband and I were driving south on Mex Hwy 5. We do not normally drive this highway at night but had been delayed leaving Mexicali and not prepared to spend the night. So, we pressed on. As we passed KM 150 at about 7:30 p.m. someone threw a large rock from the west side of the road onto our windshield. We did not see the culprit. It shattered the windshield and sprayed shards of glass onto the dashboard and front seats. The rock landed on the dash. We were uninjured becase we have a GPS that sits on the dash and it deflected the rock and some of the glass. WE DID NOT STOP! We live in El Dorado Ranch and drove directly to Security to see if they could report the crime. They said they had contacted the federal police (PFP). We drove to the PFP office this morning (Sunday) but it was closed. We will drive the vehicle back there on Monday. We took pictures inside and outside the vehicle.

doradodan - 2-12-2007 at 04:43 PM

see my post from 12-1-06 I am still recovering. I live in San Felipe, the federal police were no help at all.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21154#pid1881...

added link to post referred to above.

[Edited on 2-13-2007 by Hose A]

Hook - 2-12-2007 at 04:58 PM

What type of vehicles do the two of you drive, Via and Dan?

Dave - 2-12-2007 at 05:13 PM

How do they do that?

To hit a vehicle's windshield that's moving at highway speed with a heavy rock?

Ain't that supposed to be hard to do?

Hook - 2-12-2007 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
How do they do that?

To hit a vehicle's windshield that's moving at highway speed with a heavy rock?

Ain't that supposed to be hard to do?

Maybe they're out there often and have only managed to hit two cars in three months? :?:

How many cars are missed and never know it?

These perps are going to be hard to catch..........not that the police might not find someone who's "guilty", if it starts to get lots of publicity.

surfer jim - 2-12-2007 at 09:24 PM

....time to "...round up the usual suspects....."

Dodging Rocks.

MrBillM - 2-12-2007 at 09:56 PM

Over the years, I've had "kids" throw smaller rocks at us as we drove the highway. Fortunately, we've never been hit.

At one time, there were a number of incidents where locals (Adults / Kids ?) would roll boulders down on the Baja 1000 participants as they raced by.

You don't think that PERHAPS there are some people who don't welcome our presence with a glad heart and open arms ? Can that be ?

Km 150

John M - 2-13-2007 at 07:01 AM

Could you pinpoint km 150 for those of us who don't know?

Thanks, John

TMW - 2-13-2007 at 07:42 AM

The jct of hwy3 and hwy 5 is at KM141 on hwy 5. KM150 is 9 KM (5-6 miles)south. If memory serves me there is a billboard on the west side at KM149 and an access road to the race course.

bajalou - 2-13-2007 at 07:57 AM

Exactly correct TW

Here it is on GoogleEarth

[Edited on 2-13-2007 by bajalou]

Chris

BajaRob - 2-13-2007 at 08:54 AM

We passed KM 150 about 2 hours ahead of you on Saturday on our way back from Algadones. It was still light and we did not see anyone along the highway. Glad that you were not injured. Edit: I re-read your original post and see that it was not you involved in the incident.

[Edited on 2-13-2007 by BajaRob]