BajaNomad

Boat Registration

btrunner - 2-12-2007 at 08:32 PM

Long time listener first time caller...

Planning a trip in a few weeks and trying to get the boat registration, fishing permits all lined up. We have 2 inflatable Kayaks 14" and 15" in which we hope to do a little fishing from. Do I need to have a Boat Fishing Permits for these crafts? And if so how do I obtain a 'Certificate of Documentation' showing vessel use as pleasure use only? As required on registration form? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:?:

Don Alley - 2-12-2007 at 08:51 PM

Any and all craft used for fishing require a boat fishing permit, including inflatables and kayaks. I suggest you try to get those stateside, some of the tackle shops in San Diego have them. I'm currently unable to renew my kayak's permit in Loreto because they now require documentation here.

RE: Boat Registration...

Cameron - 2-12-2007 at 10:34 PM

Check the Vagabundos site. You can take care of your boat registration & fishing license while you're still stateside, thus saving your Baja time for more important things, like margaritas for example...
:tumble: :spingrin: :yes:
Suerte! C

BajaBruno - 2-13-2007 at 11:06 PM

My experience has been that you can't get a Mexican boat permit unless the boat has a foreign registration. California DMV, to the best of my knowledge, will register any boat for a nominal fee.

jeffg - 2-14-2007 at 11:02 AM

I've always been able to get boat permits for my kayaks from the PESCA office in San Diego, without any need for CA registration. You can do the whole process by mail.

Unless this a new requirement at all PESCA offices?

Jeff

btrunner - 2-14-2007 at 01:47 PM

Here is what we did to get the 2 kayak's registered. I called the CONAPESCA office in San Diego and found all we needed to do. They faxed the forms here and on the 'Requesting Boat Fishing Permits Section' Gave the brand, make and model of kayak, the color and length and the number of passengers they hold. The person at the CONAPESCA office was very helpful so if you have any questions just call. So we should be all set with boat registrations! :yes: Thanks for all input.

Don Alley - 2-14-2007 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by btrunner
Here is what we did to get the 2 kayak's registered. I called the CONAPESCA office in San Diego and found all we needed to do. They faxed the forms here and on the 'Requesting Boat Fishing Permits Section' Gave the brand, make and model of kayak, the color and length and the number of passengers they hold. The person at the CONAPESCA office was very helpful so if you have any questions just call. So we should be all set with boat registrations! :yes: Thanks for all input.

Yep, that's all I've needed for three years of licenses. Until this year, and I think it's just local BS that they won't write kayak permits in Loreto. I need a new personal license soon and I'll bug her about it then.

Like a lot of things down here, the rules depend on where you are.

Hook - 2-14-2007 at 04:06 PM

Thanks for posting that info, btrunner. That question comes up alot around here.