BajaNomad

Crossing border with liquor/wine

unbob - 2-17-2007 at 09:45 PM

Anyone know the rules concerning a limit on bottles of liquor or wine allowed (by US Border Patrol) when returning to USA?

I've heard that only unopened bottles count towards the limit. IOW, if the bottles have been opened, they don't count. True?

TIA, Rob(erto)

AmoPescar - 2-18-2007 at 12:51 AM

Hi There unbob..

There is NO LIMIT on how many bottles of liquor you can bring back with you to the US. However...only ONE (1) LITRE bottle is DUTY FREE. You will be required to declare and pay duty on any quantity in excess of 1 Litre. Keep in mind though, that if you were to bring back large quantities, and if the BCP officers feel the amount is more than for your personal use, that it could be subject to liquor importation laws.

As for it being open...I'm not sure how that would be treated. If you had a couple of half empty bottles...in say an RV, My guess is that it would not be a problem. But if you had several litres which had just been unscrewed and were full, I'm pretty sure they would charge you duty on them.

I would be very interested to know if any other Nomads have information on this subject, to verify one way or another. When I've crossed the border in the past, I've had my litre and declared it. But I'm sure there have been times when I've had liquor in my camper that was purchased on a prior trip and might have been unopened.

As far as taking liquor into Baja...sometimes, a friend and I have taken several bottles of liquor (6 to 10) with us that we purchased at the Duty Free Store in Calexico and the Mexican Border Officers have never even asked if we had any. If you like to have a drink now and then, I highly recommend stopping at the Duty Frees before you cross. Their prices are on top brands of liquor are excellent, and sometimes things are on sale, making it an even better deal.

Miguelamo :saint:

unbob - 2-18-2007 at 09:40 AM

Gracias, Miguelamo!

Any idea what the "duty charge" might be per litre?

10%

The Gull - 2-18-2007 at 10:08 AM

Dave - 2-18-2007 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
Hi There unbob..

There is NO LIMIT on how many bottles of liquor you can bring back with you to the US. However...only ONE (1) LITRE bottle is DUTY FREE. You will be required to declare and pay duty on any quantity in excess of 1 Litre. Keep in mind though, that if you were to bring back large quantities, and if the BCP officers feel the amount is more than for your personal use, that it could be subject to liquor importation laws.

If you live in a border state you probably won't get to declare and pay duty. It'll be one bottle per person, period. If you're going to Montana or Idaho it shouldn't be a problem. It really depends on the inspector, though.

Going into Mexico the rule is 3 ltrs per adult.

And now for the facts!!!

thebajarunner - 2-18-2007 at 06:06 PM

The following is directly pasted from US Customs website:

Generally, one liter per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. See our publication, "Know Before You Go" for additional information.

Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and IRS taxes.

Duty is generally 3% of value and the IRS excise tax is generally between 21-31cents per 750ml bottle of wine, 67 cents/champaigne, and $2.14/ hard liquor.

It is not legal for travelers under the age of 21 to import alcohol - even as a gift.

The total amount of alcohol you may enter the country with is primarily determined by the laws of the state where you will arrive back into the U.S. Each state's ABC board (or equivalent ) sets the amount of alcohol a person may bring into the state without a license or permit from that state. Travelers must check with the appropriate state ABC board, as the amounts vary from state to state. We regret that we are unable to provide this information, but CBP staff is not able to maintain information about each of the 50 State's various requirements.

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP officer could require the importer to obtain an TTB import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it. If you do intend to travel with a large quantity of alcohol, we suggest you contact the entry branch of the port you will be entering the country through to discuss your situation in advance.

Duty rates on alcoholic beverages can be obtained in Chapter 22, "Beverages, Spirits and Vinegar," in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule. Alcoholic beverages purchased in duty-free shops are subject to duty when you bring them with you into the United States.

*****Now, go to the California ABC site and it says:

(I am paraphrasing)
Adults may bring back one liter per person....

I do not think that you can pay duty at a California border,
in the old days we used to pay 50cents a bottle at El Paso, but that was Texas.

bajalou - 2-18-2007 at 06:59 PM

I once worked for a custom broker in Calif. and a client of ours received a gift of a case of San Miguel beer from a friend in Manila. As he did not have a Calif license to handle alcoholic beverages, we had to ship it back to Manila.

bajalera - 2-18-2007 at 07:24 PM

For quite a spell there, they weren't asking whether you were bringing back booze, and we took advantage of that. But a year or so ago someone did ask. We [two of us] confessed to having four bottles of Agavera [sp?], and were sent to secondary.

The guy there explained the 1-bottle rule, we acted like this was news to us, and surprise!-- he said well, this time he'd let us keep the excess.

We thanked him for bending the rules, and he said that we had fessed up to having the stuff instead of hiding it--and we didn't whine or growl at the idea of giving it up the extras. Sometimes being a good sport pays off.

Is it true that people returning by plane can bring in four liters?

Tomas Tierra - 2-18-2007 at 07:28 PM

What about Beer???

I have been caught with (undeclared) a case of Corona Familiar (the big ones) and played dumb and got through. But they told me 1 ltr. of ANY booze is the limit, beer or liku. Anybody want to confirm this??

Sure is fun to feed your buddies those big one's when you offer a Corona!
Particularly non Baja people that have not seen them before..

What about beer?

thebajarunner - 2-18-2007 at 09:31 PM

Well, is it an alcoholic beverage?
hello....
see above

OK smartypants...

Tomas Tierra - 2-19-2007 at 02:33 PM

I re-read the whole thread, and everyone is refering to LIQUOR or BOOZE or WINE..Is beer liquor or booze or wine?? Beer has significantly less alcohol by volume,so does that make it a legit question??

HELLO.....

Don't call names- it does not become you.

thebajarunner - 2-19-2007 at 05:52 PM

Once more.....
Go back and re-read the direct paste from US Customs.
It says "alcohol"
If you want to argue that 3% or 4% or 6% is not really alcohol, then be my guest.
And no, I am not going to call you a name,
just suggest you take your own advice and go back and read (not the chatter, the law)

tim40 - 2-19-2007 at 05:58 PM

Interesting thread. A business I have come to know of on the mainland brokers and then private labels some fine tequila. The catch is they only will do so in case quantities. Far from complete, but my research had ended with I could not legally bring it home....so each time I always wonder about the possibility of shipping a bottle from Mex to each of the friends I would ultimately give the tequila to if I were to bring it home. Any ideas???

bajalou - 2-19-2007 at 06:04 PM

If you ship a bottle to someone, I believe they are the importer for legal purposes.

elgatoloco - 2-19-2007 at 06:51 PM

We were told by SENTRI that not only is the limit 1 litre but that is in each 30 day period. So we can no longer go down every few days and be legal. :(

As for being ASKED if you have liqour or anything else you technically are supposed to DECLARE everything without being asked.

If they find something that you did not declare,even if it is legal to bring back, they can take away your SENTRI pass.

It has happened. Be diligent.

A few summers ago we came back to the states from our casa in Baja Norte on three successive weekends with limes. No problema. A week later we went down for six days, while we were down there they found med fly in San Diego County and banned limes. While we were in line we saw a notice posted on a pole as we neared the inspection booth. We told the guy we had limes he copped a chitty attitude sent us to secondary with a nasty note they threatend to take away our SENTRI passes because we were trying to 'smuggle' banned items into the states. I told one of the officials what had transpired over the last month and that we had NO idea of the recent ban AND that we declared said items as we always do. He looked up our crossing record and was able to see when we had crossed and he let us go with a stern warning not to bring anything illegal back.

Attitude is everything.

Gato

The Gull - 2-19-2007 at 07:07 PM

You were lucky, maybe your attitude helped, but you were lucky.

Yes, the rule has always been 30 days for 1 liter and that was before Sentri. You can go down for 1 hour and still be legal, you can only do that once in a 30 day period.

Back in 1974, I was crossing on and off for a week with friends from Alaska. When I drove, we had one bottle for each of us. When they drove they could bring back lots more because at that time the interpretation was not what state where you crossed, but what state was your residence. They had Alaska licenses and virtually unlimited booze privledges. I had them driving a lot.

The "lime" rule has been around for years.

Before the Sentri game, the agent would ask something like, "what are you bringing back from Mexico?" Can this be construed to mean, "I don't need to tell you about the limes or the other stuff (like fireworks and two cases of Tecate) that I am not sure are OK to bring back."

Now with the Sentri pass, I declare crap that I brought with me to Mexico, since it is not clear to anyone if something is re-exportable (re-importable).

The Gull - 2-19-2007 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera

Is it true that people returning by plane can bring in four liters?

Lera, since the liquor experts have ignored your question...

Internally, not advised.

Externally, depends on the points of departure and arrival. Carribbean to Chicago, maybe. La Paz to LA, not likely.

Remember, you can bring as much as you can, if you don't get caught.

[Edited on 2-20-2007 by The Gull]

Has this changed?

Dave - 2-19-2007 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
When they drove they could bring back lots more because at that time the interpretation was not what state where you crossed, but what state was your residence.

And wouldn't the vehicle also need to be registered in Alaska?

The Gull - 2-19-2007 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
When they drove they could bring back lots more because at that time the interpretation was not what state where you crossed, but what state was your residence.

And wouldn't the vehicle also need to be registered in Alaska?

It was. I don't know what the rule are. There is so much information on the web, it conflicts. I have had multiple interpretations given to me by the Customs agents at the border, so my confusion is not unique.

Also, please think this through...the Federal Government (HLS) cannot enforce state rules - not their jurisdiction. So the 1 bottle limit for California should not be enforceable by the Customs agent.

RICHARDH - 2-20-2007 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by unbob
IOW, if the bottles have been opened, they don't count. True?

TIA, Rob(erto)

I seem to recall that it is illegal to have any opened liquor bottles in a motor vehicle on California "highways" (i.e., public roads). The U.S. Customs agents are supposedly enforcing laws and regulations within the "domain" of several different agencies, but I don't know if that includes the California vehicle code.

Here is what the Customs website says

thebajarunner - 2-20-2007 at 04:11 PM

Once again, I suggest that you read what Customs says on their own site.

quote>The total amount of alcohol you may enter the country with is primarily determined by the laws of the state where you will arrive back into the U.S. Each state's ABC board (or equivalent ) sets the amount of alcohol a person may bring into the state without a license or permit from that state. Travelers must check with the appropriate state ABC board, as the amounts vary from state to state. We regret that we are unable to provide this information, but CBP staff is not able to maintain information about each of the 50 State's various requirements.< end quote

If we are talking California, then see my previous post paraphrasing California's website.

One liter per adult.

As to "open containers"---- well, I did not think that one was worth responding to.

And, as to whether or not the Grumpy Dude at the gate can be persuaded that you live in Mississippi or East BoHunk, and so are exempt from California's one liter limit....
Well, good luck with that one as well.

What does the customs website say about...

The Gull - 2-20-2007 at 05:12 PM

open containers of cocaine?

Please read it to me.

Question for Gull

thebajarunner - 2-20-2007 at 07:38 PM

Do you walk to school or do you take your lunch?

Answer to Gull's question.....

BajaVida - 2-20-2007 at 08:02 PM

it's Slammer time!!

Bajarunner.....

Tomas Tierra - 2-20-2007 at 10:15 PM

Appologies...that was not nice,AND you were right...

I feel better hope you do to

The Gull - 2-20-2007 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

Does this mean you won't read it to me? Can't you tell when someone is offering up something with "tongue in cheek"? Sheeesh.

I really like your repetitive posts, above, where you were treating other Nomads like children who were incapable of reading. Must just be a personal trait. Are you, were you a school teacher?

"Once again, I suggest..."

Oh Brother, does that reek of something...get over it.

David K - 2-20-2007 at 11:15 PM

Amo, for us in California it is 1 litre (3 cans beer, litre of wine or tequila, etc.)... No option to pay tax for additional bottles (unfortunately)!

This California law was set up to protect California bars and liquor stores at the end of prohibition, I think...

We really would like to bring over some L.A. Cetto wine to enjoy at home! Well, more than 2 bottles at a time, anyway!

Accepted, with a smile

thebajarunner - 2-20-2007 at 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Appologies...that was not nice,AND you were right...

I feel better hope you do to

and yeah, my partner often refers to my "ascerbic wit" as something to be contained, when possible....

Yes, I did teach at one time

thebajarunner - 2-21-2007 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

Does this mean you won't read it to me? Can't you tell when someone is offering up something with "tongue in cheek"? Sheeesh.

I really like your repetitive posts, above, where you were treating other Nomads like children who were incapable of reading. Must just be a personal trait. Are you, were you a school teacher?

"Once again, I suggest..."

Oh Brother, does that reek of something...get over it.

I taught for three years at Cal State University Stanislaus. Loved it, it was just not a career path I wished to pursue.

As to treating Nomads as children....
Well, one reason I never tried teaching below the university level is that I preferred working with a more mature mindset.

On occasion, it was necessary to assist some of the slower students, but generally having them go back and re-read the material was solution/sufficient.

As to making smart remarks, off topic, well the way I dealt with that was simply take the student aside after class, smile and say, "If getting a grade and credit for this class is important, you need to stay on topic and save the smart alec questions for some other class."

"reeks"???

"get over it??""

que es su problema?

David K

bajaguy - 2-21-2007 at 07:39 PM

Not to throw gasoline on a fire, but the way I read the US Customs regulations is that each ADULT person can bring into California one liter...........so, if you take Baja Angel that equals 2 liters per trip.....you should have a case of wine in no time!!!

Baja Angel

thebajarunner - 2-21-2007 at 09:11 PM

Baja Vida and I had coffee with DK and Baja Angel last Spring, and I swear that she is not a day over 19.
Soooooo, no luck on bringin' back the booze.....
uh uh.
wait until she gets a little older.

David K - 2-21-2007 at 09:14 PM

DICK, ARE TRYING TO SCORE SOME POINTS WITH MY GIRL?!:wow::saint:

thebajarunner - 2-21-2007 at 09:28 PM

david, you should know better,
dating young girls may be o.k. in the deep south,
but not in SoCal
Baja Vida agrees and he should know

heh heh heh

bajarunner

Baja Angel - 2-22-2007 at 12:08 AM

:tumble: Thank you :spingrin:
I don't know what you and Baja Vida might be up to but you definitely scored the points.... :saint:
P.S. You know we can't tell David, right? ;D

bajadock - 4-11-2012 at 09:34 AM

Still trying to comb through all of the reg's and figger this out.

My understanding is that as a Colorado licensed driver, the 1 liter limit does not apply to me. Can anyone else confirm?

David K - 4-11-2012 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
Still trying to comb through all of the reg's and figger this out.

My understanding is that as a Colorado licensed driver, the 1 liter limit does not apply to me. Can anyone else confirm?

Wow, you dragged up a 5 year old thread with this question! I have read from other NON-CALIFORNIANs that this is true.

BajaBlanca - 4-11-2012 at 10:00 AM

I didn't realize this was such an old thread til you just mentioned it LOL

This is a very interesting thread. I always assumed that when they ask you what you are bringing back, it is because you are ready and able to declare any item you have and not be sent to secondary for a reprimand...esp since there is no separate lane for those wanting to make a declaration of itmes .... so ...... are you supposed to start talking before the officer says "Hello, what are you bringing back ?"

On another note- once we were returning to Mexico and the customs agent and I had the following conversation:

"how much wine do you have?" as she looks at the boxes of wine
"two cases, one red and one white."
"why do you have so much ?
I thought about it for half a second and came back with
"because I like it !".

she said OK and let it go at that ..... We have had a good laugh over that one quite often.

bajadock - 4-11-2012 at 10:01 AM

DK, thought I would provide a reference so that others with interest in same topic would find historic discussion and information.

As I searched for an answer for my question before posting, this thread has the most information related to it.

Still hoping to find an answer to my question. Thanks.

David K - 4-11-2012 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
DK, thought I would provide a reference so that others with interest in same topic would find historic discussion and information.

As I searched for an answer for my question before posting, this thread has the most information related to it.

Still hoping to find an answer to my question. Thanks.

Yah, no problem... If you are not a Califonia resident, then you are not restricted by California's liquor laws... Have you tried Googling the Internet for the law in print?

Here it is from http://www.abc.ca.gov/permits/importing.html :

Returning from Mexico

Section 23661 of the CA Business and Professions Code limits the quantity of alcohol brought into California from Mexico for personal or household use as follows:

A pedestrian crossing the international border on foot may bring in only the amount of alcoholic beverages which are exempt from payment of duty in accordance with the existing provision of federal law (currently, this is one-liter every 31 days). Note: This limit applies to all persons regardless of state or country of residence. No waivers are available.

A California resident crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier may bring in only the amount of alcoholic beverages which are exempt from payment of duty in accordance with the existing provisions of federal law (currently, this is one-liter every 31 days).

Non-California residents crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier can bring with them a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.

A California resident or any other person crossing the international border via common carrier may bring in a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.

No person under 21 years of age may bring in any quantity of alcoholic beverages.

[Edited on 4-11-2012 by David K]

elgatoloco - 4-11-2012 at 10:11 AM

We have friends who split time between Baja and Michigan. We had dinner with them last night at La Fonda. They are heading home for the summer on Monday and he is taking 60 bottles of wine from various wineries only because that is the max he can take. I was upset because all this time he could have been bringing me loads of goods. I can hardly wait for his return next fall. :dudette:

elgatoloco - 4-11-2012 at 10:15 AM

I should note that it is possible that you would have to pay duty on any amount over the one liter per person. That has not been the case for our friend the last two years. He has Sentri pass and last two times they looked at his Michigan license and sent him on his way.

durrelllrobert - 4-11-2012 at 10:21 AM

My experience is that going into CA with more more than 1 liter/person they make YOU open the excess and pour it in the sink. Also, going into Texas you pay duty on the first liter.

bajadock - 4-11-2012 at 10:23 AM

DK, thanks and yes, I have read the legal stuff. Was hoping to hear from real world on what happens to a non-CAL wine "mule".

Matt, thanks for your info and your MI friends' experience on it. THAT is the exact info I was needing. 5 cases? Hmmm. My Colorado friends should be drooling in anticipation.

willardguy - 4-11-2012 at 10:25 AM

I always smuggle a few extra liters across in me!:wow:

bent-rim - 4-12-2012 at 07:58 AM

How much can you bring into Arizona? I've always brought back tequila because of the 1 liter limit. I would like to bring back some wine, but with the 1 liter limit it's not worth it.

Bajajorge - 4-12-2012 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RICHARDH
Quote:
Originally posted by unbob
IOW, if the bottles have been opened, they don't count. True?

TIA, Rob(erto)

I seem to recall that it is illegal to have any opened liquor bottles in a motor vehicle on California "highways" (i.e., public roads). The U.S. Customs agents are supposedly enforcing laws and regulations within the "domain" of several different agencies, but I don't know if that includes the California vehicle code.

So you're saying prior to leaving from point "A" to go to point "B", you have to consume any and all alcohol that is in an open bottle, or face possible fees or fines.
So now you're blotto.:o You get in your car to drive from "A" to "B", which we all know is also an illegal act, punishible to the severest.
:light:Sounds like a money making scheme to me.:?::tumble::spingrin:

Whew, was I really that caustic??

thebajarunner - 4-12-2012 at 03:09 PM

5 plus years and counting on this thread,
boy does it have legs.

Sorry about all the sarcasm, I am no longer sarcastic, acerbic or demeaning in my controlled outbursts.

Just ask me,

(s) the reformed smartass......

David K - 4-12-2012 at 05:08 PM

>>>A California resident or any other person crossing the international border via common carrier may bring in a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.

:light: Seems to me the ticket is to ride the Mexi-Coach across the border!

willardguy - 4-12-2012 at 05:13 PM

well riddle me this. what difference does it make if this thread is 5 years or 5 hours old? are we using up valuable space that could be used for more mark and olivia banter?

Marc - 4-12-2012 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
well riddle me this. what difference does it make if this thread is 5 years or 5 hours old? are we using up valuable space that could be used for more mark and olivia banter?

Yea. We could add to "The List":lol::lol::lol:

edm1 - 4-12-2012 at 06:46 PM

Last summer coming back from Baja Sur my wife and I had 750 ml bottles of Grand Marnier, Remy Martin, Damiana, Sangria wine, and several bottles of Pacifico in my motorhome's refrigerator. And everytime I cross the border (except one time), they've always sent me to secondary. So anyway, after answering their question about liquor and telling them I have some in the fridge, they board the vehicle and inspect. They cleared us without any duty fees or any problems. Lucky?

Udo - 4-12-2012 at 07:43 PM

I think I am voting with DK on this one. I recall bringing back five tequila bottles via the Mexicoach (where you have to disembark and go through customs and get your bags scanned).
No one said anything to me about the extra bottles.

I seem to also recall that if one has possession of an out of state driver's license (such as South Dakota, Nevada, etc.), the one liter per person applies only to california residents, not out of state residents. I could be mistaken, and am willing to take a castigation for the statement.:bounce:

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
>>>A California resident or any other person crossing the international border via common carrier may bring in a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.

David K - 4-13-2012 at 12:09 AM

I would print out the rules from the Official web page, since I know for a fact not every customs officer knows the rules...

I was sent to secondary in Tecate once for declaring limes... once the secondary official saw the paper on my windshield, she laughed and sent me on my way!

bajadock - 4-20-2012 at 07:01 AM

Brought a case of
La Villa del Valle Big Blend crossing north at Tecate yesterday at noon. 3 car wait.

CBP: "Where are you going?"

Me: "San Diego"

CBP: "What are you bringing back with you?"

Me: "Case of wine."

CBP: "Is that all? Have a good trip"

No presentation of my Colorado driver's license, no muss, no fuss.

4 cases of Trader Joe's "beverages" brought south with me yesterday afternoon at Tijuana.

lizard lips - 4-20-2012 at 07:15 AM

Just invite me to the party Doc......

bajadock - 4-20-2012 at 07:21 AM

This thread is the kind of info on BajaNomad that really helps me. Hope it helps others.

Was lamenting the lack of trip reports and other "how to", "where to", "when to", "WHO to" threads on BajaNomad at breakfast(MI KAZA ENSENADA) yesterday morning with another Nomad.

Guess I owe a trip report on my Wednesday night adventures in downtown 'Nada.

[Edited on 4-20-2012 by bajadock]

Mexitron - 4-20-2012 at 07:28 AM

Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking! :light:

Actually though, seems like alchohol is about the same price in Mexico these days, so less of a motivation to bring any back, that is unless its something you can only get down there.

Sweetwater - 4-20-2012 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking! :light:

Actually though, seems like alchohol is about the same price in Mexico these days, so less of a motivation to bring any back, that is unless its something you can only get down there.

I would tell you that the prices and quality of tequila are very different in Baja than is the state I reside....and where you purchase it is another factor. While I hear of constant driving issues in Ciudad Constitucion, I have not heard about their tequila pricing. Well, my experience is that the best variety and pricing is at the mercado's in Constitucion. I will always stop and buy some tequila there....got a liter of good Reposado with a small kicker bottle last trip.....120 pesos.........how's that for "valuable" information.........:yes:

bajadock - 5-2-2012 at 10:16 AM

Crossed at Tecate this morning at 08:40. 2 car wait. Declared the same case that I crossed with last month, except it was 2 bottles lighter.

Got a lecture from younger CBP guy. He gave me the "1 L limit" riot act. I asked if he knew about the non-California resident portion of the statute. He walked over to his buddy's booth and asked several questions. big drama. Sent to secondary.

Secondary asked me if I was stopping anywhere in California and if I was selling the wine. I told them I was driving to Denver, Colorado, which is true.

Their antennas were also up about me living in Ensenada(had my CFE bill), driver's license in Colorado and California plates. Wait til they see my SoDakota plates next time.

Forgot about an apple(Wash State Gala...my favorites) in the car and got scolded about that. After a 15 minute wait, they eased up and told me "non-commercial use and 60 liters" is the limit.

CHEERS

WOW!!!!!

bajaguy - 5-2-2012 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Crossed at Tecate this morning at 08:40. 2 car wait. Declared the same case that I crossed with last month, except it was 2 bottles lighter......................

Secondary asked me if I was stopping anywhere in California and if I was selling the wine. I told them I was driving to Denver, Colorado, which is true........

........After a 15 minute wait, they eased up and told me "non-commercial use and 60 liters" is the limit.

CHEERS

Sure would like to get that in writing or find the rule/regulation.

Doc.......is that just for wine or any alcohol such as tequila or brandy????

Debra - 5-2-2012 at 12:26 PM

Everytime I get the same thing. They always ask, I always declare, I'm usually "over" They ask me if I'm returning to Wa. State, I say yes (sometimes a small fib........I do eventurally) They then tell me to remember next time, 1 liter. per person, kids included........ go figure?

El Camote - 5-2-2012 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
After a 15 minute wait, they eased up and told me "non-commercial use and 60 liters" is the limit.

CHEERS

60 liters is the capacity of my gas tank. hmmmmm. :light:

bajadock - 5-3-2012 at 08:10 AM

Terry, after they eased up on me, I decided to engage for my educational purposes and potential future crossings with wine. I did not get clarification on hard liquor, but, I'm guessing(iknowiknow) that it's "alchohol" in general.

In Mesquite, NV and will be in Denver for happy hour 2nite. cheers

bajadock - 4-7-2013 at 04:59 PM

California ABC page

Non-California residents crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier can bring with them a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use. Section 23661 of the CA Business and Professions Code

Due to my Colorado driver's license and conversations this week, I have several new friends. cheers

[Edited on 4-8-2013 by bajadock]

DENNIS - 4-7-2013 at 05:37 PM

Quote:

Non-California residents crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier can bring with them a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use. Section 23661 of the CA Business and Professions Code

That's interesting, Doc, that the feds at the border would have regulations that are influenced by state law. They sure arn't that generous when it comes to marijuana.

bajadock - 4-7-2013 at 05:59 PM

Dennis, no, I'm not going to test Colorado's new weed law at the border anytime in the near future.

Perhaps a Nomad legal type can tell us how a Fed operation(CBP) can have jurisdiction on state(in this alcohol topic = California) law. Seems like Cal's wine lobby has done lots of lobbying to get the 1 liter limit enforced.