BajaNomad

Tortas?

Alan - 2-26-2007 at 11:11 AM

Looking for suggestions of where to introduce my daughter to Tortas. Fell in love with them years ago at a little Torta stand across from the Club/Bar Mira Mar in SF then just drifted away from them over the years as I haven't been back to San Felipe in about 18 years.

Looking for suggestions in both US and Baja. Most time in Baja for the last several years has been spent in Sur but should be making the drive to La Paz in a few more months so anywhere in between will work as well.

The ones I have had in the US weren't even close. Rubio's had a special for a couple of months that started to come close but it was for a limited time only.:(

Bob H - 2-26-2007 at 11:24 AM

Taqueria El Trailero, on the way to Ensenada, is exquisite.
It's located in El Sauzal, get on the frontage road, East side. Big Sign in RED, I think. You will see lots of people eating there.

The tortas are in another class, filled with "the works," including frijoles de olla and fresh Camalu tomatoes.

You will have all the information you need regarding tortas from this former thread, and other places too along the way.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=20312#pid2021...

Bob H

[Edited on 2-26-2007 by Bob H]

osoflojo - 2-26-2007 at 12:10 PM

If you get as far a Cabo try Gordo Lele. His little stand is about 50 yards off Marina Blvd.

DanO - 2-26-2007 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Taqueria El Trailero, on the way to Ensenada, is exquisite.

I concur.

Alan - 2-26-2007 at 04:23 PM

I feel a day trip coming on!

AmoPescar - 2-27-2007 at 02:38 AM

If you do a search of the Nomad files, you'll find lots of references to good places to find Tortas.

I love them too, and some of the best I've had were at CHINA'S, a small taqueria in BOLA, right next to the LIZETH's market (on the right - heading south)

As Bob H. wrote, El Trailero is supposed to have GREAT Tortas. It's often mentioned in postings and many feel theirs are the best.

Miguelamo :yes:

larry - 2-27-2007 at 10:09 AM

Try any taqueria or taco truck in any Mexican neighborhood in California

Pappy Jon - 2-27-2007 at 12:20 PM

Ok, what is a torta? [newbie ducking from impending onslaught]

fdt - 2-27-2007 at 12:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torta

larry - 2-27-2007 at 12:34 PM

It is a sandwich, usually on a roll similar to a bolillo (Mexican-style french roll), with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, avocado, salsa, sometimes crema or mayonesa, and taqueria meat such as asada, carnitas, al pastor, pollo, lengua, pierna, etc.

Most taquerias serve tacos, burritos and tortas with your choice of meat.

I think I gotta go down to East 14th Street for lunch about now.

DENNIS - 2-27-2007 at 12:36 PM

A torta is a Mexican Gyro, only much better.

Pappy Jon - 2-27-2007 at 01:21 PM

This is another example of what one can learn everyday. Guess I have something new to try next visit.

[Edited on 2-27-2007 by Pappy Jon]

David K - 2-27-2007 at 06:52 PM

Torta, a Mexican 'sandwich' of hot meat (carne asada or carnitas, usually) with guacamole, lettace, some salsa, on a large roll, like a bolillo... Obviously many variations!

Best I have had was in Tecate, on the free Mexicali highway, just east of the new U.S. border entrance road...

Try a torta CUBANA

BAJACAT - 2-27-2007 at 06:58 PM