BajaNomad

Improving Spanish

baja Steve - 3-3-2007 at 09:09 AM

I am looking to improve my Spanish. Any experience or recommendations as far as CD’s or tape courses.

DENNIS - 3-3-2007 at 09:12 AM

Rossetta Stone.

Cypress - 3-3-2007 at 09:14 AM

The Babel Fish Online translation site is good.:spingrin:

Ken Bondy - 3-3-2007 at 09:23 AM

I just bought and downloaded from iTunes two volumes of something called "Rapid Spanish" by Earworms Learning (I'm just the messenger here, that's what they are called). Both volumes are about 1.5 hours long, and I've listened to about half of the first one. Different style, set to music, with a male and female exchanging phrases about typical situations, travel, restaurants, numbers, days, months, etc. The first volume is pretty basic, but it was getting better. Very easy to listen to, and I think it is going to be very helpful. The two actors build on previously learned words. It's worth looking into. I will report back after I have gone through both volumes.

[Edited on 3-3-2007 by Ken Bondy]

KenS - 3-3-2007 at 09:56 AM

If you don't mind a "hit or miss" approach there are several amateur (my assumption) podcasts on I-tunes designed to teach spanish. The only one I've listened to was "Notes in Spanish Advanced" which I didn't really care for. (can't put my finger on the "why")

"Rolling R's" is a videocast which I've downloaded but haven't had a chance to watch yet. "Learn spanish with coffee break spanish" is another podcast.

I found the above casts because I was looking for general podcasts in spanish (news, culture, whatever) so if anyone has a lead on good spanish language podcasts I'd love to hear about them.

Ken

bajabound2005 - 3-3-2007 at 11:06 AM

Rocket Spanish is pretty good and fairly priced.
http://www.rocketlanguages.com/spanish/

bufeo - 3-3-2007 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja Steve
I am looking to improve my Spanish. Any experience or recommendations as far as CD’s or tape courses.

Steve, as a former language teacher and military linguist I am a strong proponent of the benefits of an instructor and other students with whom to communicate.

I own two software programs and several texts with tapes, all for Spanish, and they have helped immensely, but they are no substitute for the classes I took in Santa Fe, NM, and Santa Barbara, CA, over a period of three years.

I'll bet that the Central Oregon Community College in Bend has a course that would fit your needs.

We carry a set of Visual Education® vocabulary words in our truck and during the two-day trip to P. Bufeo from Idaho we review them.

With on-line translation help, such as the Babel Fish® site, one has to be careful. They are great for those who already have a working knowledge of the grammar and vocabulary, but they can be downright funny if used directly without editing.

Skeet/Loreto - 3-3-2007 at 12:21 PM

Go to the "Spainlish" web site and it will help with many of the words and Phrases used by the common Mexicanos of Baja.

Go to Baja and if of the mind find a very Beautiful "Bedroom Dictionary", you will be surprised how fast and easy Spanish will be learned.

Slang is very common in Baja.

Good Luck.

Skeet/Loreto

KenS - 3-3-2007 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by KenS
If you don't mind a "hit or miss" approach there are several amateur (my assumption) podcasts on I-tunes

It's almost embarrasing to admit this, but I've never used I-Tunes. Can one use that without any Apple products?

--Larry

You can definately use iTunes on a windows computer (I do) I'm not sure about interfacing with an mp3 player other than an iPod, but I doubt it.

Podcasts are in the mp3 format, so they could be loaded onto another player manually. (or just listen to them on your computer) Additionally there are tools other than iTunes to get podcasts, but I'm not familiar with them.

Ken

Natalie Ann - 3-3-2007 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
.... as a former language teacher and military linguist I am a strong proponent of the benefits of an instructor and other students with whom to communicate.

I'm with you on this one bufeo. I've spoken "spanish" for many years... generally able to make myself understood, more easily able to understand most of what's being said to me. This trip south, I've been working with a tutor and staying in a household where mi amiga speaks only espanol... week number one I advanced light years in learning/pronunciation.

MHO - CD sets can be helpful, but there's nothing like real lessons and some language immersion for learning.

baja Steve - 3-3-2007 at 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone that info helps a lot and it looks like I better get to work on it.

bufeo - 3-3-2007 at 09:23 PM

Que 'ueno, Esteban.

I have found this to be my most frequent and useful expression:

Lo siento, pero no entiendo quieres decir.

Paula - 3-3-2007 at 09:47 PM

Bufeo,

It would be better to say:

Lo siento, pero no entiendo que quieras decir :biggrin:

DENNIS - 3-3-2007 at 09:55 PM

O, quiero

chino - 3-3-2007 at 10:03 PM

Hey Steve,
Look for a book called " Community is my language classroom", and it's companion book "Language Acquisition Made Practical", they may be available from "Lingua House Ministries" in Pasadena
It helped us alot, lots of pointers on setting up situations in a community where you dont know any one, it's all about learning a little and using alot, we spent six weeks in a small town in southern baja where we didnt know anyone, after six weeks we had lots of friends and a good grasp on Spanish. good luck!

craiggers - 3-3-2007 at 11:41 PM

I recently a bought program called Spanish Deluxe by Cosmi for 30something dollars at Target. I'm sure it's not the best in the world but you can't beat the price. There is a lot of content with some really nice features.

Here is a link: (click on "Spanish Deluxe" on the right)

http://www.cosmi.com//OnlineStore/ProductCatalog/ProductDeta...

[Edited on 3-4-2007 by craiggers]

bufeo - 3-4-2007 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Bufeo,

It would be better to say:

Lo siento, pero no entiendo que quieras decir :biggrin:

¡Ayyy! Gracias, Paula. Claro. Mi español no es muy correcto. :(

4baja - 3-5-2007 at 07:08 AM

rosetta stone, i got my copy on e-bay and recommend it. fairly pricey though but worth it.:coolup:

Spanish Courses

surfdog - 3-6-2007 at 01:16 PM

Instant Imersion Soanish is pretty good - Costco $30 is great but requires you to follow along with the book. It is more formal in it's approach and explains alot of the grammar. I learned things about English I didn't know.

Also, Speed Spanish from Amazon ~$20 is great for listening in the car. It is more question/answer and phrase based learning.

Good luck!

[Edited on 3-6-2007 by surfdog]

kitjv - 3-6-2007 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja Steve

Steve,

I live in Bend as well. Check out the Primsleur series on Spanish at the Bend Library. There are 3 levels Spanish 1, 2 & 3. My understanding is that the U.S. Foreign Service has used this series for their staff.