BajaNomad

Outboard motor cleaning

bajaandy - 3-14-2007 at 10:03 AM

Ok... this may sound like a dumb question, but I was told years ago that it's better to ask a dumb question than to make a dumb mistake...

When boating in Baja, what's the best way to purge the saltwater from your outboard when in a remote location? What techniques do you fellow nomads use?

Barry A. - 3-14-2007 at 10:08 AM

If you are down there for less than a few weeks, I would not worry about it.

But DO rinse it out when you get back home, for sure, by either running it in a fresh water lake, trash can, or useing the attachment that allows you to attach the cooling vents (water intakes) to a garden hose-----available at WALL MART for just a few bucks.

bajaandy - 3-14-2007 at 10:13 AM

Yeah... I'm really good about flushing every time I take it out when I launch here in local waters, (I use the ear-phone shaped things that go over the water intakes)and even give it a good Salt-Away rinse as well, but I wonder about letting the saltwater dry inside everyday when down in Baja.

comitan - 3-14-2007 at 10:17 AM

Just do as the Mexicans do. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

vandenberg - 3-14-2007 at 10:22 AM

I'm with Comitan. The fishermen, who keep their boats on the beaches, never seem to worry about flushing their engines. My Mexican mechanic tells me it's not important for alluminum to be flushed,like iron. Go figure !!:?::?:

Barry A. - 3-14-2007 at 10:25 AM

Salt Water WILL corrode aluminum in time, and it WILL destroy your engine over the years. The fishermen in Baja probable wear out their engines before that happens, tho.

comitan - 3-14-2007 at 10:39 AM

In the end I think Barry has it figured out.

Skipjack Joe - 3-14-2007 at 12:20 PM

Using your outboard in baja will age it faster than what you are now doing stateside.

I bring a short hose and an adapter to baja and flush it with fresh water whenever there is an opportunity. Some of the campgrounds have piped water and I take the opportunity. You can flush your engine at the San Lucas RV park and at the Tripui RV park if you are staying there.

I use that SALT Away product also. I hope it's as helpful as they advertise.

bajaandy - 3-14-2007 at 01:19 PM

What I'm really talking about is being in relatively remote locations. I know that I can most likely stop off in some town and find a place to let me run a few gallons of fresh water through the motor. I'm just wondering if anyone else even worries about it (as Berry advises not to), or if anyone has some trick that works for them.

White Angel - 3-14-2007 at 01:35 PM

I wouldn't lose any sleep over a rinse; but then my motor sits on a moored sailboat and is in and out of salt water for 10-12 weeks a year-last year it sat in the ocean for a month due to a mounting problem. Salt WILL eat the aluminum; but it is not a rapid process. I rinse at the end of the season and the motor is now 19 yrs old. The outside housing has been eaten away some; but she keeps on ticking. Rinse when you get a chance; but after a cold one back at the rancho.

Minnow - 3-14-2007 at 02:36 PM

:lol:

bajaandy - 3-14-2007 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by White Angel
Rinse when you get a chance; but after a cold one back at the rancho.

That's it.... I'm taking White Angel's advice!

Flush

wakemall - 6-9-2007 at 08:11 PM

I always flush my motor after every salt water venture. I also run salt away each time. This is done on my CA IO and my Loreto outboard. Just makes me feel better. Who know if it makes a difference. Just makes me feel more comfortable knowing I have done my best to reduce salt water corrossian. I also spray every metal part down on the boat with salt away after every trip. Boats still look new after four years. Did I do this? Who knows. The Loreto trailer is getting rust no matter what I try. Thank you "pacific trailers" for having replacement parts. Pour used motor oil on the leaf springs to make them last.

Cypress - 6-10-2007 at 01:08 PM

Electrolysis will do a number on any metal left in salt water if it isn't protected by paint etc. If you get it out of salt water, a rinse with fresh water will reduce the corrosion.:yes:

4baja - 6-10-2007 at 07:13 PM

we leave our boats in the water the whole time down there and flush them out when we pull the boats out. dont worry about it andy as fresh water is worth its wait in gold. fish on.:coolup:

san lucas

lancesmith - 12-9-2007 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Using your outboard in baja will age it faster than what you are now doing stateside.

I bring a short hose and an adapter to baja and flush it with fresh water whenever there is an opportunity. Some of the campgrounds have piped water and I take the opportunity. You can flush your engine at the San Lucas RV park and at the Tripui RV park if you are staying there.

I use that SALT Away product also. I hope it's as helpful as they advertise.

bajajudy - 12-9-2007 at 10:35 PM

According to the local fishermen here, if you just put an old t-shirt on it that will protect it. :P

vgabndo - 12-9-2007 at 10:56 PM

Here's one I didn't think about, and it has cost me.

I have always flushed my motors when I take the boat off the beach and leave after my trips. That seems to have worked OK. A few years ago when we up-graded, I did the same for my Honda 9.9 HP, and with the cover off, gave the interior a nice fresh water spraying off. I left the hood off and let her dry before putting the cover on and taking the little engine home. It sat for a couple of years before I checked on it, and there had been residual fresh water trapped under the cover. The magnito/charging coils had fused to the flywheel. I had the devil's own time getting it disassembled, and now I have a few hundred dollars in replacement parts to buy.

I realize that this isn't the right spot to say it, but the Honda, as is, with a solid 12' Gregor on a lightweight trailer are all for sale in Mt. Shasta. U2U me if you've got a winter trip planned and want a "Gene Kira Rig".