BajaNomad

HAUNTED PLACES OF BAJA.

BAJACAT - 3-25-2007 at 08:53 AM

While reading Pappy John's trip reports,about him camping alone in the ruins of Santa maria mission,a place where Im sure some people had a not so good departure,makes me wonder if there is any haunted places in Baja.The place that gives me the creeps is the canyon that you decent to reach el Volcan,by the onyx school.That place looks just like a perfect place for a horror movie:?:,while in San Borja some of the dark rooms inside the missions gives the empression that they are not empty:(.Two years ago while camping in HANSON, I was told that at night you can hear a baby crying?..so nomads what spooky stories do you guys have..I dare you to tellllllllllllllll:fire:

[Edited on 3-25-2007 by BAJACAT]

Haunted Canyon.JPG - 48kB

Osprey - 3-25-2007 at 08:59 AM

Bajacat, spirits don't just hang out, they move around. Almost any place in the dark is a place they might visit. Got me at Requeson. At our evening campfire we were joined by a wandering yaqui who just got out of prison for murder. The ghost of the murdered man had been his constant companion on his travels and when the tequila hit him you could see that the ghost was with him (with us). We ran him off but the ghost stayed the night in my cabana.

BAJACAT - 3-25-2007 at 09:02 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience Osprey,

TMW - 3-25-2007 at 09:52 AM

A couple of years ago in early June my two brothers and I were visiting mission Santa Gertrudis. On our way back toward El Arco it was getting dark so we turned south on a dirt road near Miraflores. After about a mile we pulled over into an opening and set up camp. While getting the beds set up and camp fire going and cooking dinner we all noticed that there were no animal or insect movement of any kind. No wind either. No birds. All was very quiet, spooky like. It was that way all night and the next morning. After breakfast we loaded up and left the way we came in. When we got to Miraflores and the main road we stopped and there was wind, birds singing, bugs on the ground, a rabbit running etc. Some day I'm going back to the camp spot and see if it's the same way.

David K - 3-25-2007 at 09:54 AM

http://vivabaja.com/et

Here is the place for ghosts and other strange stuff (per M)!

Bob H - 3-25-2007 at 11:01 AM

All of the ghosts and haunted places reside in tequila bottles! :lol:

Bob H

[Edited on 3-25-2007 by Bob H]

woody with a view - 3-25-2007 at 12:40 PM

Quote:

when the tequila hit him

so you must have been drinking cheap tequila. can't see another reason to throw tequila at a ghost???:lol:

Halboo - 3-25-2007 at 02:28 PM

I had an encounter with a fantasma en Mexico but it wasn't in Baja, it was at Barra de Navidad.
We had found an abandoned palapa to camp at when both my pal and I got a weird vibe; we both all of a sudden got the pelo de pollo and felt a creepy and not friendly presence; we got all freaked out and ended up buggin' out to a local hotel. Several weeks later when we got our pictures developed back in the states there was a "ghostly image" present in all the pictures we'd taken there. :O

jerry - 3-25-2007 at 02:44 PM

baja Haunted nooooo
Inchanted everywhere

Wotam - 3-25-2007 at 07:28 PM

>"we all noticed that there were no animal or insect movement of any kind. No wind either. No birds. All was very quiet, spooky like. It was that way all night and the next morning."

I know exactly what you're talking about. Waves breaking on the beach without a sound. Wind blowing, trees moving... no sound... straight from the twilight zone.

What's happened is that you've found a place inhabited by the elder spirits... sometimes called 'ta-kushtaka' or 'otter people' in the Haida/Tlingit culture of the Pacific Northwest. I didn't know that the phenonema extended down to Baja.

The defining characteristic of such an encounter is that all goes silent, un-naturally so... but when you leave the boundary of the 'inhabited' area, instantly the sounds return to normal.

If you ask a native american in the PNW... they will tell you it's best not to hang around in a spot frequented by the otter people. Very bad things can happen. I've blundered into a couple spots like that while out in wild areas. I've needed little encouragement to leave ASAP.

Your senses will tell you when things aren't quite right. Listen to them.

Halboo do you still have the pictures..?

BAJACAT - 3-25-2007 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Halboo
I had an encounter with a fantasma en Mexico but it wasn't in Baja, it was at Barra de Navidad.
We had found an abandoned palapa to camp at when both my pal and I got a weird vibe; we both all of a sudden got the pelo de pollo and felt a creepy and not friendly presence; we got all freaked out and ended up buggin' out to a local hotel. Several weeks later when we got our pictures developed back in the states there was a "ghostly image" present in all the pictures we'd taken there. :O
We would like to see them if possible..

Halboo - 3-26-2007 at 09:18 AM

:no: Nope;that incident happened about 30 years ago and the photos were misplaced a long time back.
I wish I still had them, makes the story that much better.

shari - 3-26-2007 at 09:45 AM

The village my husband grew up in is a notorious haunted place...everyone has LOTS of stories and our beach house in particular was the scene of many spooky things, dark figures hangin around outside, a lady touching your cheek as you sleep etc. It was a place where the spanish pirates buried their treasures and killed slaves to throw on top of the treasure to guard it....a few treasured have been found and lots of excavations around too. Apart from the ghosts there is even a ghost car which I too have seen.

BAJACAT - 3-27-2007 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
The village my husband grew up in is a notorious haunted place...everyone has LOTS of stories and our beach house in particular was the scene of many spooky things, dark figures hangin around outside, a lady touching your cheek as you sleep etc. It was a place where the spanish pirates buried their treasures and killed slaves to throw on top of the treasure to guard it....a few treasured have been found and lots of excavations around too. Apart from the ghosts there is even a ghost car which I too have seen.
Shari don;t say that , is bad PR for your bussines.:lol::lol::lol:

shari - 3-27-2007 at 09:04 PM

this is my new bad girl mood...I'm gonna scare EVERYONE off now so NOBODY comes here and NOBODY will EVER find out how cool it is...so there!:fire:

David K - 3-27-2007 at 09:52 PM

That's right, use REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY!

Kind of like us Baja people saying STAY OUT OF MEXICO: Full of banditos, corrupt cops, and poisonous snakes!

Well, maybe the 'bandito' part is out of line?:lol::lol::lol:

vacaenbaja - 3-27-2007 at 10:31 PM

I had a real scary time in Asuncion. Big underwater creatures
took every lure I had, broke all my 30lb line. Even stripped
the pinion gear on my acurrate converted jigmaster.
I am returning as soon as the winds die down with re enforcements. Bigger lures, heavy line and 4/0 to 6/0
reels. Whats the best time of year to go Shari?

shari - 3-28-2007 at 07:45 AM

Depends what ya wanna fish for...sea monsters? Summer is great for all round stuff, halibut from the beach, even yellow tail from the rocks then and gorgeous calm weather too....anytime from July - February though. Semana sant, spring break, is notorious for lousy fishing...just when everyone needs lots of fish as most here don't eat meat that week. Juan uses 60-8- lb test just to make sure! Look forward to meeting you.

wilderone - 3-28-2007 at 10:05 AM

Shari, any more earthquakes? Totally calm now? Any further reports from scientific types on what was happening?

BAJACAT - 3-28-2007 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
this is my new bad girl mood...I'm gonna scare EVERYONE off now so NOBODY comes here and NOBODY will EVER find out how cool it is...so there!:fire:
:lol::lol::lol::fire:

BirdDog - 3-28-2007 at 06:56 PM

I know for sure there is a ghost at shari's beach house. When we were ther in Feb I woke to find a women touching something and it wasn't my cheek.:biggrin:

it was gasper the friendly ghost

BAJACAT - 3-28-2007 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BirdDog
I know for sure there is a ghost at shari's beach house. When we were ther in Feb I woke to find a women touching something and it wasn't my cheek.:biggrin:

RockhouseTom - 3-29-2007 at 10:16 PM

My son loves to "night ride" in our Rino every night when we are at our place in BOLA. We have spent many unforgetable hours together, alone in Pitch black and moon light so bright that we run for miles with out lights, visions of the Baja 1000 dancing in our heads. We ride South from the Bay of LA past las Flores and the Cemetery and out into the waiting desert. At speed we have seen many Things that you can't identify and we have never slowed down to do so! When it is time to make our turn arround the hair on the back of our necks is standing straight up. Haunted? For Sure.:O

At least by us.

night riders.jpg - 47kB

David K - 3-30-2007 at 08:30 AM

Awesome stuff...

Besides the cemetery near the jail house in Las Flores... There is another, the one were the workers were buried... Have you been to it?

Photo of Desert Rat and Jesus Flores at the Las Flores Cemetery... (near the jail)...

[Edited on 3-30-2007 by David K]

Something strange in San Roque

zforbes - 3-30-2007 at 10:08 AM

I will attest to out-of-kilter things at San Roque that I'm still trying to put a logical spin on. Shari and I observed stationary lights on a hill where none should appear. I awoke to check the view throughout the night, and it was there until the dawn. We searched the area the next day and saw no sign of anything that would reflect moonlight. Now I'm wondering if maybe there were vapors released as part of the earthquake activity? Could they glow in the dark?

RockhouseTom - 3-30-2007 at 06:34 PM

David,

We have been to the Las Flores Cemetery a number of Times at Night. A very spooky place in the dark. Where is the one the workers were buried, in relation to the jail? Here is a photo of the inhabitants of the Jail on one of the night runs to Las Flores.

bats.jpg - 49kB

RockhouseTom - 3-30-2007 at 06:51 PM

Here is another picture of the inside of the jail during the day.

We Jailed part of Camp Gecko's kid crew. :light:

[Edited on 3-31-2007 by RockhouseTom]

gecko kid crew.jpg - 47kB

David K - 3-30-2007 at 08:00 PM

Hi Tom,

Cool bat photo...

I am still looking for the workers (or poor man's) graveyard... Sarah and I did some driving and hiking in the area we had heard it was in, but no luck yet. If I find it, you will be informed. If it appears to be a sensitive and unvisited place, I will check with the person who told me about it and the museum people before publishing here on Nomad.

Let's hope that the local ejido doesn't plow over the site like they did at San Juan de Dios (because it was virtually unknown and didn't have enough value to the locals to attract tourists)!

It is funny that there was even a 'class system' in death as their was in life, back then!

Las Flores was a big town for several years, and the mortality rate would have been far greater than the few graves that are near the jail.

BAJACAT - 3-30-2007 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zforbes
I will attest to out-of-kilter things at San Roque that I'm still trying to put a logical spin on. Shari and I observed stationary lights on a hill where none should appear. I awoke to check the view throughout the night, and it was there until the dawn. We searched the area the next day and saw no sign of anything that would reflect moonlight. Now I'm wondering if maybe there were vapors released as part of the earthquake activity? Could they glow in the dark?
That happen to us in Guadalupe Canyon, we keep looking at this light in one of the hills,it did'nt move it will be gone by dawn.My brother climb the hill the next day and found a solar yard light that somebody must off left there to have some fun with people like us.:?:

David K - 3-30-2007 at 09:04 PM

That solar yard light has been up there for awhile! They don't last too long normally, so it is surprising how long that one has lasted!

BAJACAT - 7-16-2009 at 07:31 PM

bump by me bajacat

mojo_norte - 7-16-2009 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
While reading Pappy John's trip reports,about him camping alone in the ruins of Santa maria mission,a place where Im sure some people had a not so good departure,makes me wonder if there is any haunted places in Baja.The place that gives me the creeps is the canyon that you decent to reach el Volcan,by the onyx school.That place looks just like a perfect place for a horror movie:?:,while in San Borja some of the dark rooms inside the missions gives the empression that they are not empty:(.Two years ago while camping in HANSON, I was told that at night you can hear a baby crying?..so nomads what spooky stories do you guys have..I dare you to tellllllllllllllll:fire:

[Edited on 3-25-2007 by BAJACAT]

ET

mojo_norte - 7-16-2009 at 09:20 PM

Any El Tomatil stories ..

http://vivabaja.com/et/

That place is definitely spooky. camp there and go running!

David K - 7-16-2009 at 09:25 PM

A certain British friend has some El Tomatal stories... Maybe with is new citizenship secured, he will finally tell us what happened there?

Skipjack Joe - 7-16-2009 at 11:05 PM

We had a visitor one evening at Pt. Final.

... but I already shared that with you.

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-17-2009 at 10:39 AM

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-17-2009 at 10:57 AM

Forty some years ago when I lived at Rancho El Metate in San Juan De Dios I was walking down the road as it was getting dark toward the gate to make sure it was closed. As I approached the gate I saw movement in my left peripheral. When I looked over I saw an Indian wearing what appeared to be a white shirt and white pants with a colorful headband and something colorful around his waist. He walked to within 30 feet of me, stopped, looked at me and appeared to say something then he turned around and walked off. As he walked off he just seemed to disappear. It scared the beJesus out of me. Sany told me there is an Indian spirit on the ranch property. Also one moonlit night I was standing outside of the current house at El Metate when it was under construction. All of a sudden the moonlit ground turned dark then light again. It was like something huge flew over and blocked the moon. That scared me too.

I'm told that if you are at El Marmol at night you can go to the cemetery located south west of the old school house and see apparitions walking or floating around.

[Edited on 7-17-2009 by ELINVESTI8]

fireface

landyacht318 - 7-17-2009 at 11:41 AM

I had to occupy a different campsite due to my usual being taken.
I wasn't very drunk, and wasn't on anything else, but myself and one other kept seeing things in the campfire, but couldn't agree on what kept showing up.

SO I took this photo which vaguely resembled a canine. When I put it on my PC the partial face appeared in the top right of the flames.

It was taken next to the sheer bluff at Punta Cabras. It has freaked out more than one person, on both sides of the border

BajaGeoff - 7-17-2009 at 01:48 PM

What about the giant horned pig on the left???!!!

Yikes!

landyacht318 - 7-17-2009 at 02:07 PM

Never noticed the devil pig before. Good eyes.

BajaGeoff - 7-17-2009 at 02:28 PM

I will be down at Cabras in a few weeks.....really hoping to not run into el puerco diablo!

BAJACAT - 7-18-2009 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
Forty some years ago when I lived at Rancho El Metate in San Juan De Dios I was walking down the road as it was getting dark toward the gate to make sure it was closed. As I approached the gate I saw movement in my left peripheral. When I looked over I saw an Indian wearing what appeared to be a white shirt and white pants with a colorful headband and something colorful around his waist. He walked to within 30 feet of me, stopped, looked at me and appeared to say something then he turned around and walked off. As he walked off he just seemed to disappear. It scared the beJesus out of me. Sany told me there is an Indian spirit on the ranch property. Also one moonlit night I was standing outside of the current house at El Metate when it was under construction. All of a sudden the moonlit ground turned dark then light again. It was like something huge flew over and blocked the moon. That scared me too.

I'm told that if you are at El Marmol at night you can go to the cemetery located south west of the old school house and see apparitions walking or floating around.

[Edited on 7-17-2009 by ELINVESTI8]
[/quoteEl Marmol alone is a scary place during the day, when i went looking for the Onix Volcano ( thanks David K) , that canyon gave me the creeps, you can hear sound or see any animals, I woulnd dare to go there at night.

[Edited on 7-18-2009 by BAJACAT]

el marmol.JPG - 17kB

Cypress - 7-18-2009 at 03:28 PM

Always bring my own ghosts.:lol:

vandenberg - 7-18-2009 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Always bring my own ghosts.:lol:

Heard you got a closet full.:biggrin:

Cypress - 7-18-2009 at 03:52 PM

vandenberg, A whole storage unit.:D

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-18-2009 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
El Marmol alone is a scary place during the day, when i went looking for the Onix Volcano ( thanks David K) , that canyon gave me the creeps, you can hear sound or see any animals, I woulnd dare to go there at night.

BAJACAT I have to agree with you. It is very spooky going in and out of those canyons. Here are a couple of photos when we spent the night a few miles south of El Volcan/soda springs.

El Marmol Crane

El Volcan/Soda Springs

Sany

Paco

David

Road going out of El Volcan/Soda Springs

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-19-2009 at 08:02 AM

My view of landyacht318's fire apparition.

landyacht318 - 7-19-2009 at 11:29 AM

I could not see that one, even with the tags. Took a nap, looked again.
fire dragon.

Will this post push me past the dreaded newbie label?

Cypress - 7-19-2009 at 01:11 PM

It might.:light:

BAJACAT - 7-20-2009 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by landyacht318
I could not see that one, even with the tags. Took a nap, looked again.
fire dragon.

Will this post push me past the dreaded newbie label?
it did

David K - 3-25-2011 at 06:03 PM

Thanks to BajaCat... time to bump again!

BajaGringo - 3-25-2011 at 06:15 PM

Many of the locals here in San Quintin talk about an old house we pass by on the way out to the beach. It is adobe construction, in very poor shape now with little left of the roof. They say it was built by a family of settlers over a hundred years ago and has sat abandoned now for several decades. Those brave enough to venture out there at night have reportedly witnessed strange happenings there including apparitions, the sound of a banging hammer like a blacksmith, voices, footsteps and more.

I have been trying to convince Cristina to go with me to check it out but so far no luck.

Any takers here???

:biggrin:

[Edited on 3-26-2011 by BajaGringo]

David K - 3-25-2011 at 10:30 PM

Sure Ron, I'll go with you. I don't believe in ghosts... just aliens from space:O

BajaGringo - 3-26-2011 at 06:12 AM

How about the ghost of a dead alien?

David K - 3-26-2011 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
How about the ghost of a dead alien?

Nope, it is still a ghost! :light::wow:

Now, lets grab a bottle of Gran Centenario Aņejo and drive out to San Juan de Dios or El Metate and wait for those globes that ELINVESTIG8R has seen in his photos!:o