BajaNomad

What is your best recipe for cooking shrimp??

Bajafun777 - 4-9-2007 at 09:19 PM

Ok, I was cooking some shrimp I had defrosted from a trip down to Ensenada earlier in the year and was using a beer batter with some galic and red pepper seasonings, when I thought about what other recipes are out there:light:???? Ok, the floor is open and no one way of cooking them is the norm anything goes~~~~~ bajafun777

Diver - 4-9-2007 at 09:29 PM

Panko batter !
Use it alone with some salt and pepper for fish tacos or with some added shredded coconut for a a nice dinner served over rice or polenta.

Panko batter also makes the best tacos IMAO !

Or, lightly saute some garlic in butter then add a bit of white wine and lemon, salt and pepper. Wrap the shrimp in foil with julien carrots, scallions and a few tablespoons of the suate then cook in the oven or on the grill. Pour the shrimp and juice over rice and go for it !

Oh, I could go on ..... yummy !

Paula - 4-9-2007 at 10:11 PM

Diver, what is panko batter?

Peel N Eat

Sharksbaja - 4-9-2007 at 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Oh, I could go on ..... yummy !

Please do.;D

"Sharks Peel n Eat Tiger Prawns":
Take a large handful of pickling spice and a couple qts of water. Slow boil spice for 10 mins strain and save liquid. Return liquid to heat and bring to boil.
Add a couple lbs of fresh or thawed prawns. Bring back to boil.
Important: Boil no more than a few minutes or till prawns turn opaque.
Remove immediately from liquid and place over ice in fridge till cold. Garish a plate with ice, lettuce and various fruit and lemon. Serve over bed of ice with a good c-cktail sauce and a little horseradish.
Red or Black Tiger Prawns work well. Use size 31-40s or 41-50s a lb.

Seasonal at Sharks.

[Edited on 4-10-2007 by Sharksbaja]

Diver - 4-10-2007 at 05:32 AM

Panko is a Japanese light batter mix.
Most larger grocery stores have it in the Oriental or breadcrumb aisle.
CCC in La Paz had it last year but not the is year.

Diver - 4-10-2007 at 06:12 AM

Sharks,
Two nights ago we had crab I caught myself and last night was scallops from Netarts Bay !!
Saute'd in white wine with garlic, diced carrots and scallions.
Mmmmmm good !

We also love the pickling spice for ribs. Boil them in water with pickling spice for 20-30 minutes then slather with your favorite BBQ sauce and seer on the grill. Another mmmmm good !!
(BBQ ? Try 3/4 Cattlemans BBQ sauce with 1/4 Yochitas Gourmet Sauce and a few tablespoons of maple syrup to make a quart of sweet heaven.)

bajajudy - 4-10-2007 at 07:02 AM

can of beer
2 tablespoons old bay spice
cook until just pink

had shrimp last night in a half avocado with organic tomotoes and homemade mil islas.:biggrin:

Diver - 4-10-2007 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
can of beer
2 tablespoons old bay spice
cook until just pink

Sounds devine !!
Remnds me of piles of spiced crawdads layed out on a bed of newspaper on the picnic table......cold beer.....hot day...mmm.

Cypress - 4-10-2007 at 09:36 AM

Sorta like the guy in "Forrest Gump".:yes: There's shrimp gumbo, fried, broiled, boiled, grilled, BBQ'ed.....:bounce: and on and on.:bounce:

Baja Shrimp c-cktail

tripledigitken - 4-10-2007 at 10:10 AM

boil shrimps with shell on in salted water just until pink, immediatley place in ice bath.

Open a Pacifico!

Meanwhile dice onion, cucumber, cilantro, and jalapeno and add to clamato juice. Add salt and lime to taste.

When shrimp are completely cold, get another Pacifico, shell em, and if they are medium size cut into bite size pieces. I use the small to medium for this recipe, save the jumbo's for the grill.

Add to the sauce, serve with crackers and another Pacifico.

:yes:

Mexitron - 4-10-2007 at 10:24 AM

I vote for Pompano's recipe--we're headin' to the third ocean(G. of Mex.) in a couple weeks, should be able to pick up some and give it a try!

Reeljob - 4-10-2007 at 10:25 AM

Great fun, especially outside where you can throw shells around

CARMARONES de FESTIVALE

This is a fun Party Recipe. In lots of spicy sauce. Serve with warm French and/or Sourdough bread for dipping and your favorite Wine. Best done outside, provide large dishcloth type towels for napkins.

6-8 main course servings

3½ cups olive oil
1cup fresh lemon juice
½ cup liquid brown sugar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
2 tablespoons dried thyme, crumbled
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons dried rosemary, crumbled
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
3 bay leaves

6 pounds large shrimp, unshelled
1 ½ cups clarified butter, melted
1 cup vermouth

Combine olive oil, lemon juice, liquid brown sugar, Worcestershire and all seasonings in large bowl and let stand at room temperature for several hours or overnight.

Divide Shrimp between 2 large deep skillets. Pour oil mixture over, dividing evenly. Add ¾ cup clarified butter to each skillet. Place over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, just until shrimp are pink, about 15 minutes. Add ½ cup vermouth to each skillet and cook 3 minutes. Ladle into serving bowls, Garnish with lemon and parsley sprigs if desired. Serve immediately.

aquaholic - 4-10-2007 at 10:37 AM

...here's another that's quick and easy...
...place peeled, raw shrimp on bamboo skewers in a single serving number. Place the skewers on a cookie sheet. In a sauce pan, melt a quarter pound of butter, add a few ounces of chopped, roasted garlic (I use the prepared stuff), and a BUNCH of Chilpotle Tabasco Sauce. When this is mixed and warm, spoon over the shrimp. They skewers are ready to put on the barbeque whenever you are. Just a few minutes cooks them, and you can spoon any leftover sauce over them as they cook. Quick, easy, and delicious!!!

Dave - 4-10-2007 at 10:37 AM

I like 'em cooked any style... Just as long as they're not overcooked. Unfortunately, almost everyone overcooks shrimp. :(

danaeb - 4-10-2007 at 10:41 AM

Does anyone have the classic Mojo de Ajo recipe? It seems like it should be simple, but every time I've tried it, it's missing something.

Shrimp Kabobs

bajajudy - 4-10-2007 at 11:40 AM

Shrimp Kabobs

Peel the shrimp down to the tail.

Mix equal parts butter and olive oil
Chop fresh garlic and add to above

Skewer the shrimp, cover with butter, olive oil, garlic mixture and put in the frig for about 30 minutes.
(since the mixture is cold it really sticks to the shrimp)

Take directly from frig to the grill and cook a few minutes on each side, careful not to overcook.

danaeb - 4-10-2007 at 01:33 PM

Thanks Judy - I'll try it!

Hook - 4-10-2007 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
boil shrimps with shell on in salted water just until pink, immediatley place in ice bath.

Open a Pacifico!

Meanwhile dice onion, cucumber, cilantro, and jalapeno and add to clamato juice. Add salt and lime to taste.

When shrimp are completely cold, get another Pacifico, shell em, and if they are medium size cut into bite size pieces. I use the small to medium for this recipe, save the jumbo's for the grill.

Add to the sauce, serve with crackers and another Pacifico.

:yes:

Ken, do you retain the water the shrimp were boiled in? A mexican family up here says using that water in the coctail sauce is THE secret to good Baja style shrimp cocteles.

Of course, they are from Mazatlan..........:?:

Phil C - 4-10-2007 at 05:05 PM

All these sound great, but you have to start with good shrimp. ( I know I'll get flack...) The best shrimp in the world are Gulf of Mexico shrimp, whites and browns, yes that gulf. Running a very close, if not equal, second are Alta Golfo de California ( SOC) white shrimp. You CAN tast the differance between these two and all the Pacific and S. E. Asia "rock" shrimp. Just my shrimpy two cents worth.

tripledigitken - 4-10-2007 at 05:07 PM

Hook,

No I don't for the c-cktails, but yes for broth for other dishes.

The Clamato or Tomato Juice is thin enough. I prefer the thin Mexican Style c-cktails over the thick gringo style.

This works for clams, pulpo and scallops too!

Ken

Hook - 4-10-2007 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Hook,

No I don't for the c-cktails, but yes for broth for other dishes.

The Clamato or Tomato Juice is thin enough. I prefer the thin Mexican Style c-cktails over the thick gringo style.

This works for clams, pulpo and scallops too!

Ken

Oh yeah, most definitely on the thin Mexican style. I cant eat the old northeastern style anymore. Too sweet!

Right you are, Phil C

Pompano - 4-11-2007 at 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C
All these sound great, but you have to start with good shrimp. ( I know I'll get flack...) The best shrimp in the world are Gulf of Mexico shrimp, whites and browns, yes that gulf. Running a very close, if not equal, second are Alta Golfo de California ( SOC) white shrimp. You CAN tast the differance between these two and all the Pacific and S. E. Asia "rock" shrimp. Just my shrimpy two cents worth.

Here are those tasty Gulf shrimp....the world's best. Phil, you need to start researching how to stock these in the Cortez. Can you get that done in time for dinner manana?

- a few nice shrimp.jpg - 29kB

Phil C - 4-11-2007 at 04:03 PM

With the new flights direct from Texas, I'll have my cousin bring some next time he visits.... Course those from San Felipe (Baja Norte, not Texas) are just about the same if you have someone coming that way :) But for tomorrow better stick with chocolates and cabrilla.

Washington/Canadian Shrimp

tripledigitken - 4-11-2007 at 05:03 PM

As long as were talking varieties of Shrimp..............

Don't forget the tasty Spotted White Shrimp found around the San Juan Islands and the Puget Sound.

They are right up there with the other two varieties, IMO.

Mexitron - 4-11-2007 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C

Hey, that's good to know...I'm fer sure draggin' the BBQ down to the Gulf!

jerry - 4-11-2007 at 08:49 PM

the farmed shrimp just dont get it

Sharksbaja - 4-11-2007 at 11:31 PM

Best shrimp I've ever had are the local Spot Prawns. They impart a lobster-like flavor. Problem is, hardly a market exists for them. I buy them whenever I can find them. They are strange when loaded with eggs.
They never make it to port. The skipper and crew usually get them all.
I use prawn shells to make a liquor for shrimp gumbo.

Jerry, try Thailand farmed prawns if you ever have to buy frozen. They are much better than those farmed from India, Qatar, Vietnam, Mexico or Indonesia

[Edited on 4-12-2007 by Sharksbaja]

Phil C - 4-12-2007 at 12:10 PM

Shrimp butter...... Use yuor uncooked shrimp shells and mix with butter put them in the oven for awhile at a heat low enough not to boil the butter, mix it up every once in a while, an hour or so . Strain, wonderfuly shrimp flavored butter.

Phil C - 4-12-2007 at 12:13 PM

Deep water prawns. In So. Cal there are fishermen that trap live prawns at 600 plus feet. They sell them live to wholsalers. If you know a guy you can get them, the eggs are great! Same ones they serve as Ama Ebi at the sushi bars.

Cypress - 4-12-2007 at 01:40 PM

Big white cobs from down in the Gulf of Mexico are tops.:bounce: They come up the bayous when the winter winds blow.:)

CortezBlue - 4-13-2007 at 08:13 AM

Fast and easy Shrimp

I like to use 16-21 size shrimp.
I mix up the following:

Olive Oil
Tobasco
Favorite Taco Sauce
Salt and Peper

Marrinate the clean and deveined shrimp in the mixture for an hour or more.

Grill to perfection.

Very tender and tasty, I find it goes well with a cold Tecate!!

jerry - 4-13-2007 at 09:04 AM

i put salt and caraway in about 3 quarts of water in a 6 quart pan boil for about 5 minuites add a kg of shrimp when they float they done chill on ice or serve hot peel and eat
dipping sause
catsup
horsradish
wistershire
lemon or lime
garlic power
salt

or drawn realbutter

Mexitron - 5-6-2007 at 07:23 PM

Wow! Spent a week in Galveston--those Gulf of Mexico White Shrimp are awesome--I'd forgotten what shrimp were supposed to taste like after eating the store bought junk for the last 10 years...but I've got to tell you, even better were the oysters we got from the fish market in Galveston--without a doubt the best I've ever had, especially with tabasco and lime juice!

bajajudy - 5-6-2007 at 07:48 PM

I forgot this the first time around. A chef friend of mine told me to rinse the shrimp then put them in water with ice cubes and about a big tablespoon of kosher salt(only kosher) and let them soak for at least 30 minutes before you cook them and they will puff up. It works. There is something about restoring the salt that has evaporated, been decreased by the iodine they put on them to keep them looking fresh.....I dont really know the reason but it works.

Paula - 5-6-2007 at 07:50 PM

Shrimp with Red Chile and Orange

Peel and clean 1 pound of medium to large shrimp.
Melt 1 Tbs. of butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Add a clove or more of garlic, minced or pressed.
Add shrimp to skillet and sprinkle with a tsp. or so of powdered red chile-- hot or mild, but not American "chile powder". Toss or stir after about a minute.
Add juice of a fresh orange and steam covered for a minute or so, until opaque and pink.
Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp to a bowl and keep warm.
Reduce pan juices until thick, add salt to taste, and pour over shrimp.

Serve with rice-- a mix or white and wild is good with this dish.

Edit: I decided to give it a name.

[Edited on 5-7-2007 by Paula]

Paula - 5-6-2007 at 08:08 PM

Judy,

Are you soaking the shrimp in their shells or peeled? After the soak can you cok them any way? Boiled? Sauteed?

We probably can't find kosher salt in Loreto... can you buy it down there? It's my kitchen and table salt in Montana, but it seems a little goofy to bring salt to Baja!:lol:

DavidT - 5-6-2007 at 08:38 PM

1. Net shrimp from under the bridge in Ozello FL

2. Boil shrimp with Zatarain's Boil in Bag

Or you could grill them and serve with a tequila jalapeno pecan butter sauce.

Hook - 5-6-2007 at 10:11 PM

There was an interesting article in the LA Times food section a few weeks back. A few basic recipes but the gist of the article involved cooking shrimp or fish in ziploc baggies in water no hotter than 150 degrees (measured). You put butter and any herbs you prefer in the bag with the fish. Believe the process is called sous-vide. Texture and amount of flavor is supposed to be superb.

Iflyfish - 5-8-2007 at 12:13 AM

Great recipes!

Shrimp with Sherry and Sauted Almonds.

I like a variation that consists of sauted brown sliced almonds, sherry, garlic and shrimp cooked in butter and served over rice. For my taste I like to play with three/four flavors. In this case it is shrimp, sauted almonds, garlic and sherry. Very simple prep and as others have said, the key is not to overcook the shrimp or they become touch and too strong flavored.

Saute almonds till golden, remove, add more butter and garlic, sherry to taste, saute shrimp and add back in almonds.

Pour seasoned butter, shrimp and almonds over the rice.

Don't use cooking sherry, use a good quality sherry.

Iflyfish

bajajudy - 5-8-2007 at 10:19 AM

I have only done it with them peeled with the tails left on. Will try with shells and let you know.
I buy kosher salt at Lenny's Deli in San Lucas...guess I should also mention that the original trailer park which was owned by Lenny and his family is now in the back of the deli, no trailers and no trash is their motto. I havent eaten there yet but it was always a wonderful place with a huge selection and large portions. Osoflojo, have you tried the new place?

bajajudy - 7-12-2007 at 12:12 PM

Paula, yes, the Kosher salted ice water works on shrimp with the shells on.
I made aquacate relleno con camarones last night and they were plump and delicious. Boiled them in a beer and Bay Seasoning for max 3 minutes.

[Edited on 7-12-2007 by bajajudy]

oldhippie - 7-12-2007 at 01:01 PM

One of my mexican seafood restaurant favorites:

Camarones Costa Azul: Shrimp stuffed with marlin and cheese, wrapped with bacon, sautéed in a variety of spices.

DENNIS - 7-12-2007 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
One of my mexican seafood restaurant favorites:

Camarones Costa Azul: Shrimp stuffed with marlin and cheese, wrapped with bacon, sautéed in a variety of spices.

That sounds good Olconnoiseur. Is there any distinct identifiable flavor available through that mixture or is it something new and delicious?

oldhippie - 7-12-2007 at 05:37 PM

The bacon is a bit overpowering. Use small strips if you whip 'em up yourself.

Just ask for them if they're not on the menu. The cook will probably know how to make them.

elizabeth - 7-12-2007 at 07:01 PM

Since this thread has come back to life, here's my 2 pesos...I try to get trap caught prawns, or others that haven't totally trashed the ocean or destroyed mangroves to be farmed...and that's the end of the soapbox...but, trap caught live prawns with head on are really the best!

Judy is right about a short brining, it really keeps the prawns moist, but it does work with salt other than kosher if you don't have it, just dissolve it well and don't let the shrimp sit in it very long or they'll get tough.

I slowly cook finely chopped garlic in oil in a saucepan until it is just starting to get golden, then I put thinly sliced guajillo chile rings in the oil until it turns slightly orange and the garlic is golden. Strain the chile rings and garlic out of the oil. Put the oil in a frying pan, toss in the prawns, shells and heads and all, sprinkle with coarse salt, add the juice of a lime or two, and cook until done. Using a slotted spoon, take them out of the frying pan and toss with the reserved garlic and guajillo rings. If you do it this way, you won't ever end up with overcooked and bitter garlic. If you really want to be decadent, throw in a tablespoon or so of butter at the end of the cooking!

This is a messy dish...you have to suck all the garlic and salt off of the shell before peeling!

Al G - 7-12-2007 at 08:07 PM

OK please tell me how you would prepare this Baja size....Wish I had taken the picture before they were shelled:(:biggrin:

Shrimp3.jpg - 48kB

bajabound2005 - 7-14-2007 at 08:21 AM

The key to shrimp is the quick cook -- here is a sure-fire recipe - what you do with it after that is all in the imagination. This is from Cook's Illustrated (America's Test Kitchen). The sugar, btw, helps bring out the natural sweetness of the shrimp and helps in browning.

Pan-Seared Shrimp

The cooking times below are for 21/25 shrimp (that is, the size of the shrimp is such that there are 21 to 25 in 1 pound). If 21/25 shrimp are not available, adjust cooking times slightly. Either a nonstick or traditional skillet will work for this recipe, but a nonstick will simplify cleanup.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds shrimp (21/25 count), peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon granulated sugar
lemon wedges , if desired

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over high heat until smoking. Meanwhile, toss shrimp, salt, pepper, and sugar in medium bowl. Add half of shrimp to pan in single layer and cook until spotty brown and edges turn pink, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; using tongs, flip each shrimp and let stand until all but very center is opaque, about 30 seconds. Transfer shrimp to large plate. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and shrimp; after second batch has stood off heat, return first batch to skillet along with your choice of flavorings (see below) and toss to combine. Cover skillet and let stand until shrimp are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.

Options:
Garlic-Lemon Butter
3 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
1 medium clove garlic , minced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/8 teaspoon table salt

Before you cook the shrimp, beat butter with fork in small bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in garlic, lemon juice, parsley, and 1/8 teaspoon salt until combined. Set aside.

Chipotle-Lime Glaze
1 chipotle chile en adobo , minced
2 teaspoons adobo sauce
4 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Stir together chipotle chile, adobo sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, and cilantro in small bowl. Add to shrimp pan when you put the

[Edited on 7-14-2007 by bajabound2005]

Shrimp

bajaguy - 7-14-2007 at 08:24 AM

I think my best recepie is to go to bajabound's house!!!:lol::lol:

beachbum1A - 7-14-2007 at 08:58 AM

I second that idea Bajaguy!

Cypress - 7-14-2007 at 12:10 PM

Fresh Shrimp!:spingrin: Have dragged a shrimp trawl for a mile or two, picked thru all the by-catch and watched the scales as the buyer subtracted the "water weight" from the total.:spingrin: Shrimp cooked in any way are hard to beat.:spingrin:

bajabound2005 - 7-14-2007 at 06:31 PM

OK, Beachbum1a and Bajaguy -- we'll do a few samples on Saturday! Still searching through my stacks of recipes for another one -- vanilla, orange...and shrimp. To die for delicious. It was from a newspaper. Clipped it from a series of recipes with vanilla - made it a few times, stuck the clipping in a cookbook (of which I have far too many); found all the other recipes from that series in my stack of "to be filed" - but not that one!

[Edited on 7-15-2007 by bajabound2005]

bajaguy - 7-14-2007 at 06:51 PM

Not all who wander are lost.......but all those who are lost may wander....or is that wonder???

bajadock - 7-14-2007 at 07:46 PM

BAJABOUND,
What's the # of your house again at Baja Country Club??? My parents have been reading and have chartered a bus for 100 of their closest friends for your event! They are looking forward to sprawling out in their sleeping bags for the overnighter, too.

DENNIS - 7-14-2007 at 07:49 PM

That's Bajaguy, mi amigo.

They have room for thousands on the fairway in front of their house. Bring'em on.

[Edited on 7-15-2007 by DENNIS]

bajadock - 7-14-2007 at 08:59 PM

Back on topic, and sauce guy that I am, boiled shrimp tonight with a variety of spices and now dipping them in a chipotle lime sauce, accompanied by the Noche Bueno beer, courtesy of Bajaguy/Bajablonde. Simplest is best.

bajabound2005 - 7-14-2007 at 09:07 PM

Well. that Noche BuenA (I'm pretty sure Noche es feminino) must have an expiration date and that would be over and done with....Noche Buena is Christmas Eve, Doc!!! And it's Bajaguy at the BCC, we're in RP!!!! Don't drink any more of that Noche Buena!

bajamigo - 7-14-2007 at 09:16 PM

I love sticklers. I should have married one. But wait a minute.....

:o

Hey BB

bajaguy - 7-14-2007 at 09:18 PM

That beer is bottle aged!!!!...and it's still good. Had two last night!!

Cypress - 7-15-2007 at 03:01 PM

Fried shrimp, boiled shrimp, shrimp gumbo, shrimp and anything you can mix with 'em.:yes:

bajaandy - 7-15-2007 at 03:40 PM

My personal fav is Tequilla shrimp on the grill. Place the shrimp on some foil on the grill, squeeze on some lime juice and douse with a liberal amount of tequilla. Simple and excellent flavor.

beachbum1A - 7-20-2007 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandy
My personal fav is Tequilla shrimp on the grill. Place the shrimp on some foil on the grill, squeeze on some lime juice and douse with a liberal amount of tequilla. Simple and excellent flavor.

I vote for Bajaandy's receipe! Keep it simple. Failed to mention that you need an adequate supply of tequila as you're SUPPOSED to have a couple of shots along with some leftover limes and some salt while everything's cooking.

Unbelievable bounty

Sharksbaja - 11-28-2007 at 03:33 PM

The prawns recently in the area are GIANT and Pompanos correct, what to do with em all. I think those guys in the van will retire soon. Our group bought many kilos.:wow:

Shrimp fishing has high bicatch mortality

mtgoat666 - 11-28-2007 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Ok, I was cooking some shrimp I had defrosted from a trip down to Ensenada earlier in the year and was using a beer batter with some galic and red pepper seasonings, when I thought about what other recipes are out there:light:???? Ok, the floor is open and no one way of cooking them is the norm anything goes~~~~~ bajafun777

I used to like shrimp, but now have problems eating it on moral grounds. Shrimp fishing in SOC has some of the highest bicatch destruction of all fisheries. Shrimpers claim it is 4 pounds bicatch per pound of shrimp. Environmentalists claim it is 10 pounds bicatch per pound of shrimp. Either way, the bicatch destruction is really quite bad. If you love the SOC fishing, don't support fish kills by buying shrimp until they change their methods. :(:(

ELINVESTIG8R - 11-28-2007 at 11:26 PM

That is some big shrimp.

Sharksbaja - 11-29-2007 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777

I used to like shrimp, but now have problems eating it on moral grounds. Shrimp fishing in SOC has some of the highest bicatch destruction of all fisheries. Shrimpers claim it is 4 pounds bicatch per pound of shrimp. Environmentalists claim it is 10 pounds bicatch per pound of shrimp. Either way, the bicatch destruction is really quite bad. If you love the SOC fishing, don't support fish kills by buying shrimp until they change their methods. :(:(

Well, with exception to environmentalists who overzealously make statements like that I will concede that shrimp draggers do do conciderable damge to the seafloor.
I am quite aware of what bthis method of harvest does and I am opposed to commercial dragging nearshore.
On my last visit to Mulege I photographed several Guaymas trawlers harvesting shrimp in close to shore.
The new NORMA law is supposed to address the taking of shark in these waters and prohibit bycatch of them. Of course that simply means they either take a chance and keep them or toss em back and exact a high mortality rate.
The ineffectiveness of the Navy to enforce the SOC invites more of the same. The risk of getting caught is low.
With that said, don't forget the "other " shrimpers out there. The little guys who work the depths use other non-seafloor damaging apparatus to harvest shrimp. I believe most shrimp sold locally are caught in this manner.

New beach tested recipe: Coyote Grilled Prawns

Sharksbaja - 11-29-2007 at 06:37 PM

I was camping with some buddies at Coyote and found a great way to do those monstro camerones.

Using a propane Coleman grill I was teased into making a meal with the shrimp. Sort of a challenge I suppose.

What I did was this: I split and butterflied the shrimp and removed the vein and rinsed them leaving the shell on.

Next I took some teriyaki glaze and poured just a wee bit unto the flesh exposed side.

Heat a non-stick pan with little butter or oil to med hi and place flesh side down, cook only one minute then remove to a plate.

Remove pan and fire up the grill to medium hi. Place prawns SHELL down on grill and cook until bright red with black charring, perhaps only another minute or less.

Remove to serve.

These babies were the big hit. I served them up with sticky rice, steamed local zuchini and beer.

:spingrin::yes::spingrin:Be prepared to serve many!

Bajafun777 - 11-29-2007 at 08:03 PM

Sharksbaja, you almost scared me until the very last word ----"beer" I thought you forgot the beer to go with the shrimp. I love shrimp just about anyway except raw!!! Later----------bajafun777