BajaNomad

Grass roof construction: Before...and After

Pompano - 4-12-2007 at 04:18 PM

This might be good information on your decision as to build with palapa roofs (palm fronds). The photo below shows what happened to a few closely-built palapas at Coyote Beach several years ago.

The fire went very rapidly from roof to roof and the whole complex went up before we could do much about it. It was almost like a high-tree forest fire...with it's own fireballs.

I am running the fire-truck hose to drench some embers, but it was too late to save much....luckily nobody was injured in the blaze.

-1 a a palapas then now (1).jpg - 37kB

Now...'the After'

Pompano - 4-12-2007 at 04:19 PM

This is today...April 12, 2007. Quite a few ex-Santispac palapa dwellers are migrating south to Coyote Bay. Construction has been progressing nicely... and with NO grass roofs.

I believe these houses will be around a bit longer than the last ones.

-1 a a palapas then now (Custom).jpg - 44kB

fishbuck - 4-12-2007 at 04:50 PM

Did it get ride of the termites?

Pomp

Baja Bernie - 4-12-2007 at 06:21 PM

Thunder God...........protecting and recording the history........Thanks

Sallysouth - 4-13-2007 at 09:13 AM

Reminicent of the Tripui fire but on a much smaller scale.Hard lesson to learn!:wow:

Martyman - 4-13-2007 at 11:27 AM

I must say though that those palapa roofs look much nicer and are probably cooler?

palapa

tehag - 4-13-2007 at 01:41 PM

Living under a palm-thatch roof — Pluses: cooler, pretty, cheaper, full of life. Negatives: full of life, let the dust right in, don't last very long, catch fire easily, no longer insurable since Tripuí.

Sharksbaja - 4-13-2007 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
no longer insurable since Tripuí.

Try Lloyds of London.