BajaNomad

Panga in San Bruno/San Lucas?

chino - 4-17-2007 at 08:16 PM

Gonna be in the San Bruno area for work and would like to sneak away for a morning of fishing, any recomendations?
I'd rather pass on a bone job this time!
Thanks, Chino

Bob and Susan - 4-17-2007 at 08:47 PM

Mike Kanzler of Isla San Marcos

hands down the BEST!!!

Minnow - 4-17-2007 at 09:17 PM

You ever fish with Mike, Bob. Something tells me you have not. I have fished with him. Picture captn. Bly on steroids. If you don't catch fish it is your fault, and you will hear peeing and moaning about it until you would just about rather be anywhere but on his boat. If you are imagining a nice peaceful day on the water, with a few fish thrown in, you might want to look somewhere else.:o

Pescador - 4-18-2007 at 07:00 AM

He has a colorful personality but he is still the best darn fisherman in that area of the baja. You can find his website at
http://www.islasanmarcos.com

Pescador - 4-18-2007 at 07:03 AM

If, after you look at Mike's website, you decide you want to try someone else, you can call Fransisco Mesa who is also a good friend of mine and does charters also. He charges a little less than Mike but is good. His number is 011-52-615-160-1031 Tell him Jim and Marika sent you.

shari - 4-18-2007 at 07:13 AM

Fransisco is a great, noble, mellow, honest, man who speaks english too...I highly recommend him and it's nice to use the local mexican folks as well.

Minnow - 4-18-2007 at 07:20 AM

I agree Jim, Mike does catch fish, though I would not use the word colorful to describe his personality.

Bob and Susan - 4-18-2007 at 02:28 PM

nope i've never fished with him...
brenda of santa rosalia has and won 3rd place in a tourny

he CATCHES fish!!!:light:

lately i just read about fishing and keep bees happy:lol:

bees2.jpg - 35kB

Ahem...chino, I can take you out for 'specialty' catches.

Pompano - 4-18-2007 at 02:39 PM

... like this 'monster' seafan I caught close to San Bruno...

That's the gypsum ship, Friendly Island, in the background...if the fishing gets boring, it's wake will give you a good ride!

[Edited on 4-18-2007 by Pompano]

-0 a seafan.jpg - 42kB

Diver - 4-18-2007 at 02:50 PM

That seafan must have put up quite a fight !!
Had to wear the belt to land that one, eh ?? :lol:

Did I mention how jealous I am that you're fishng and I'm not ??? :no:

Please keep the photos and fishing reports coming !! :biggrin:

Minnow - 4-18-2007 at 05:35 PM

Bob, now Brenda is a super gal, and I know she is friends with Mike. Maybe I caught him on a bad day and it was about 15 years ago after all. But I will never forget the hard time he gave the old guy that fished with us. It really made me mad. The guy, and I don't want to mention his name because he still is a regular is SLC, couldn't do anything right. He reeled too slow, he was always in the wrong place on the boat when Mike wanted to run to a boil. ect,ect. Anyhoo, no one doubts Mike puts fish in the boat, well at least most days, but run and gun is not my style.

edit for pompano: You are peeing me off too. Aww well, at least someone gets to fish.:rolleyes: Keep the reports coming you last few have been great.

[Edited on 19-4-2007 by Minnow]

chino - 4-19-2007 at 08:32 AM

Thanks Pompano!
Maybe you could market your trip as an ECO Vegatarian fishing trip!
Happy Fishing!
Ditto on the good fishing reports, we fished the Islas last year on Kayaks and now I often return to those days in my mind when I'm having a S---y day at work.
Latter, Chino

Anytime, chino...it;s all fun stuff.

Pompano - 4-19-2007 at 09:49 AM

Next time you are in this area, turn on ch. 22...give me a shout and..as they say...we can try 'parting some water' together.

Catching fish is easy..making them bigger afterwards is what's complicated.

-0 a guide Pompano.jpg - 38kB