BajaNomad

Fishing Near San Felipe

kitjv - 4-23-2007 at 07:30 PM

Sorry if I'm inquiring about a worn out topic. If so, please direct me toward any previous discussions.

My wife & I are thinking about spending a week or 2 in San Felipe in late fall or early winter. What can we expect from fishing either from shore or with a small boat?

I know this is a rudimentary question, but I have never fished in this area before. BTW, I just ordered a copy of Baja Catch, 3rd. edition.

Thank you for your thoughts.

David K - 4-23-2007 at 11:16 PM

Surf fishing on incoming tide as it nears the high tide mark is best... the entrance to Laguna Percebu, Bahia Santa Maria and other lagoons is a good location as fish enter to feed.

Corbina, croaker, sand bass, etc. like to bite on bait (squid, cut fish, mussel, clams, etc.)

Photo at Bahia Santa Maria shows a double hookup of corbina... However, this was back in the 'good 'ol days'!

Recently, going out in a boat seemed to provide more and bigger fish. Check out Gene Kira's http://www.mexfish.com

66-67 pics 014.jpg - 43kB

David K - 4-24-2007 at 09:20 AM

If you contact viabaja here on Nomad, use the u2u feature or ?, he would be the expert on current fishing conditions!

jimgrms - 4-24-2007 at 09:39 AM

At times the fishing is real good at roca consag just go to the strip where all the pangas hang out and make a deal with those guys