BajaNomad

2 weeks in Baja, March 07

ursidae69 - 5-5-2007 at 11:18 PM

Me and 2 friends spent two weeks in Baja back in March. We drove south from Tucson, through Nogales, down to Los Mochis and Topolobampo, then took the ferry to La Paz. We then spent the next 2 weeks working our way out of Baja. :coolup:

Here is a basic map of the journey.

My travel log is linked here: Baja March 2007

[SIZE=5]If you don't want all the details and just want some pics, there is a simple gallery here. [/SIZE]

This trip had it all. Just a few of the highlights for me would include:

• A lot of Tecate
  • Kayaking
  • Snorkeling
  • Photography
  • Old missions
  • Kind, generous local people
  • Cool wildlife
  • Meeting good friends in the middle of nowhere
  • Friendly whales
  • Crazy weather
  • Beautiful weather
  • 4-wheeling

And much more...

A few pictures...

Packoderm - 5-6-2007 at 03:04 AM

What a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Bob and Susan - 5-6-2007 at 06:05 AM

outstanding chuck...

i liked the shot of the "three amigos" on the rocky beach
    and the donkeys the best...

what a trip for 2 weeks....looks COOOOLD!!!!

PabloS - 5-6-2007 at 06:46 AM

A GREAT report! Thanks for all the wonderful images of all those remote beaches, camps and wildlife, WOW!

[Edited on 5-6-2007 by PabloS]

bajaandy - 5-6-2007 at 06:48 AM

Wow! Fantastic trip report and photos! I've always wanted to take a trip like that... just cruise up and down the entire penninsula. I'm envious!

DianaT - 5-6-2007 at 08:25 AM

Don't anyone just look at the shortened version---read it all and enjoy! Really great job! Enjoyed every word and every picture.

I love the new Ferry---we may have to take it again. The rooms in the old Ferry were quite different.

In 2003 we took that road that conects with 286, only we started in Los Barriles and headed north. At that time after the road turned inland, before the climb over the hill, it was completely washed out and was a ride from one boulder in the wash. Is it still washed out?

Love your thoughts about random road work ---- difficult to understand. They are paving the road to Bahia Asuncion, but as you saw, the "paved" road from Vizcaino to that point is in very poor shape in places.

Can't say it enough---really loved your report.

Diane

ursidae69 - 5-6-2007 at 08:32 AM

Thanks for all the nice comments! This was a fantastic trip, it was chilly at times, but not too bad. In retrospect, I would have not driven all the way to Tortugas, and instead turned down to go to Asuncion. I've always enjoyed Shari's posts and would have liked to have said hello. I'll make it there next time. :cool:

ursidae69 - 5-6-2007 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
    Originally posted by jdtrotter
    In 2003 we took that road that conects with 286, only we started in Los Barriles and headed north. At that time after the road turned inland, before the climb over the hill, it was completely washed out and was a ride from one boulder in the wash. Is it still washed out?

I don't recall the road being too washed out where it turned inland. It had some spots, but I sort of like that type of driving! I recommend that road to everyone witha high clearance vehicle, one of the most beautiful roads I've ever been on. The road up to San Evaristo was amazing too.

BAJACAT - 5-6-2007 at 09:14 AM

Oh my GOD! what a trip report.Have no words to express what I think.Thanks.

PS.WHAT YOU GUYS DID WITH THE TRASH AT THOSE FISHERMANS CAMPS, WAS WAY TO COOL.

Barry A. - 5-6-2007 at 10:12 AM

Absolutely outstanding report on a fabulous trip!!!!

Many, many thanks for taking the time and effort to post this------------I really appreciate reports like this, and the great photos, too----------to me this is what the NOMAD'S board is all about, and why I keep coming back to check it out.

Now, I have to begin planning to visit the great places you found. :yes: (just as soon as I buy my Jeep Rubicon 4-dr)

Natalie Ann - 5-6-2007 at 10:18 AM

The short version, the long version, the photos... love it all! You had one great trip, ursidae69... thanks you for rerunning it for us. I really enjoyed myself!

bajaandy - 5-6-2007 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
    Originally posted by jdtrotter
    Don't anyone just look at the shortened version---read it all and enjoy! Really great job! Enjoyed every word and every picture.

Diane

I couldn't agree more! Take the time to loose yourself in this outstanding photo essay!

Cypress - 5-6-2007 at 11:26 AM

Best trip report ever!:bounce:Working my way thru it, this computer is way too slow.:D

Packoderm - 5-6-2007 at 11:49 AM

Yep, I didn't want to say it because I wouldn't want to take away anything from anybody else's trip reports, but this one is definitely a winner. Good job.

ursidae69 - 5-6-2007 at 02:03 PM

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the compliments, you totally make all the hard work in writing this up worth it. :)

This was my 6th time to Baja and I'm slowly getting better with my reports. I'm planning a big extended trip in 08 and I have a real good handle now of where I'd like to spend more time. So many places to see, not enough time...

Paula - 5-6-2007 at 02:06 PM

Great report-- thank you for posting it!

Hook - 5-6-2007 at 09:48 PM

One of the best trips reports I have ever read. Thanks for taking the time.

Youz guys need to bring some solar showers........just reading about cold showers on the Pacific side got me shivering.

So, how did you access Ensenada Alcatraz? Can you drive all the way there from La Gringa?

Skipjack Joe - 5-6-2007 at 10:45 PM

Great report ursidae! I really enjoyed it.

No clue what this is - parrotfish

Not sure what these little fish are - they look like wrasses to me. We saw them also.

I have no idea again - could be a sergeant-major. Hard to tell from that angle.

snails? - periwinkles

ursidae69 - 5-7-2007 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
    Originally posted by Hook
    One of the best trips reports I have ever read. Thanks for taking the time.

Youz guys need to bring some solar showers........just reading about cold showers on the Pacific side got me shivering.

So, how did you access Ensenada Alcatraz? Can you drive all the way there from La Gringa?

I agree on the shower setup. That is one part of my expedition setup I'm still working out. The access is not through La Gringa, but through the dry lake near the San Borja turnoff, north through the lake bed, then east down a large arroyo to the sea. That beach is really hard to get too, which is why it is such a treat. :biggrin:

Skipjack, thanks for the names! :D

Bajagypsy - 5-7-2007 at 02:57 PM

That was a great trip report, loved the writing, loved the pictures, loved everything.

capitolkat - 5-8-2007 at 10:37 AM

This sets a high standard for trip reports. I appreciate the time and effort to put this together and to share the days and nights of a great adventure. thanks-- norm

Neal Johns - 5-9-2007 at 01:05 AM

Good report!

Especially the Chris Weeble-Wobble Marzonie part. If he is not frozen to death, now I have something on him. Hee, hee, hee.

BajaBruno - 5-9-2007 at 05:39 AM

Jeez! You make my trips to Baja look like a stroll through the local mall! Good job, all of of you.

Pompano - 5-9-2007 at 05:49 AM

ursidae69, you made this morning's coffee read a special treat by letting me read your well-written and pictured report. That trip was great...thanks for taking us all along.

ursidae69 - 5-9-2007 at 06:29 AM

Quote:
    Originally posted by Pompano
    ursidae69, you made this morning's coffee read a special treat by letting me read your well-written and pictured report. That trip was great...thanks for taking us all along.

Thanks everybody. It's great to have a group of folks who get why it is so special down there. :D

rogerj1 - 5-10-2007 at 08:21 PM

I even read your buddy's version. I still haven't figured out who gets the girl.

ursidae69 - 5-11-2007 at 03:57 AM

Quote:
    Originally posted by rogerj1
    I even read your buddy's version. I still haven't figured out who gets the girl.

We all three have loved ones back home that couldn't attend and we were just travel companions on this trip.

[Edited on 5-11-2007 by ursidae69]

cpg - 5-14-2007 at 08:05 AM

Great trip report !! You did a lot of driving driving!
    Where did you get your camp kitchen?

ursidae69 - 5-22-2007 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
    Originally posted by cpg
    Great trip report !! You did a lot of driving driving!
    Where did you get your camp kitchen?

My camp kitchen is made my campmate as described in this thread on another forum I frequent. It is a large box, but it was better than I was using.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my trip, I love this forum. :spingrin:

David K - 5-22-2007 at 09:24 AM

The web site says, 'sorry, sold out'... Sounds like he's not interested in making more, guess he's rich now??

ursidae69 - 5-22-2007 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
    Originally posted by David K
    The web site says, 'sorry, sold out'... Sounds like he's not interested in making more, guess he's rich now??

Lots of places sell the campmate. Here is another of many links if you google campmate.
    http://www2.llbean.com/product/40283.htm

Wingnut - 5-22-2007 at 03:22 PM

Great trip and report. Looks like it was well worth the effort.

rts551 - 5-23-2007 at 09:19 AM

The road to mallarimo from where you were,, taken in March 07. Sorry I didn't see you in the area.

100_1990 (Small).jpg - 46kB

ursidae69 - 5-23-2007 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
    Originally posted by rts551
    The road to mallarimo from where you were,, taken in March 07. Sorry I didn't see you in the area.

Amazing photo, I love photos like that with a long road ahead of you. I'll make it to that beach someday. Maybe Fall 08. I might take an extended "find myself" sojourn to mainland and Baja in summer / fall 08 if the cards fall into place.

rts551 - 5-23-2007 at 10:51 AM

We were on ATV's from Punta Abreojos. Used the old roads most of which are no longer passable by car/truck. 350 miles in 3 1/2 days of beautiful coastline and desert.

Bajafun777 - 5-23-2007 at 02:20 PM

Got a real kick out of your report and your humor even about yourself made the reading that much more fun. Your writing quickly showed the connection you and your two friends maintained and that you respected each others right to choose to do something or not do it or do something altogether different on the trip. You also understood your limits and this helped to keep you out of possible trouble on your trip and made it a success. Great writing and great pictures. Later------bajafun777