BajaNomad

fish farming can be good thing

Cobia - 5-17-2007 at 08:03 AM

There are conjecture and guesswork opinions in abundance on this thread.

My position is that fish ranching is wrong now meaning Tuna but fish ranching Dorado and Red Snapper is right. My reasons are the latter two are commercial hatchlings moreover; they will eat pellets and do quite nicely. There will be many more specie in the future.

Tuna ranching only needs two rule changes to make it happen correctly. The ranchers must run a sardine hatching and rearing operation of sufficient size to feed their tuna and they must learn how to hatch their own tuna and not catch from the wild stocks. This will eventually happen. As with any new endeavor, there is still a lot to learn. There is a fish biology enterprise in several locations, La Paz, Guaymas etceteras funded by Sonora and Baja Sur that are studying the problems. There is a pellet maker is Guadalajara now.

The eight-year study going on now of the Tuna ranching is the correct move for Mexico. They are desperately trying to solve the problems as described herein. They are working on a pen with a catch basin below to gather the waste. Fertilizer will be the result.

This is the wave of the future and Mexico has locations to supply the world with fresh fish. Be patient this enterprise could and should employ many thousands of poor Mexicans foster education and generally raise the standard of living in the area.

beachbum1A - 5-17-2007 at 09:14 AM

Verygood points Cobia! I agree, but one of the big questions is; will it happen here in Mexico or are they too greedy to really search it out?

amir - 5-17-2007 at 07:55 PM

... hey folks, this is a dublicate thread, there is another twin thread that has gotten several more posts...