BajaNomad

TheSquarecircle drives to La Turquesa mine!

David K - 5-18-2007 at 12:01 PM

Roy 'TheSquarecircle' drove his new Land Rover LR-3 to the green pools in La Turquesa Canyon, and with all the recent discussion of a possible shoert cut to Hwy. 1 through there (see http://vivabaja.com/207 ), he drove as far as possible... from the east side (Hwy. 5 between Gonzaga and Coco's Corner).

Here, Roy parked after crossing over the lava ledge to photo his rig from the upper end of the green pools. The lava ledge is where most people assume the road ends at the lower green pools... but the road continues over the lava to the turquoise mine!

IMG_0645_r.JPG - 45kB

David K - 5-18-2007 at 12:02 PM

Still on the south side of the arroyo, after crossing the lava ledge is this grade...

IMG_0649_r.JPG - 50kB

David K - 5-18-2007 at 12:04 PM

The road crosses to the north side of the arroyo and ends at the turquoise mine...

IMG_0655_r.JPG - 44kB

David K - 5-18-2007 at 12:05 PM

Looking up to the mine...

IMG_0657_r.JPG - 45kB

David K - 5-18-2007 at 12:05 PM

Looking down from the mine...

IMG_0656_r.JPG - 45kB

David K - 5-18-2007 at 12:07 PM

Mine claim monument (you see these all over Baja!)...

IMG_0658_r.JPG - 49kB

woody with a view - 5-18-2007 at 12:09 PM

is there any turquesa still around? how deep has anyone ventured into the mine, or is that just too foolish?

David K - 5-18-2007 at 12:11 PM

Driving back down from the mine, Roy stops where he sees the motorcycle tracks continue west in the arroyo to the La Turquesa Grade...

Roy hiked up the arroyo to where he could see the grade on the mountain side (as shown at http://vivabaja.com/207 ). TheSquarecircle reports that there is quite a bit of bushwacking and road building needed to clear the way for us four wheelers to reach the bottom of the grade...

IMG_0660_r.JPG - 48kB

David K - 5-18-2007 at 12:13 PM

TheSquarecircle's new rig is named 'Winston'...

More La Turquesa green pool and mine photos at http://vivabaja.com/wayno

IMG_0636_edited.jpg - 43kB

bajalou - 5-18-2007 at 12:54 PM

Thanks Roy and David for the post and info.

edm1 - 5-18-2007 at 03:51 PM

" Not being able to see the bottom of the grade,
and traveling alone (one vehicle) we decided to drive back out to the highway and get to Gonzaga Bay the 'normal' way! . . . "

So the big ? is the 2 miles in between the bottom of the grade and the mine. What need to be cleared - are we talking about 10-foot diameter boulders and 3-foot diameter trunks?

David, were you able to find out if there was a place to turn around at the end? Has any 4-wheeled vehicle been to the bottom of the grade?

Does anyone know how steep(%) the grade is toward the bottom?

I'm going that way soon and kind of "challenged" to push into there. Anyone out there who'd want to join me ;D?

[Edited on 5-18-2007 by edm1]

David K - 5-18-2007 at 04:11 PM

edm1, I am posting the photos for Squarecircle... he can respond...

(until he does, he did say clearing the arroyo could be done... maybe a couple trucks, some amigos, lots of beer... Squarecircle also drove to the top end from Hwy. 1, as did I.... but he walked ALL the way to the bottom of the grade... there was one potential high center berm, but short wheel base rigs won't have a problem... Going up the grade he advises lockers required... at least on the rear end like a Toyota TRD has).

The squarecircle - 5-18-2007 at 09:07 PM

Greetings edm1, >>>>> Thank you for your interest of the La turquesa 4-wheel challenge. Yes this is doable with at least a 3-wheel drive rig. However, some rock c learing is needed to traverse the valley floor. The pull out at the base of the the mountain is steep (45 degree) and loose traction wise. A rear locker is needed here and in other spots. I don't have a rear locker but I do have traction contol that is a poor substitute. The LR 3 should be able to do it but it wouldn't hurt to have a more capable cage in front of me, just in case. Want to do this route soon after the Baja 500. Join us in this trek, it should be fun. Let us know what you are driving!!!! Regards, sq.

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
" Not being able to see the bottom of the grade,
and traveling alone (one vehicle) we decided to drive back out to the highway and get to Gonzaga Bay the 'normal' way! . . . "

So the big ? is the 2 miles in between the bottom of the grade and the mine. What need to be cleared - are we talking about 10-foot diameter boulders and 3-foot diameter trunks?

David, were you able to find out if there was a place to turn around at the end? Has any 4-wheeled vehicle been to the bottom of the grade?

Does anyone know how steep(%) the grade is toward the bottom?

I'm going that way soon and kind of "challenged" to push into there. Anyone out there who'd want to join me ;D?

[Edited on 5-18-2007 by edm1]

edm1 - 5-19-2007 at 07:47 AM

SQ, 45 degrees! Holy cow. But other than that, judging from what you're saying, the path could be cleared. We could winch them rocks out of the way or we could push them with a 6X4 attached to the frame/under-bumper (fabricated attachment required but easy to make).

I have a rear locker (ARB) that has always gotten me out of trouble, even though my rig is a quasi-4WD (I don't have a front-drive axle but I have FOUR wheels in the rear:tumble: - does that make it a 4-wheel drive when all 4 rear wheels are locked and shifted to a 2.71 underdrive crawl- mode? Yes, I have a transfer case in it but not connected (yet) to a front-drive axle.

My big worry would be:1) departure angle because of the 45-deg grade, 2) the loose traction because of my heavy front end. However, reverse gear has ALWAYS gotten me out! and 3), my wheelbase, its 146 inches, my rig is BIG.

Here's what I'm driving:

[Edited on 5-19-2007 by edm1]

Tomas Tierra - 5-19-2007 at 08:58 AM

SQ.

How did Winton do overall??? and is Winston right out of the box or modified??

TT

TMW - 5-19-2007 at 09:32 AM

SQ I'm interested in joining a trip there too. I'll be to the hwy1 section next weekend to look it over. But to do it I'll come down in my Toyota.

David K - 5-19-2007 at 09:35 AM

TW, next weekend we will be driving to Mision Santa Maria... drop in for a cold one!:lol::light::o

TMW - 5-19-2007 at 10:30 AM

David we just might do it. We'll be in the silver GMC Z71. I've been in there in my Toyota so it would be interesting to see how the GMC comes out with the longer wheelbase.

The squarecircle - 5-19-2007 at 11:46 AM

Greetings edm1,

Rock displacement in the arroyo most likely not need winching just extra muscle and minor route planning for about one mile.

When you power-up your front-drive axle you will have 5 or 6 wheel drive. I think that is absolutly FANTISTIC!!!

Departure angle at the 45* grade can be modified by stacking rubble in front of your rear wheels. Two vehicles anchored in front of you will alow you to winch up that loose traction 45* grade. There is a somewhat sharp brake-over about 75 yards up from the bottem that is going to present a HI-center problem for you. Width size should not be a problem as i don't recall any narrows on this pathway. There are some tight switch-back turns you will have to jockey around.

Wow! And I thought my cage was big!! >>>> You are driving a CASITA.

Rec'd your U2U ... Thanks

Best Regards, sq.

The squarecircle - 5-19-2007 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
SQ.

How did Winton do overall??? and is Winston right out of the box or modified??

TT

Greetings Tomas Tierra

The pathway into Mina La Turquesa from Las Arrastras is of no challenge whatsoever to 'Winston'.

"Winston' is pretty much straight out of the box. Tyres are up-sized to 33's but still all-train. Spare tyre now sits on rear bumper to make room for extra gas tank underneath. Traction control on this beast is a big question mark for me. Only time will tell especially during and after up-comming Santa Maria Mission trek,500 Race look/see and La Turquesa trip. Most rediculous engineering aspect of this ride is LACK of GROUND CLEARANCE! It is heavy(6,000lbs.)and big and great on the street and light off-roading. You are invited on these and all treks to see 'Winston' fail or rail. If seen stopped off-road somewhere please stop and give me a tug!!

Best Regards, sq.

The squarecircle - 5-19-2007 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
SQ I'm interested in joining a trip there too. I'll be to the hwy1 section next weekend to look it over. But to do it I'll come down in my Toyota.

Greetings TW,

NOW you KNOW it is always good when you show up and I hope you will. The La Turquesa climb out is spectactular and tough.

I know my toyota would clean this route but I need to prove or disaprove the new cage.

Best Regards, sq.

Thanks for the info.

BAJACAT - 5-19-2007 at 03:40 PM

I do have a question? from main gonzaga rd to the pools how manny miles is that...

BAJACAT - 5-19-2007 at 10:32 PM

Never mind I check pass trip reports, and found out that, is about 3 miles from mex 5 to the terquesa pools.but the next question is how is the weather...

David K - 5-20-2007 at 08:59 AM

Weather in Baja is 'always' GREAT!

It is still May... which is considered (by most) to be the best month in Baja, along with October!

bajalou - 5-20-2007 at 09:32 AM

It's been so damn cool here in San Felipe, I'm expecting snow any day now -

BAJACAT - 5-20-2007 at 04:18 PM

Thanks for the update senor Coco here i gooooooooooooooooooooo

David K - 5-21-2007 at 06:19 PM

Squarecircle is looking for road building volunteers ... Just a mile between the mine and the grade!

edm1 - 5-21-2007 at 07:46 PM

DK,

Very interested and how I wish I could join you guys after Baja 500. But I could only be in Baja during the first 3 weeks in July as I have to be in Long Beach on the 21st (I'm even missing the El Rosario Festival, what a miss!).

'Know anyone else around La Turquesa between Jul 1st and July 20th?

David K - 5-21-2007 at 08:30 PM

Well... July 4th weekend is when I usually go to L.A. Bay... Might be a bit warm to build a road then... Maybe wait for the Baja 1000 in November, as they may bulldoze the way through so racers can go through Coco's Corner without going anywhere near San Felipe or Puertecitos!

Maybe like this...

[Edited on 5-22-2007 by David K]

baja 1000 maybe-r.JPG - 41kB

Ken Cooke - 5-30-2007 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Squarecircle is looking for road building volunteers ...

I'm always glad to lend a hand.:bounce:

Im in guys

BAJACAT - 5-30-2007 at 09:02 PM

David K - 6-12-2007 at 07:45 PM

Jose, contact The squarecircle...! June 15th he is heading down there to build the road...

Pappy Jon - 9-4-2007 at 05:52 PM

Any update here?

David K - 9-4-2007 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
Any update here?

Roy posted two replies in this thread: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=25035

They covered his return trip to lower La Turquesa with friends who tried to get over the boulders to the base of the mountain where the mine road meets the valley floor.