BajaNomad

Mexico sportfishermen, read and take action!

Cardon Man - 5-18-2007 at 06:03 PM

You can help -- A view from The Billfish Foundation

Mexico’s New Shark and Ray Fishing Regulations Threaten Billfish & Other Ocean Resources

Despite strong opposition from The Billfish Foundation (TBF) and scores of partners in Mexico, Mexican officials approved Regulation NOM -029 (Shark Norma). This regulation, promoted as a way to stop the over-exploitation of sharks and rays, was rejected by Mexico’s last two Presidents, but strongly supported by commercial fishing interests in Ensenada, Sinaloa, Sonora, Mexican Fisheries (CONAPESCA) and some Mexican and United States Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs).

The people of Baja California Sur, TBF and other NGOs believe that NOM-029 is a deeply flawed regulation, which will have devastating overfishing consequences for billfish, sharks and rays even though a finning prohibition is included for sharks and rays. Healthy and abundant ocean resources are very important to the eco-tourism based economy in the Cabo and adjacent region, thus heightening the conservation ethic among many individuals and businesses working with TBF. At the same time commercial longline fishing interests have long lobbied for the regulations liberalized permitting requirements, opening the flood gates to thousands of vessels. Hidden potential threats to further reduce marine resources in and around Baja California Sur are throughout the approved regulation.

TBF, along with other groups, will fight to rescind these bad rules. TBF President Ellen Peel stated: “ We are working with our friends in Mexico to look for legal ammunition against the Norma-29, we are looking towards federal legislation to overrule this threat to ocean resources and we are continuing to network with conservation-minded Mexican friends ands supporters to overturn this foolish set of regulations.” Good conservation pays, irresponsible management is short sighted and causes everyone to lose. If you fish in waters off Cabo and the Sea of Cortez or you support responsible management in those waters, [and south to Huatulco] let your voice be heard.

Use this link to send an email to Mexican officials...
http://www.seawatch.org/mail_campaign/norma_letter.php

More disturbing info...

Cardon Man - 5-18-2007 at 06:07 PM

By-catch -- NOM-029 does not restrict by-catch, allowing all “incidental” by-catch to be kept. By-catch runs about 60 to 80%. According to the INP National Report in 1999 two longliners out of Magdalena Bay killed 11,743 striped marlin in 9 months. This comprised 77.5% of the total catch. Panga longliners with shark permits from Manzanillo kill 80% sailfish and sell 150 to 200 tons every month.

Reduction in Protected Zones -- Under current regulations no commercial fishing vessels are allowed to fish for or possess marlin, sailfish, dorado and other protected species within the 50 mile conservation zones. The only allowed fishing was under sportfishing bag limits. This law provided strong protection to a wide variety of marine life. Under NOM-029 these species can be targeted and retained. Commercial boats less than 30' can come within 10 miles of shore with longlines (section 4.2.1). Commercial longline boats between 30' and 89' can fish as near as 15 miles from the shore in the Sea of Cortes, and within 20 miles of the west coast of the Baja (4.7.3).

Current Permits -- Section 4.3.1 of the new regulation restricts the issuance of new shark permits. However, according to reliable sources in the fishing industry, there are approximately 4,200 boats that will be fishing from existing shark permits. 308 permits have been issued to fishing boats over 89 feet, and 225 permits to boats 89 feet or less. More than 600 permits have been issued to pangas (22' to 30'), with 6 pangas able to work from one permit. Based on current fishing practices, this means there are can be more than 1.5 million hooks in the Sea of Cortes on any one day, fishing for sharks, rays and other species

BajaBruno - 5-19-2007 at 12:41 AM

For all of you who were wondering, "What can I do to help?", this is the place. Just follow Cardon Man's link (above) and it will put you on the Sea Watch website where they have a form letter you can sign (I customized mine) which will be automatically sent off to sixty legislators and bureaucrats. Even if you don't add to it, just sign it, put in your email, and send it. It can't hurt, and it very well may help.

Do it, if you like fish, fishing, or the people sport fishing supports:!:

mulege marv - 6-9-2007 at 07:04 AM

[Edited on 6-11-2007 by mulege marv]

flyfishinPam - 6-9-2007 at 03:01 PM

I see thw ater is very warm up there, any tuna up there? tuna may be what these guys are after. I always hate to hear there are tuna off Loreto because this is the result, shark norma or no shark norma

boats

tehag - 6-9-2007 at 03:05 PM

Look to be rigged as purse seiners. Probably after yellowfin tuna. When they make a set, there are no escapees from the surrounded school.

Capt. George - 6-10-2007 at 04:41 AM

they're seiners all right, and they don't miss a fish. watched them set on a school of giant bluefin one day in Cape Cod Bay. Didn't miss a fish, tons and tons, these fish were, on the average, 300 to 600 lbs.

Can you imagine what these seiners in the Mar de Cortez are doing to yellowfin? It boggles the mind. I'm a newbie to Baja but I hear tell of days gone by from the old timers...the sea aboil with fish. Those days, I'm afraid, will not be seen again.