BajaNomad

Catch and release

Osprey - 5-26-2007 at 03:01 PM

Shark Norma revision or no I'm living up to my catch and release policy. This morning released 5 needlefish, 2 caballito, 2 barrilette --- at the boat!

hookemup - 5-26-2007 at 03:11 PM

Headed for those neelefishing grounds in three weeks,keep releasing em.

Sharksbaja - 5-26-2007 at 03:27 PM

Nice.... hey! We want photos!:lol: Easy, one handed fishing, it's more sport!!!:lol::lol:

Diver - 5-26-2007 at 03:28 PM

Please do not release needlefish !

I really get tired of catching the dang things when I want something else for tacos ! :lol:
Just casting a Krok or jig and the dumb things would race it and get snagged anywhere !

Don Alley - 5-26-2007 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

Mine usually release themselves.:lol:
If they don't, I refuse to fillet them. Give 'em a kiss and send them on their way.
I've been criticized by "real" fishermen for actually targeting needlefish, although I confess they are not one of the great gamefish, like the barrilette. Barrilete and bonito rule!:cool:

Sharksbaja - 5-26-2007 at 10:54 PM

Not a whole lot better than smoked bonita:tumble:....slurp

Capt. George - 5-27-2007 at 01:05 AM

fillet and release

Cypress - 5-27-2007 at 07:13 AM

Catch and release as chum.:)

Needles...

Cardon Man - 5-28-2007 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

I really get tired of catching the dang things when I want something else for tacos ! :lol:
Just casting a Krok or jig and the dumb things would race it and get snagged anywhere !

Let's not forget that in the "golden age" of Baja fishing when it was wide open everything...Ray Cannon's favorite fish to target were Needlefish! They can be a pest when you are targeting other species, but they really are cool fish! In Cannon's 'Sea of Cortez' it makes mention of needles as a food fish as I recall. What up with that?!

Un beso

Skipjack Joe - 5-29-2007 at 12:16 AM

All kids love needlefish. Mine's no different.

beso.jpg - 48kB

Needlefish

tuna stick - 5-29-2007 at 12:02 PM

Quite a few years ago, we traveled to Isla Bocas del Torres,Panama. There was no sport fishing operation at that time. There was a teacher,called "Bola",who would take the day off, to take us fishing. We would catch Spanish mackerel,which I would take to a Chinese restaurant across from the hotel. One day, I got an eight pound needlefish,while trolling. The hook was right in the corner of the mouth. Took the needlefish,plus a few small lobsters to the restaurant. When they saw the fish, their eyes lit up ,like Ted Kennedy at a kegger! It was a lovely presentation,needlefish and tails with a black bean salsa. The hotel was on a small bay,and had a porch/dock. Just before sunrise,needlefish would start to arrive. The first to arrive, were schools of smaller ones,a little later,the larger models would start cruising. I fished off the porch every morning that we didn't go out in the boat. Tried about every kind of bait that was available(live bait,dead bait,chicken,pork),would get bitten every day,but no go. Even had one open a snap swivel on me! Finaly, the last day of fishing,I got the hook set on one of the largest. We were having blast,then a sport boat got between me and the fish. Slack! The nephew of the owners told me,he knew I wouldn't get that fish,because,all the years he had been coming there,and watched people try an fail.:rolleyes:

Cypress - 5-29-2007 at 12:56 PM

Heck! I'm ready to fry up a needle fish or two.:)

backninedan - 5-29-2007 at 01:09 PM

With the new long liner regs, we may be having needlefish, triggerfish tournys, with a special prize for the biggest puffer.

[Edited on 5-29-2007 by backninedan]

Cypress - 5-29-2007 at 01:12 PM

Pompano, Looks sorta like a needlefish.:tumble:

Don Alley - 5-29-2007 at 01:29 PM

Hey, I catch those too!

tuna stick - 5-30-2007 at 08:54 AM

Trumpet fish?