BajaNomad

downriggers

4baja - 5-29-2007 at 06:26 AM

anybody use them down there? ive never seen them used but im getting new penns put on the boat and may bring them down next month.:coolup:

aquaholic - 5-29-2007 at 09:22 AM

...we use them up in the Pacific Northwest much of the time, and I have been hearing about the larger boats using them to go down for marlin, etc, when they're not on the surface. I'm not a fan because of all the damn gear that has to go along with using downriggers. Plus, the one(s) in the water when you have a fish hit all have to be pulled and the arm swung into the boat. If you get 'em, go with the electric. Scotty makes the favorites. Give me a feather and a Pacifico any day...

Santiago - 5-29-2007 at 08:54 PM

Steve: somebody was using them trolling for Yellowtail in the northbay this February. We could see them and hear them on the radio but as far as I could tell they never caught anything - but then, no one else was either.

4baja - 5-30-2007 at 06:08 AM

thanks, i will be bringing them down this june anyway. it never hurts to have all your gear at hand. :coolup:

Pescador - 5-30-2007 at 06:34 AM

Pompano is right that they take a lot of time to set up properly, but they can be a really good addition to have when conditions are right. If there are sailfish in the area and they are not working the top water section very well, I will usually put down a couple of live baits and have had great success. Very few people ever use them for yellowtail, which is interesting because one of the favorite methods in the San Carlos area is wire line trolling. On those days where the fish are scattered and no one seems to be getting bit with dropper loops or slider sinkers near the bottom but your depth finder shows some fish, I have used the downriggers very successfully and was the only boat that really caught any fish on those days. So there may be 4-5 days a month in early winter when the fish are feeding deep that it becomes a productive method.
The only other time has been when you have a lot of football sized tuna feeding close to the top and I seem to get a larger class of tuna with the downriggers, but it is pretty chaotic to get two fish on the top and then have two bigger fish go off on the downriggers.

4baja - 5-30-2007 at 06:10 PM

thanks pescador, we use them up here for deep albacore and i thought that it would be a good tool for those larger home guards down deep. we will see!!!!:coolup:

DOWNRIGGERS !!!!!

Norm - 7-10-2007 at 06:37 AM

YES~~~ We use them on our carolina classic & We love them, but we have a hot set up that I am not sharing with any one ~~ But it works !!!
Good fishin to all !!!!

Al G - 7-10-2007 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm
YES~~~ We use them on our carolina classic & We love them, but we have a hot set up that I am not sharing with any one ~~ But it works !!!
Good fishin to all !!!!

Norm...ya don't understand...didn't ya read the small print when ya signed up?? You are a Nomad now...well almost, ya gotta give 'er up.
Ya get kicked out of the Pacifico line for this crime.

805gregg - 7-11-2007 at 12:48 PM

I use them for Salmon but otherwise they are a pain in the butt.

more info

bajadave1 - 7-12-2007 at 06:32 AM

The Allcoast fishing board had some comments from a CSL Capt. (and author, I believe)who claims they work exceedingly well at certain times for marlin, tuna, and wahoo. I believe it was posted on either the "marlin" board, or the " Mexico" fishing board.

Don't know how long stuff is archived, but it might be worth perusing. This was posted sometime in the last 2-3 years. Might still be there.

Dave