BajaNomad

Loreto to San Carlos, Sonora - Trip Report

bill erhardt - 5-31-2007 at 08:47 AM

With action slowing in Loreto and glowing reports from San Carlos, I ran north Friday, spent three nights at Marina San Carlos and returned to Loreto Sunday. On the way north Friday I found a big seaweed paddy about 45 miles south of San Carlos. The paddy was holding schools of dorado of varying sizes. I caught fish to 30 pounds on just about every lure I had on the boat before I moved on with fish still biting. No other fishing boats were in sight. On the way back to Loreto Sunday I found birds and breaking fish about 30 miles east of Punta Concepcion. I immediately thought yellowfin and put out a cedar plug, but the fish were schools of dorado 10 - 15 pounds. The sea was calm both ways and near San Carlos there were many billfish tailing and jumping (more Friday than Sunday). They showed little interest in anything I had to offer, however. I had two marlin bites and one sailfish, but none stuck. Total catch for the two days was 12 - 14 dorado between 10 and 30 pounds.
Observations:
The trip to San Carlos was much shorter than I had always imagined it to be. About 135 miles. Just about what I average on a daily fishing trip out and back to the marina in Loreto. I left Loreto at 5:30 a.m. and after a couple of stops under birds was trolling in San Carlos waters, actually 50 miles south, by 9:00.
When I set the track on the GPS, the heading from Loreto to San Carlos was 357 degrees, 3 degrees west of north.
I saw no long lines until about 50 miles south of San Carlos, but from that point north was seldom out of sight of a long line or a panga tender. In particular, between 50 miles and 30 miles south of SC. The long lines ranged from not so long to up to three miles and more. Although there were billfish and a few sharks in the area, the only fish I saw hooked on the lines were dorado.
Attached is photo of a dorado, 15# or so, on a mariln feather south of San Carlos.

scd16.JPG - 48kB

Soledad in slip at Marina San Carlos

bill erhardt - 5-31-2007 at 08:50 AM

sol16.JPG - 48kB

fisherman in bay at SC in refurbished dingy with Sonora T-top

bill erhardt - 5-31-2007 at 08:53 AM

scf47.JPG - 49kB

whale basking in calm water outside San Carlos

bill erhardt - 5-31-2007 at 08:54 AM

wh24.JPG - 48kB

long line panga tender

bill erhardt - 5-31-2007 at 08:55 AM

pt27.JPG - 48kB

long line float

bill erhardt - 5-31-2007 at 08:58 AM

The floats on the long lines are 3 or 4 liter soda bottles. Here is one bobbing with a dorado hooked under it. The line itself floats and is visible in calm weather, but hard to spot in a chop.

float20.JPG - 44kB

Bob and Susan - 5-31-2007 at 09:32 AM

bill

how do get a slip in the marina?

did you make a call ahead or just radio when you got there?

what is the slip fee?

do you have to check-in with the post captain and is there a port fee?

is there a gas dock or do you haul it from town?

is there a vaccuum pump-out?

is there a close place to stay or do you stay on the boat?

what are the room raes at the marina???

woops...too many questons????:lol:

bill erhardt - 5-31-2007 at 09:56 AM

B&S - I lucked out at the marina, on more than one count. It was a US holiday weekend, there was a fishing tournament out of the marina Saturday and a sailboat race Sunday. I got in around 4:00 p.m. without calling in advance and got the last available slip. I checked with the Captain of the Port in Loreto before I left and he advised that I need not check in on arrival at SC. Apparently the rules were changed a year or so ago. There is no port fee. The slip for 3 nights cost a little over 500 pesos. There is a gas dock at the marina, but I did not check prices since I had plenty aboard to get over and back. I did not check room rates at the marina. I stayed at the Playa de Cortez in Guaymas. Rates there were around 900 pesos Fri and Sat and 650 Sun thru Thu. I don't know about vacuum pump-outs. It is a small marina, but the water looked none too clean.

capt. mike - 5-31-2007 at 09:57 AM

Bob, i am flying divers to san carlos next friday. they are staying at the marina san carlos, used to be the old plaza las glorias, pretty nice place, about 75 to 100 and more a nite depending ona alot of variables, like fish dive packages. nice pool and grounds, check their website.
an easy run in your boat, do it - a nice place and getting expensive! home prices doubled in last 5 years easily, i know from friends who bought then and now.
my freinds own the marina mart there, good people and they have everything for boats.

nice report Bill!!
go there i'll meet you!

Hook - 5-31-2007 at 10:40 AM

A few more details to Bill's Excellent Adventure (well, except for the damn longlines! :mad:

It's 18.00/night at MSC for a boat your size B/S. But they DO require you to have on-the-water liability insurance to get a slip. They will make a copy of the policy. Just hail "Marina San Carlos", "Marina San Carlos" on 16 and they will move you to the working channel. Outside of the tournaments, there are generally a fair number of slips available from May-October.

There is a slight premium on the fuel over the land stations but it wasnt too bad, last time I was there. Like about 12%. Some have questioned the reliability of the fuel metering but what you gonna do in this case?

bill erhardt - 5-31-2007 at 11:37 AM

Hook....... You are right about the insurance. I was unaware of that requirement and not only did not have evidence of insurance, did not have the coverage. The attendant took pity on me and gave me the slip on the promise I would get the liability insurance. Do you know if they require proof of insurance to use the launch ramp?

Hook - 5-31-2007 at 12:21 PM

I'm a little unclear on that, Bill, as I have always slipped for a few days when I launched from there. I would not be surprised if they required it, to be safe.

If you go to the MSC website, you can inquire via email. I actually got a reply from Heidi Grossman personally, last time I had a question. IT was regarding the TIP.

Just went through the Vags insurance stuff for my upcoming trip. Annual on the water liability is 120.00 US through them.

Cypress - 5-31-2007 at 12:45 PM

bill erhardt, Appreciate the fishing report and the pictures.:D Soledad is looking good!:D

Wiles - 6-6-2007 at 04:00 PM

Whale of a picture Bill. Anyone know what species? Anyone??

[Edited on 6-6-2007 by Wiles]

wh24.JPG - 48kB

Skipjack Joe - 6-6-2007 at 05:25 PM

I think it's a blue whale. Perhaps Ken Bondy could confirm that.

Bob and jane - 6-6-2007 at 07:56 PM

Sperm whale. There are pods of them around Loreto this time of year. The silohuette on the water surface is distinctive. The hump at the head and then the hump near the rear, instead of the fin. Watch when they blow--the spray goes forward and to the side instead of up. Their blow holes are kind of sideways on their heads. You can actually see it very well in the photo. They often float lazily at the surface, just kind of bobbing along. Then, we have found, they make a sort of practice "hump" prior to a dive, then a second "hump" and a dive, showing the flukes. These guys are very cool. And don't seem to mind us hanging around as long as we don't get obnoxious.

Wiles - 6-7-2007 at 05:40 AM

Bob & Jane

You're right!!! Sperm Whale, the largest of all toothed whales. Identified by the single, angular blowhole positioned very near the front of the head (rostrum) and rectangular dorsal fin. Yes, they will often spend several minutes logging on the surface recovering from deep and extended dives providing a great observation window should one happen across these cool whales. It seems you've been fortunate to have several encounters with these guys and took the time to stop and enjoy it.

The photo taken by Bill is really quite exceptional!! One of the best I've seen in quite some time. That's why I bumped this thread back to the top. I'm really surprised more didn't take an interest in this picture as sightings of these guys are not an everyday occurance.

bill erhardt - 6-7-2007 at 06:18 AM

I agree that the whale off San Carlos was a sperm. Here are some pics of one of three blue whales I came across between Puerto Escondido and Danzante last month.

bb50.JPG - 46kB

Blue 2

bill erhardt - 6-7-2007 at 06:21 AM

bb255.JPG - 44kB

blue 3

bill erhardt - 6-7-2007 at 06:22 AM

bt80.JPG - 49kB

blue 4

bill erhardt - 6-7-2007 at 06:23 AM

bt355.JPG - 41kB

Bob and jane - 6-7-2007 at 06:27 AM

Bill,