BajaNomad

Sign of the Times

Osprey - 6-2-2007 at 06:34 AM

Twelve years ago, when I moved to this little village, there were just a handful of gringo residents (only 5 of us full time), now there are more than 100 gringo families. For the first time we have been asked to join our Mexican neighbors to protest the new Shark Norma this morning at the delegacion. Part of me wants to stay on the patio -- if they sell all the fish to the longliners mayber the booms like here, Loreto, elsewhere on the water will slow down or go bust. Guess you can't have your fish and eat it too.

Cypress - 6-2-2007 at 06:42 AM

The excellent fishing draws many people to Baja.:) If the fishing goes, they will look to other places.:)

Al G - 6-2-2007 at 07:18 AM

I am moving to Baja for the fishing....so I am interested in how bad it will get. Will my retirement concept be totally wiped out? There are many things of interest in Baja and people would say I am crazy for not having more interest in them. Truth is I can find most of them here in the US. My concentration has been fishing… Maybe I just cannot see the light??
What else would hold your interest in Baja if fishing completely goes away...or will it?
Remember I am over 60 and do not think I will take up wind surfing.

Al G - 6-2-2007 at 07:28 AM

Osprey...Good luck with your protest...Wish I could stand beside you, Let us know how to send you Pacificos if things go wrong. :lol:

[Edited on 6-2-2007 by Al G]

Osprey - 6-2-2007 at 07:31 AM

Al, I'd like to say there will always be inshore fishing but that's not the case. When the 300 odd charter boats in this bay can't find enough dorado, tuna, sails or marlin they swing inshore and with unlimited bait in the well, give their charter clients fun/food fish rather than sending them back to the U.S. with empty coolers -- when I try to buy the same bait, the bigger boats just bump me out of the way -- I have to wait til all the resort boats have what they want. Right now the charters are finding a hot marlin bite, pargo to 25 lbs. Baja Sur is ripe for exploring, snorkling, picnics on deserted beaches.

capitolkat - 6-2-2007 at 07:31 AM

Political activity by non-Mexicans in Mexico raises a lot of ugly consequences-- careful --