BajaNomad

Suspension airbags for off road use

BigWooo - 6-6-2007 at 06:49 PM

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences using suspension airbags off road? I'm installing a set on an older (97) F350 crew cab with a Lance Lite 8' camper and service body.

The reason I'm switching to the airbags instead of my overload springs is because I've cracked the frame three times now.

The guys at the shop I go to believe the problem (besides the weight, of course) may be the overload springs don't span as wide a reach as the leaf springs, they push down in the middle while the leaf springs push up from the bottom. Their theory is that all the force needs to come from one direction with better distribution, plus they feel the airbags will absorb some of the energy where the springs transfer it directly to the frame.

Sounds reasonable, but I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced any handling problems, or failures with the airbags over washboard/rocks etc. since they're really designed for towing.

Hook - 6-6-2007 at 06:54 PM

Im interested, too.

Cant believe how mushy my rear end is now with the new Bilsteins. Much better ride w/o the Lance but with the Lance I have about 4-5 inches of shock travel left in the back. Disappointed.

Wish I had saved my rear Ranchos.......

Bob H - 6-6-2007 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Im interested, too.

Cant believe how mushy my rear end is now with the new Bilsteins. Much better ride w/o the Lance but with the Lance I have about 4-5 inches of shock travel left in the back. Disappointed.

Hook, I'm glad I read this. I will now not buy the Bilsteins based on your experience. I have to get get my sway down. So, maybe I'll look at the Ranchos. Where can I find them?
I have airbags and it's nice to be able to air them down when offroading in my F250 Super Duty 4x4.
Bob H

Diver - 6-6-2007 at 06:58 PM

After a few trips to Baja with our old 9' camper, I decided to add the rear air bags to my '94 F250. They helped level the truck and also helped side sway quite a bit.
Although I have never had a problem with them in moderate off-road conditions, they have been known to bust a frame with too much pressure.
They definitely DON'T help the ride off-road or in the washboards. Let your tires down !

I have some on my '04 F350 crew and don't really need them. The only real advantage is helping side sway and for when I load up REALLY heavy.

tripledigitken - 6-6-2007 at 07:37 PM

I agree with the previous posts.

I have a 97 250 4 by 4 with bilsteens, rear sway bar and firestone air bags. I carry a 10' Lance. About 3000 pounds. Ride loaded is great and I have also noticed the side sway is greatly reduced. Very easy to get it completely level.

I do very little offroad loaded so can't comment on that. But without the camper they have no effect as the springs are dominent over the air bags, if that makes sense. I air the bags down to a minimal pressure when using it without the camper.

I am very pleased with the bags with the camper on! Have had them on for 30,000+ miles.

Ken

Note the placement of the Happy Jacs with the springs down.:tumble:

[Edited on 6-7-2007 by tripledigitken]

Hook - 6-6-2007 at 08:11 PM

Ranchos are available at fine off road shops anywhere, Bob. Get the 9000s.

BigWooo - 6-6-2007 at 08:40 PM

Hook: I’m having the overloads removed and the airbags installed tomorrow. We’re heading down next week so I’ll be able to let you know how they work; I guess you’re leaving soon also. Enjoy.

Bob: Like hook said, most off-road places sell the Ranchos. (I’m very happy with them, 9000’s). Get them from a good reputable shop because they have a lifetime warranty, and once and a while one will blow out. I had a 5 year old set warrantied because they no longer worked properly, no questions asked.

Diver: Thanks for the info. I don’t do any real “serious” off-roading either, mostly just washboard and the occasional rocky riverbed or sand. All I’m hoping for is to control the sway as good as my overload springs do (and without breaking the frame). I do let the tires down. Have BF 285/75/16- normal is 65psi we drop them to about 45 off-road. I’m scared to go less with all the weight. At 45 it rides washboard pretty well and so far no problems with the tires.

Triple: Nice rig! I bet with the service bed and the 8 foot camper I weigh nearly the same as you. Sounds like the airbags will control the sway like I hoped.

Bob, when ordering shocks, I learned this the hard way: Have whoever you order them from measure the distance from the shock mount to the frame mount with and without the camper, that way you can order shocks that aren’t too compressed with the camper on, or two maxed out with the camper off. I measured with the camper on, but when I took the camper off the shocks only had 2” of travel. They blew out….that one wasn’t warranty :no:

Hook - 6-6-2007 at 08:47 PM

I dont understand why you cant just order the ones made for your vehicle ASSUMING your load in within your laden weight capacity. My Lance is well within the capacity of my F350 by about 500#.

I guess I'm headed to air bags, too. There is no way the tongue weight of my boat will handle this.

Any body have the Edelbrocks or KYBs or anything else on rigs similar to ours?

[Edited on 6-7-2007 by Hook]

Tomas Tierra - 6-6-2007 at 08:48 PM

key words in Kens post.."I do very little offroad loaded"

Hook - 6-6-2007 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
key words in Kens post.."I do very little offroad loaded"

Yeah but does that mean he doesnt take the Lance offroad? Cause if he does, that's loaded.

tripledigitken - 6-7-2007 at 08:53 AM

Let me clarify the post. When I talk offroad loaded (with Lance) I mean conditions beyond graded roads.

For Instance: To Gonzaga yes, to San Fransisquito on to El Arco no.

With a 3000# camper with aggressive lean angles the bed starts twisting with the weight of the camper. It's just not enjoyable for me. It's beating up the truck and camper too much, IMO. It would be very hard to get it unstruck if you got into troulble also. Can the suspension handle it, probably. I don't think a 10' camper off graded roads is what they are designed for. Get a popup or the offroad towbehinds that are available.

For aggressive kind of offroading I will tent camp and take the Xterra.

I hope this answers your questions.

Bob H - 6-7-2007 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Ranchos are available at fine off road shops anywhere, Bob. Get the 9000s.

Did you have the Rancho in-cab remote adjuster?

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/rancho_9000.cfm

Interesting stuff here.
Bob H

tripledigitken - 6-7-2007 at 12:24 PM

Bob,

Your truck with camper sways with air bags? Do you have anti-sway bar?

Ken

Roberto - 6-7-2007 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Im interested, too.

Hook, as you yourself have said, shocks are not there to carry weight. If you are sagging and swaying with the load, you need to look at the springs - the shocks should only dampen the spring action. Talk to Jeff about adding a leaf or re-arching (that may be enough but I doubt it).

Hook - 6-7-2007 at 09:53 PM

Roberto I just dont understand how simply changing shocks could have caused this condition. The springs alone couldnt be the issue as the weight was supported fine with the Ranchos. I was looking for softer than the Ranchos but this is too soft.

Roberto - 6-7-2007 at 10:02 PM

The ranchos were stiff enough to help out. That does not mean they were being put to proper use. In the long term, and in the interest of dependability, I would check into the spring theory. I could be wrong, but then again maybe not. Jeff will tell you in a minute and dispel all doubt.

Hook - 6-8-2007 at 09:44 AM

You're right, Roberto. Thats what I got to do. He'll know.

Unfortunately, I gotta make it through the trip we are leaving on RIGHT NOW. Two weeks....let's hope they make it.

Roberto - 6-8-2007 at 12:52 PM

You'll be fine - just take it easy on the turns and try to avoid sudden swerves. Best wishes.

Hook - 6-8-2007 at 01:39 PM

What I gotta do is drink down some of this wine I'm bringing. Plumpjack, Eberle, Beringer P.R., some exotic stuff from OZ and sudamerica........if anyone spots us, you'd be wise to flag us down. We're basically treating this trip as a "moving sale" on some of our cellared stuff.

Roberto - 6-8-2007 at 07:18 PM

Okey dokey - U2U your itinerary. I will go out of my way to help out. That's just the kind of person I am. :lol::lol:

I took my air bags off...

Mexray - 6-8-2007 at 10:31 PM

...of our 99 F-350. I'd installed them before our road trip last Oct, and put a sharp rock or twig or stick or some kind of flotsam right through one side while driving on a gravel road!

We've got the camper/towing setup - o'load leaf and sway bar from the factory. I put on 9000 adj. Rancho's also.

I didn't like the 'sway factor' with the 16 inch single rear wheels - I didn't notice any improvement when I installed the air bags.

I had a devil of a time finding another air bag on the road...everyone offered to order one with several days wait...found one in Phoenix only when they agreed to break up a kit and reorder the bag for their stock - nice guys!

When I got back from the trip, I took off the air bags and installed the 'SuperSpring' helper leaves that lay atop the overload leaf and are attached by adjustable shackles so you can adjust the height to even out the 10 ft camper load we carry...BTW, our Lance looks just like 3DKen's pic - nice rig Ken!

Due to the weight of the loaded rig, I switched to 325/65R18 ProComp XAT tires and it's eliminated the 'sway factor' a great deal - a real day/night kind of improvement!

As we carry the camper most of the time on our truck, if I had it to do all over again, I'd take the loaded rig down to my friendly leaf spring shop and have them remove those 'short, HARD ridin' overload leaves, and modify the main spring packs to handle the camper load by themselves!

The air bags are good for adjusting the level of the loaded truck, for/aft and side to side...but if you puncture one like we did, you're riding back down on those hard ridin' overload leaves till you get it fixed...and if you're miles down a washboard road, it's going to be a long, rough ride back!

Click on image to enlarge:

BTW...For you SuperDuty drivers out there, you can get the finned, alum rear diff cover shown in the picture above(they're stock on the 08 models) from your FORD dealer (part#8C3Z-4033-A) for about $35, Garage price, and about $50 retail! You'll need 12 each, 5/16-18, 1-1/4 long, bolts for the new finned cover. I got some SS socket head bolts to match the alum finish...cooool:cool:

I stuck mine on when I changed the diff gears to 4.56 ratio (and a Detroit TrueTrac LS in the rear) a couple weeks ago.

[Edited on 6-9-2007 by Mexray]

dshock - 6-19-2007 at 07:14 PM

I have been using airbags on our Baja Mobile - FJ60. After about 2500 miles of loaded travel, I am really happy with them! I am particularly happy with the tunability of the bags. I will provide an update and pictures after we return.

Have a great day,
Dan

Done locally

Lee - 6-20-2007 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Hook, I'm glad I read this. I will now not buy the Bilsteins based on your experience. I have to get get my sway down. So, maybe I'll look at the Ranchos. Where can I find them?

Got a quote last week for Rancho 9000XL's @ $600 installed and another $600 for the ''remote'' (comes with an air compressor). The remote is 2 gauges installed in the cab that make adjusting easy -- push a button and go hard or soft. Not cheap.

:cool:

bajaguy - 6-20-2007 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
push a button and go hard or soft. Not cheap.

:cool:

We should all be so lucky......:lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS - 6-20-2007 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

We should all be so lucky......:lol::lol::lol:

Somebody told me those things had a foot pump which would probably ruin the mood.

joel - 6-20-2007 at 08:34 PM

This is a very informative thread.

I have just put a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires on my Suburban and just drove it down Highway 1. I was really surprised at how much sway there was with all of my camping great for a family of four for two weeks.

Would air bags be the solution to the sway? Or should I first go with stiffer springs? The back end is a few inches lower than the front with the load.

I do a fair amount of moderate off-roading on graded washboard and the occasional ungraded road.

Thanks,

Joel

Air Bags

DianaT - 6-21-2007 at 08:01 AM

I know Hook is on the road, but thought I would add my 2 cents.

Just arrived back home from Baja with our airbags in a crate in the back of the truct. We had the airbags installed when we had a small camper---great for leveling and helped a lot.

However, no matter how many times we tightened them we had a problem with them coming loose on dirt roads. Thus, they road home this time in a crate. We are putting our super springs back on.

May need shocks soon, glad to hear the reccomendations.

Diane

TMW - 6-21-2007 at 02:37 PM

["Would air bags be the solution to the sway? Or should I first go with stiffer springs? The back end is a few inches lower than the front with the load."]

With some of the problems people are having with the air bags I would go for a stiffer spring. Do you have an antisway bar in the rear? Maybe add one.

dshock - 6-21-2007 at 04:44 PM

The problem with a stiffer spring is that they are stiff all the time and will punish you when unloaded. I am incredibly happy with my airbags. Of course, I did some extensive modifications to the brackets to eliminate any possiblity of them loosening. The airbags themselves will take the punishment, but the bracketry has to be up to the task. I think that they are the prefect solution for your suburban...

If you want to use them offroad and for sway control, install a couple of valves so that you can isolate the bags (for sway control) or allow air to flow between them for articulation. It is a great solution!

Have a great day,
Dan

DianaT - 6-21-2007 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dshock
The problem with a stiffer spring is that they are stiff all the time and will punish you when unloaded. I am incredibly happy with my airbags. Of course, I did some extensive modifications to the brackets to eliminate any possiblity of them loosening. The airbags themselves will take the punishment, but the bracketry has to be up to the task. I think that they are the prefect solution for your suburban...

If you want to use them offroad and for sway control, install a couple of valves so that you can isolate the bags (for sway control) or allow air to flow between them for articulation. It is a great solution!

Have a great day,
Dan

Yes, we also liked the air-bags, but had the problem because we did not modify the brackets. What we like about the super springs is that they don't engage unless there is a load.

Happy Travels
Diane

joel - 7-7-2007 at 08:18 AM

Any recommendations on a set-up for rear airbags with a controller in the driving compartment? I think I'm going to put one on my Suburban with coils.

MoFish - 7-8-2007 at 09:19 PM

I have air bags ,rancho 9000 shocks -3 trips down Highway 5 2600 # Lance no problem with the suspension . just flats

installing air bags

Tomas Tierra - 9-14-2007 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dshock
Of course, I did some extensive modifications to the brackets to eliminate any possiblity of them loosening. The airbags themselves will take the punishment, but the bracketry has to be up to the task.
Have a great day,
Dan

Dshock, or anybody,

What is the modification to the bracket???

Thanx,
TT

comitan - 9-14-2007 at 12:28 PM

Heres something to consider.

http://www.timbren.com/

Barry A. - 9-14-2007 at 01:08 PM

My 2-cents worth-------

'94 F-250 ext. cab, long bed 4x4 with a 1000lb Callen cabover camper plus Gregor boat on top and full load of camp gear------285x75 16's BFG All terraign TA (load range D)on 8 inch wide rims-----50 lbs on the highway, 40 lbs (roughly) in the dirt (or less in sand)

no overloads------add-a-leafs front and rear making the rear springpacks 6 leaf, and the front spring packs 3 leaf. Bilstein motorhome shocks on the front----KYB motorhome shocks on the back------anti sway bars front and rear------truck sits absolutely level when fully loaded, back end slightly higher when unloaded-------rides like a dream, both on and off pavement with practically no sway. I love this suspension.

I do a lot of driving on bad roads, so wanted something that would "stand up" to the wash board and rocks punishment------this suspension works great------had it for about 5 years now, and it was totally installed by a shop that specializes in custom suspensions for motorhomes and off-road vehicles.

My experience in the past is that airbags fail on bad roads----they just cannot take the constant pounding-----but they are fine on pavement.

[Edited on 9-14-2007 by Barry A.]

Tomas Tierra - 9-14-2007 at 02:27 PM

Quote:

My experience in the past is that airbags fail on bad roads----they just cannot take the constant pounding-----but they are fine on pavement.

[Edited on 9-14-2007 by Barry A.]

BARRY,
Have you had the bags fail on your rig? If so what brand and how did they fail?? Thanx for posting..

TT

Barry A. - 9-14-2007 at 02:40 PM

Thomas T.-----

Yes, I have had airbags and air-shocks fail on my rig, but it was a long time ago (15 years ago??), and it was a smaller rig----still a full size pickup, but smaller camper-----a shell.

I am sorry but I do not remember the brand names on either the shocks or the bags, but it was so long ago it probably doesn't matter now.

I have heard others complain about airbag failures in the rough road areas, but they seem to work just fine on the pavement-----it is the vibration from washboard that seems to cause the failures, as well as multible rocks.

By the way, I destroyed two wood framed alum. covered camper shells on the roads of Baja over the years. I finally bought a custom designed 43" tall cab-over Callen Camper (steel frame) 24 years ago and it is still going strong with no structural failures----it is on it's second truck.

Tomas Tierra - 9-14-2007 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Heres something to consider.

Thank You Comitan- I will look into those as well.

I have always been sort of anti-airbag. Now in preparing a 2002 Tundra for my Four wheel pop up camper, I'm thinking they may be the way to go. it is an 8 foot camper on a six foot bed..and, I will be taking it off alot so I want the adjusability..

The way I have my current truck set up with built up leaf spring packs,it's just rediculous without the camper on.

Tomas Tierra - 9-14-2007 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I finally bought a custom designed 43" tall cab-over Callen Camper (steel frame) 24 years ago and it is still going strong with no structural failures----it is on it's second truck.

Barry,

I've been with the alum. frame 4 wheel pop up camper for a dozen years or so..Just got a new(er) one a couple of months ago:spingrin:.
had my last one (built in 1984)for over 10 years.Just sold it for $100 more than i paid..

Have heard nothing but great things about Callens forever..

The bags must have been improved in 15 years, I'm hoping so anyway...

Barry A. - 9-14-2007 at 02:54 PM

TT-----You and Neal Johns really champion those "pop-ups"--------I will have to look into that as my Callen is really pretty basic, with no amenities to speak of------it really is just a giant "shell" with a closed luggage compartment over the cab, but it has served me well-----but it is REALLY heavy!!

My biggest concern with the "Pop-up" camper is will it support a 14 foot Alum (tin boat)??

Lots of good advice on this thread, I am thinking.

Hook - 9-14-2007 at 03:59 PM

Barry, I must point out that even with the weight of your Callen and boat combined, it's a far cry from the weight of a basic Lance with all fluids. Mine is about 2500# wet, but unloaded. I'm not sure your setup is more than about 1300#, counting just your shell and boat.

Now lets add the accessories that you probably carry over what is already in the Lance and you probably gain maybe 150#. Your outboard and my external generator are probably a push.

You're probably still carrying about 1000# less than the average Lance. I think your suspension setup might not apply to us Lance guys.

To others............I've had airbag problems even on-road.

Those timbren things look interesting.

msteve1014 - 9-14-2007 at 04:07 PM

I have had air bags on a k2500 chevy for about 15 years hauling a big lance, then a hallmark pop up with no problems. Being able to adjust to a change in the load is a huge plus. I now have a new set, on a new truck, hauling the same hallmark with a 12 foot boat on top, no problems in many miles on bad roads from Baja to Montana and back.

Hook - 9-14-2007 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
I have had air bags on a k2500 chevy for about 15 years hauling a big lance, then a hallmark pop up with no problems. Being able to adjust to a change in the load is a huge plus. I now have a new set, on a new truck, hauling the same hallmark with a 12 foot boat on top, no problems in many miles on bad roads from Baja to Montana and back.

Steve-o, what you got.....the Firestones or the AirLifts or ?. Any bracket mods?

msteve1014 - 9-14-2007 at 04:28 PM

Both sets are air lifts and the brackets are stock. I dont know about any mods needed.

Barry A. - 9-14-2007 at 04:42 PM

Hook------------Your figures are about right----------I was just contributing my "2 cents worth" for what it is worth (??)-------

As for it's application to you "Lance" haulers (scary!!!)----pay attention to me at your own risk :lol:

Tomas Tierra - 9-14-2007 at 05:37 PM

Quote:

You know me Mike, Just a couple of surfboards and the family in the old Toyota....:P

Is that road out to Chivato really that tough?? (edit) :lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by Tomas Tierra]

Tomas Tierra - 9-14-2007 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Both sets are air lifts and the brackets are stock. I dont know about any mods needed.

Someone said earlier that the brackets on the firestones had jiggled loose...Can you through bolt those to the frame???

Was on thr timbren site earlier looking around, interesting.Anybody using that stuff???

Barry,

You should check out the world of the aluminium framed pop up camper..

http://www.Wanderthewest.com is a user group for Four wheel campers and All Terrain campers.....lots of different Mods and applications there..good group..

http://www.allterraincampers.com
http://www.fourwheelcampers.com

cpg - 9-14-2007 at 06:01 PM

my airbags go in the spring they cant come out.

David K - 9-14-2007 at 06:22 PM

My '05 Tacoma now has new, larger Bilstein (5100) shocks in back and the air bags are on their way to help the weak rear springs... from Off Road Warehouse... A full report coming once it is a done deal. Just the bigger Bilsteins alone, I have stopped bottoming on bumps and dips, with a load.:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-16-2007 by David K]

msteve1014 - 9-14-2007 at 07:46 PM

The brackets are bolted into the side of the frame....stock with the kit. No bolts have ever come out of mine.The road to chivato is not bad, the road to La Purisma is, the road to Gonzaga is, been there with more of a load than your TOY will ever see:P Oh yeah, my rancho 9000s don't leak either

Tomas Tierra - 9-14-2007 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
been there with more of a load than your TOY will ever see:P

Thankfully, If I ever need that much stuff to keep me busy I'm done:lol::lol::lol::o....

My buddy over AT VENTURA 4X4 has a couple of mounting tricks for the bags I may employ..He won't let the cat out of the bag though,$$$...

Edit..
Hang on...are my rancho 9000's leaking?? I don't get it..

Tomas Tierra - 9-14-2007 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
My '05 Tacoma now has new, larger Bilstein (5100) shocks in back and the air bags are are their way to help the weak rear springs... from Off Road Warehouse... A full report coming once it is a done deal. Just the bigger Bilsteins alone, I have stopped bottoming on bumps and dips, with a load.:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by David K]

So are you monting air bags as well as the new shocks??

Hook - 9-14-2007 at 09:22 PM

I thought the newer Toys were supposed to be 1/2 ton. Dont understand how you could be overloading it, David, w/o even a shell on it.

Or an E-Z UP............:lol:

A few points...

Mexray - 9-14-2007 at 09:56 PM

I believe Firestone makes most if not all of the smaller air bag springs for the aftermarket Installations...it may have some mfg's logo on the bag, but still actually mfg'd by F'stone. Goodyear used to make em', but I believe gave up some time ago...

http://www.fsip.com/riderite/products/rrinfo.shtml

As mentioned in my post on page 1, I punctured one of my new air bags...stick or sharp rock, couldn't tell which...they did make it easy to level the load of the heavy Lance camper on our F-350...but I didn't really notice any improvement in the 'sway' factor when I installed them.

I'm not too sold on those 'rubber donut' type overload 'springs'...if you're packing a big heavy camper 'load' back there, those 'donuts' are concentrating a lot of weight in one small area on the frame bracket.

At least the air bag brackets are longer and able to spread out the load somewhat, but still concentrate the 'overload' stress in one small section of the frame, a consideration in hard off road use.

While not perfect, the SuperSpring type overload leaves spread the frame load onto two points, for and aft of the axle. They have shackles with several holes so you can adjust the tension and therefore the ride height.

http://www.supersprings.com/

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by Mexray]

David K - 9-15-2007 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Quote:
My '05 Tacoma now has new, larger Bilstein (5100) shocks in back and the air bags are are their way to help the weak rear springs... from Off Road Warehouse... A full report coming once it is a done deal. Just the bigger Bilsteins alone, I have stopped bottoming on bumps and dips, with a load.:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by David K]

So are you monting air bags as well as the new shocks??

Yes... Riderite airbags (Firestone rubber) to help the leaf springs in back.

David K - 9-15-2007 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
I thought the newer Toys were supposed to be 1/2 ton. Dont understand how you could be overloading it, David, w/o even a shell on it.

I have always stated the pros and cons with my Tacomas... The '05 and newer, larger (and it's a four door) Tacomas will 'bottom-out' with a load in the back seat or bed when hitting speed bumps or dips in the road (at speed). My '01 Tacoma never had that problem with the stock Bilsteins and Toyota springs.

The springs are the problem with this heavier truck, and the most affordable way to deal with it after much research seemed to be air bags... which are adjustable for whatever load I have.

For a small investment more, I upgraded the Bilstein shocks from the stock TRD model (comfy ride) to the 5100 made for the '05 Tacoma... bolt right on. Shocks control the movement, but aren't for load suspension (that's why the air bags).

As I said, a full report when it is all installed... :spingrin::yes:

Bajaboy - 9-15-2007 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I have always stated the pros and cons with my Tacomas... The '05 and newer, larger (and it's a four door) Tacomas will 'bottom-out' with a load in the back seat or bed when hitting speed bumps or dips in the road (at speed). My '01 Tacoma never had that problem with the stock Bilsteins and Toyota springs.

The springs are the problem with this heavier truck, and the most affordable way to deal with it after much research seemed to be air bags... which are adjustable for whatever load I have.

For a small investment more, I upgraded the Bilstein shocks from the stock TRD model (comfy ride) to the 5100 made for the '05 Tacoma... bolt right on. Shocks control the movement, but aren't for load suspension (that's why the air bags).

As I said, a full report when it is all installed... :spingrin::yes:

Hey DK-

I can't wait for the report....I need to do something as well especially with my shell and Autohome. Please keep us (me) posted.

Zac

David K - 9-16-2007 at 09:29 AM

You bet Zac... :light:

TMW - 9-16-2007 at 10:28 AM

My 07 Tacoma would bottom in the rear with 4 adults in it going over cattle guards etc. I added an add a leaf which helped with loads but is too hard when not loaded. A smaller leaf would be better or a small overload spring. Since it's a company truck and I only drive it while at work I can live with the way it is. For a while I was carrying around 300 lbs of asphalt bags in the back and it road real good. My 93 Toyota has an add a leaf which works much better as does my 04 GMC. Am interest in David's air bag ride.

bajalou - 9-16-2007 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Shocks control the movement, but aren't for load suspension (that's why the air bags).

This fact is often overlooked when talking about suspension problems. You need to get the load carrying part right for what you carry, then get the shocks to smooth out the ride.

David K - 9-24-2007 at 06:24 PM

See my Tacoma Air Bag Installation report (posted 9-24-07) here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26974