BajaNomad

Yellowtail at Coronado Islands

bajaandy - 6-8-2007 at 12:48 PM

I realize this only barely counts as a Baja report, since almost everybody fishes the islands out of San Diego, but hey, it's technically Mexico, so here's a report and a couple of shots from our trip out to the Coronado Islands on Wednesday, June 6.

My son Ben and I took our 19 foot Gregor, El Mateo, out of San Diego harbor at about 5:30 am. Weather was pretty snotty, with a ceiling of low clouds and a lot of wind on the water even at that early hour. The swell was running about 4 to 5 feet, which wasn't all that bad, but the wind had the chop up pretty good.

We fished the West side of the South Island to start, somewhat sheltered by Middle Island. I caught one small calico bass there. The coulds parted and the sun came out about 8:00 to allow shirt sleeve fishing.

We moved around the corner between Middle Island and Middle Rock and got into a nice yellowtail bite right around 9:00. Water temp was about 64 degrees. Most of the yellows were taken on sardines, the bigger the better it seemed, fished about 20 feet off the bottom at around 60 feet. A few were taken on surface irons with an exciting hit from a bait boil producing my biggest fish of the day at 24 lbs. At one point we had a double hookup going. That was the best!

In all we boated 8 yellowtail, the smallest at 12 lbs and the biggest at 24 lbs with most of the fish in the 20 lb class, plus the one calico at about 2 lbs.

We wrapped it up at about noon when the sun went back behind the clouds. We had a bit of a wet ride back with the chop and the swell, but it was worth it.

By the way, almost all of the fillets have been into the smoker now, except for the choice ones given to friends and those going on the grill. :biggrin:

[Edited on 6-8-2007 by bajaandy]

[Edited on 6-8-2007 by bajaandy]

Yellowtail.jpg - 45kB

bajaandy - 6-8-2007 at 12:49 PM

Ben on a fish.

Yellowtail Ben.jpg - 39kB

bajaandy - 6-8-2007 at 12:49 PM

Nothin' but fun!

Yellowtail Andy.jpg - 38kB

Hook - 6-8-2007 at 01:44 PM

OH YEAH...........MEXICAN JURELES!!!!! MEAN MO-FOs!!!!!

Nice job, Andy, pulling fish that size off the bottom in only 60 feet.

bajaandy - 6-8-2007 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
OH YEAH...........MEXICAN JURELES!!!!! MEAN MO-FOs!!!!!

Nice job, Andy, pulling fish that size off the bottom in only 60 feet.

Hook, we were actually in about 80 feet of depth and fishing at about 60 feet. Even so, we got broken off a time or two when they got the better of us and got into the rocks. All good fun!

woody with a view - 6-8-2007 at 02:42 PM

nice job andy! a day on the water with junior is hard to beat!!!!!

Roberto - 6-8-2007 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandy
We moved around the corner between Middle Island and Middle Rock and got into a nice yellowtail bite right around 9:00. [Edited on 6-8-2007 by bajaandy]

That's certainly one of the "traditional areas". Good job - what was the party boat scene like?

jerry - 6-8-2007 at 05:41 PM

party boat usally 50% punking 25% tied to the bottom24% tangeled up and 1 fish on being chased by a seal yeaaa haw

bajaandy - 6-8-2007 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
That's certainly one of the "traditional areas". Good job - what was the party boat scene like?

Well, we got lucky with the party boats... none came and sat on us, but there were a few scratching around in the middle grounds. One did come and anchor up at the gunsight outside from us, but other than that we only shared the spot with a couple of other private boats.