BajaNomad

Saturn Inflatables

kitjv - 6-9-2007 at 09:15 AM

Anybody have any experience with Saturn inflatable boats? On paper these inflatables compare quite favorably with Zodiacs, but at 1/3 the price I tend to be a bit suspicious. Thanks for any input.

Kit

[Edited on 6-9-2007 by kitjv]

[Edited on 6-9-2007 by kitjv]

comitan - 6-9-2007 at 10:35 AM

Why would you want to compare it to a Zodiac, which has a skin of PVC that doesn't last in the sun, and when they lost the class action suite against them all they did was give you a discount of 5% on a new one. Sure I'll buy a new one Manana. The Saturn is also made with PVC.

Diver - 6-9-2007 at 05:59 PM

I bought my Zodiak Bombardier about 7 years ago.
It was 5 or 5 years old when I got it.
Has a few patches but has help up great.
It has been to many Baja beaches.

Never heard of Saturn's. Who makes it ?

kitjv - 6-17-2007 at 07:15 PM

The Saturn line is manufactured in South Korea (which might be the case for many of the major brands as well). I believe that it is imported through www.boatstogo.com.

It is also my understanding that the technological improvements in PVC fabric in the past 20 years has resulted in a material nearly comparable to Hypalon. Although Hypalon might be more impervious to UV rays, there are liquid treatments available to block UVs, thus, making PVC a viable alternative.

Nevertheless, I would love to hear from anyone with first-hand experience with the Saturn boats. Thanks!

Martyman - 6-18-2007 at 08:33 AM

I have a Korean inflatable, Phoenix brand (no longer sold). It is a well made boat and has lasted 5 years with no problems. I would not leave the boat on the beach all summer long. If you are using it for vacation trips where it is out in the sun for a week at it time it should do fine. I use 303 protectant as a "sunscreen" for my Phoenix.
Also remember to let some air out, if it is sitting out of the water in the sun as the excess pressure could blow out the internal baffles or the valves.
The price on the Korean boats is great.