BajaNomad

Ch.1 VHF does not transmit

BajaBruno - 6-12-2007 at 05:00 PM

The La Paz fishing dudes use VHF Chan. 1 to communicate. My radio doesn´t transmit on Chan. 1. If I switch to International, then it will transmit, but I can´t hear anyone.

What´s going on here?:?:

bajalou - 6-12-2007 at 06:10 PM

In US marine channels 1 thru 5 are simplex (receive and transmit o same frequency) International channels 1 thru 5 are duplex (receive on one frequency and transmit on another)

If they are transmitting on US mode, you won't hear half the conversation if your set is set on International.

BajaBruno - 6-14-2007 at 11:17 AM

According to my radio´s guide, transmitting is not allowed on US Channels 1 through 5, though it is in International mode. It is not simplex--it is barred from happening. Has that changed in the years since mine was made?

My question, I suppose has expanded. Can the new radios (mine is about 5 years old) transmit on US Channel 1?

If not, what are the pangeros doing to be able to transmit on US Chan. 1?

bajalou - 6-14-2007 at 03:37 PM

Are you hearing both sides of their conversations?

Roberto - 6-14-2007 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
According to my radio´s guide, transmitting is not allowed on US Channels 1 through 5, though it is in International mode. It is not simplex--it is barred from happening. Has that changed in the years since mine was made?

There are rules and restrictions to the use of those channels: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/vhf.htm . That SHOULDN'T mean that the radio is not able to transmit - just that you will be fined for inappropriate use.

As bajalou said the international channels are allocated differently, the US channel being designated 1Alpha. http://www.durhamradio.com/vhf-marine-frequencies.htm, Sounds like the pangueros as using simplex and you are transmitting duplex - can't get there from here, though it's the receiving freq that's different. In other words, they should be able to hear you, but you can't hear them.

[Edited on 6-14-2007 by Roberto]