BajaNomad

Marina update and tourny results

backninedan - 6-23-2007 at 05:12 PM

The ramp is finished, it justs needs to dry for a few days. There were no workers around, so I was unable to find out just when it will be open to launch. It looks like they did a nice job on it, but launching will be the real test.

The Govenors Cup tourny was just winding up when I left the marina, the largest fish I saw weighed was a 43.6 pound dorado with another around 40 in second. I didnt stick around for the awards, but the weigh in was closed. It was pretty rough outside and many boats came in skunked. All in all, the tourny was well attended with entries near 80. There was a free feed for all and of course beer tents were doing a brisk business. Just another day in paradise..... except for loreto bay, streets torn up, etc. etc.

DENNIS - 6-23-2007 at 06:18 PM

You're supposed to sprinkle holy water on the new ramp. If you don't, it wont work. It'll become possesed and float away on a midnight tide. Everybody knows this. If you don't have holy water, holy Pacifico will do.

Julie - 6-25-2007 at 10:14 AM

A few thoughts about the Governor's Cup Tourney this past Saturday. Though not highly publized,( our neighbor, a pangero was unaware of it), it was well attended by locals and fishermen from TJ down to La Paz. The lack of a ramp did not seem to stop the 80+ boats from participating. We had a group from Constitution come in for it. The entry was free and each entrant received a Tee and Cap. There were lots of prizes, even kids fishing from the beach received awards from 500-1000 pesos. The first prize went to a local pangero, a panga and motor. Two of our guests, gringos from Seattle, took the third prize of 15,000 pesos, a nice rod and reel and two really nice etched glass tropheys!
All the fish went to feed all attendees.
As tourney's go I thought this one was very well done.
Julie Ramos
Iguana Inn
Oh yes , the Corona girls were there looking fabulous

bajajudy - 6-25-2007 at 01:31 PM

Julie
Glad to hear that it went well there. I think that this is one of the best(ok possibly the only good one) ideas that the government has come up with. All the people can participate, even kids fishing on shore. I guess that you know that they are having them all over BCS. The one here was a huge success too.

Cypress - 6-25-2007 at 01:59 PM

Tournaments are called "Fishing Rodeos" down along the AL, MS, LA coasts in the USA. :D They have prize catagories for every species of fish in the area; inshore, offshore, fresh, salt, etc.:D Everyone has a shot at a prize. :spingrin:

toneart - 6-25-2007 at 02:03 PM

With the ramp closed, where did all the entrants whose boats weren't already in the water launch?

Julie - 6-25-2007 at 02:32 PM

From shore, it was quite a site in the wee hours of Saturday morning. Also forgot to add, no bill fish allowed so as not to encourage no release. Several of our guests were so jazzed they want to plan next years trip to coincide with the event. Also the neighbor pangero was our winning guest's capitan,they gave him a third of the prize $$$ and the rod and reel. It was a very good day at sea for all!!!

flyfishinPam - 6-25-2007 at 02:39 PM

I didn't make it to the tournament because of ongoing computer problems that I had to tend to emergencylike.

My husband Francisco fished with a good friend of his a carpentero who took 10th place with his 30.4 pound yellowtail. He won a nice rod and reel. They caught two YT off Coronado before 9am then went a bit further out and saw nothing but tiny dorado. Last tournament when Francisco weighed both fish they were both taken and filled to be cooked for the crowd, so this time they only weighed in one and we ate the other yesterday!

Dan was the scale closed at 3pm like the sign up meeting stated? Francisco says it stayed open until about 5pm as he kept phoning me in frustration. Why?? Also why were there much less than 80 boats present for the 7am gunshot start?

I had a meeting with my captains last evening regarding our particular operations and how we're coordinating things for our busy season this summer. That went well until the subject changed to the tournament. They are miffed that foreigners were allowed to participate and win because our tax money is supporting this event. They also think that this series of tournaments is being put on to take our attention off the NOM 029. That would actually make sense to divert all our attention foreigner and mexicano alike. Other comments were about officials (who will remain nameless) that participated in the tourney who were seen poaching almost 100 little teeney dorado while out of the water.

Any thoughts on this?

flyfishinPam - 6-25-2007 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
With the ramp closed, where did all the entrants whose boats weren't already in the water launch?

from the beach just north of the Hotel La Pinta property or at Puerto Escondido.

backninedan - 6-25-2007 at 03:01 PM

Pam, the scales stayed open til 5, with prizes awarded at 6. I have no idea why. We counted roughly 30 boats that weighed fish. But we saw many more that just headed for the beach or into the marina. I didn,t see a final tally of how many boats actually fished the tourny. It seemed like all had a good time and I'm glad a pangero won the panga.

Don Alley - 6-25-2007 at 03:06 PM

I fished the last one, and our boat split third place money. I didn't fish this one.

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
...They are miffed that foreigners were allowed to participate and win because our tax money is supporting this event. They also think that this series of tournaments is being put on to take our attention off the NOM 029. That would actually make sense to divert all our attention foreigner and mexicano alike...
Any thoughts on this?

Well, I have facturas showing I've spent over 30,000 pesos this year in taxes. So I won't claim freeloader status.:biggrin:

These tournaments predate the recent Nom 029 controversy; it's only because of some mixed up planning and conflicts that Loreto did not have one last year like other areas. And at the last Loreto tourney, the tournament jefe used the opportunity to harshly criticise the new NOM 029 regulations. But I do believe that there is the element of a diversion in these tournamnets. Mexico's fisheries do not need more publicity and more incentives to fish, they need managers who will make good decisions and then enforce them. The tournament could be just another gimmick, along with toothless "biosphere" declarations and wristbands, to avoid dealing with real problems.

I'm not a big tournament kind of guy; the previous Loreto Governor's Cup was my first competitive derby in decades of fishing. But it was fun, and best of all it was so inclusive. Anyone could participate, not just people with a boat and cash for an entrance fee.

And...one of our friends mentioned a possible tournament in the works, sponsored by the Incredible, Sustainable and Truly Authentic Mexican/Canadian/American Villages of Loredo Bay! Gag Me with a spoon!:barf:

backninedan - 6-25-2007 at 05:27 PM

A loreto bay tourny may backfire on them. It will gather lots of folks together that hate the place.

First place: A fine pango made from loreto ghetto adobe.
Second place: A free sales seminar
Third place: A bottle of whatever the hell it is in those little beehive bottles