BajaNomad

Just Back from Shell Island, San Felipe!

David K - 6-24-2007 at 07:31 PM

Hola Gang,

Baja Angel and I took a 'spur-of-the-moment' weekender down south...

In a nutshell:

Left San Diego area about 8 pm, crossed at Tecate. El Hongo toll was $US4.80, La Rumorosa was $1.35, The Mexicali bypass $4.50.

Some roadwork on Mex 5, with detours between the bipass and La Puerta and again for the new 4 lane road that begins 6 miles north of San Felipe.

Got to our spot on Shell Island about 1:30 am and had a GLORIOUS day Saturday and today, until we left about 10:30 am this morning.

Saturday PM, we dropped by Bahia Santa Maria to see if any amigos were there, then went to Marina's Cafe in Ejido Delicias for and early dinner... YUM! Then back to camp for a beautiful night...

Mexicali/ Calexico (west) wait was 1 hour and a few minutes starting at 2:15pm... The thermometer read 122 degrees in line! It was 87 in San Felipe!!

I took a few photos and will post them in a day or two...

Adios for now!

UPDATE 9:43pm Monday: New photos ready to post... first one here...

[Edited on 6-26-2007 by David K]

607 006r.JPG - 35kB

bajalou - 6-24-2007 at 07:35 PM

It was a pretty nice weekend here in San Felipe also. A lot cooler than Mexicali.

Mexitron - 6-25-2007 at 05:45 AM

I'm jealous David--being able to pack up and go on a weekender to Baja! Glad you had a good time!

BajaWarrior - 6-25-2007 at 06:18 AM

We just missed you then, we cruised the island end to end on Friday afternoon. Got home last night, 45 minute wait around 5 p.m. New Mexicali.

David K - 6-25-2007 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
We just missed you then, we cruised the island end to end on Friday afternoon. Got home last night, 45 minute wait around 5 p.m. New Mexicali.

Yup, we were there from 1:30 am Saturday to 10:30 am Sunday... Drove in front of Baja Rob's (and your place) Saturday afternoon including through that giant sea wall construction hole, as the tide was to high to go around. Popped off the beach at Nuevo Mazatlan and had dinner at Marina's, as Chelo's was closed.

On Shell Island we had more visitors driving the beach then if it was a holiday weekend! Rhinos and quads mostly.

David K - 6-25-2007 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
I'm jealous David--being able to pack up and go on a weekender to Baja! Glad you had a good time!

Who's idea was it to move to Texas?:wow: I know, I know... rubbing it in isn't cool!:lol:

I will keep going until it isn't there... or I'm not here anymore!

Mexitron has had some great Baja experiences, including climbing Matomi Mountain!: http://vivabaja.com/mexitron

edm1 - 6-25-2007 at 03:05 PM

DK, you drove to Baja at night?

I thought one of the Baja commandments is Do shalt not drive at night. Or, is that only for people who can't walk on water?

BajaWarrior - 6-25-2007 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1

I thought one of the Baja commandments is Do shalt not drive at night. Or, is that only for people who can't walk on water?

Must have been an "emergency trip", that makes it ok.

The latest we have ever pulled into our place was around midnight, I get too sleepy that late at night.

David, our house is only two houses south from where you had to stop on the beach because of the construction.

Did you see the plume of smoke and fire south of you on Saturday night? There was a terrible fire in Campo Delicias, about three miles south of us around 7 p.m.

Lost were two homes, (one under construction) two travel trailers, two boats, two trucks, two buggys, two Suzuki Samurai's, two garages, (lots of two's I know) several generators, tools, lots of propane bottles as well that were exploding. The Volunteer fire dept. could not do anything about these losses as they were fully engulfed by the time they arrived, but did manage to save the nearby homes, only feet away from the flames. They did a great job!

A fireman said a boat between the two houses caught fire first somehow, an electrical short of some kind.

Thankfully, no one was hurt.

[Edited on 6-25-2007 by BajaWarrior]

bancoduo - 6-25-2007 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

On Shell Island we had more visitors driving the beach then if it was a holiday weekend! Rhinos and quads mostly.
I WONDER WHY.:no:

viabaja - 6-25-2007 at 06:53 PM

Dave, you guys are hard core campers!!!! Great pix.

However, Sanibel Island in SW Florida is a real "swamp" where we are currently visiting family! 90-95 or higher deg with 90% humidity and the wonderful bugs!!! There is no camping on these beaches!

C

David K - 6-25-2007 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:
Originally posted by edm1

Must have been an "emergency trip", that makes it ok.

The latest we have ever pulled into our place was around midnight, I get too sleepy that late at night.

David, our house is only two houses south from where you had to stop on the beach because of the construction.

Did you see the plume of smoke and fire south of you on Saturday night? There was a terrible fire in Campo Delicias, about three miles south of us around 7 p.m.

Lost were two homes, (one under construction) two travel trailers, two boats, two trucks, two buggys, two Suzuki Samurai's, two garages, (lots of two's I know) several generators, tools, lots of propane bottles as well that were exploding. The Volunteer fire dept. could not do anything about these losses as they were fully engulfed by the time they arrived, but did manage to save the nearby homes, only feet away from the flames. They did a great job!

A fireman said a boat between the two houses caught fire first somehow, an electrical short of some kind.

Thankfully, no one was hurt.

[Edited on 6-25-2007 by BajaWarrior]

YES, we saw the smoke after we got back to camp... and I took photos... you could see the flames (6 miles away)!

By the way, the no driving at night rule generally applies to the area south of El Rosario on Hwy. 1 because of range cattle and burros... also missing the wonderful views south of El Rosario.

David K - 6-25-2007 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by viabaja
Dave, you guys are hard core campers!!!! Great pix.

However, Sanibel Island in SW Florida is a real "swamp" where we are currently visiting family! 90-95 or higher deg with 90% humidity and the wonderful bugs!!! There is no camping on these beaches!

C

The pix are still to come from last weekend... stand by!

David K - 6-25-2007 at 09:45 PM

Shell Island 6-23-07... south

607 001r.JPG - 42kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 09:46 PM

north (from our camp)...

607 002r.JPG - 33kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 09:48 PM

Our view from under the quick & easy Baja tarp (4 buckets filled with sand, 5 PVC poles and 5 bungees, one tarp)...

607 005r.JPG - 41kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 09:51 PM

another look north... I played with the photo shop auto fix on some of these...

607 008r.JPG - 36kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 09:52 PM

Not sure if I like it modified or not...

607 009r.JPG - 41kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 09:53 PM

Looking east, our camp set up for the two nights...

607 010r.JPG - 27kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 09:55 PM

Because it was a quarter moon, the tide wasn't high enough to fill Laguna Percebu (as it does around full or new moons)...

607 011r.JPG - 32kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 10:01 PM

New rubber up front! At 33,000 miles (in one year) and travel over the road to Mision Santa Maria last month, I discovered (Friday) a cut in the tread with a bit of steel poking through in my Cooper Discoverer SST front right tire. No air was lost, but it wasn't a good idea to do a trip to Baja with less than perfect tires.

So, I replaced the front two Friday afternoon, on my way to pick up Baja Angel... I went for TOYO Open Country... very quiet compared to the aggressive Cooper STTs! They floated much better on the sand... only lowered to 20 PSI (The STTs needed to go down to 10 PSI).

[Edited on 10-18-2007 by David K]

607 015r.JPG - 44kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 10:04 PM

The Coopers on the back have more tread to use up still, so I will replace them soon...

607 016r.JPG - 41kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 10:06 PM

Spotted an osprey on this cardon as we drove back to Shell Island after dinner at Marina's (at Km. 35 and a block west of Chelo's, which was closed)...

607 019r.JPG - 32kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 10:07 PM

Telephoto...

607 018rr.JPG - 16kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 10:09 PM

Fire at Ejido Delicias!!! According to Baja Warrior (above) this happened shortly after we left there and saw it from our camp... telephoto...

607 020rr.JPG - 24kB

David K - 6-25-2007 at 10:11 PM

Sunday morning... a final photo before we headed home... looking south with the telephoto showing the homes at Bahia Santa Maria...

607 025r.JPG - 42kB

DianaT - 6-25-2007 at 10:21 PM

Like the pictures---what a great way to do it--last minute.

Thanks for sharing the trip

Diane:yes:

BAJACAT - 6-25-2007 at 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

Who's idea was it to move to Texas?:wow: I know, I know... rubbing it in isn't cool!:lol:

I will keep going until it isn't there... or I'm not here anymore!

Mexitron has had some great Baja experiences, including climbing Matomi Mountain!: http://vivabaja.com/mexitron
Talking about rubbing it in, David drove past me when I was working near his house and just wave at me with a smile.:mad:(just kidding amigo).
Thanks for the stickers and the gueras,I felt welcome in your house, thanks again.

ps. Save me some morenas&gueras...:bounce:

David K - 6-25-2007 at 10:48 PM

No worries BAJACAT!

Yes, I loaded up my truck and headed south last Friday... and there you were moving stuff around with your Cat... So I had to honk so you could see I was loaded up for Baja!

If you want more Morena or Guera (Cerveza Tijuana) you should come back soon! Otherwise Costco in Vista or Chula Vista has it... also more places, see the web site http://www.tjbeer.com

Ha I will be nocking at your door soon

BAJACAT - 6-25-2007 at 11:10 PM

Im glad you had a good & safe trip my friend.

Bob H - 6-26-2007 at 10:06 AM

Wow, that's the greatest number of tire tracks I've ever seen on Shell Island. Must have had a load of vehicles out there that weekend.

Glad to hear you two had such a great spur of the moment adventure in Baja Norte!

Bob H

PS: Counting the days till spending the entire month of October in Baja Sur!

bob publish your itinery

capt. mike - 6-26-2007 at 12:49 PM

and we'll try and hook up with you and Audry, i plan a lot of oct time. weekends tho. well, maybe wrap a week too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Wow, that's the greatest number of tire tracks I've ever seen on Shell Island. Must have had a load of vehicles out there that weekend.

Glad to hear you two had such a great spur of the moment adventure in Baja Norte!

Bob H

PS: Counting the days till spending the entire month of October in Baja Sur!

Taco de Baja - 6-26-2007 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

x2
Looks like a freeway :(

viabaja - 6-29-2007 at 07:26 PM

Where to set up a camp site on Sanibel Island. FL.?

Bring your OFF spray for the "noseeums" Everything that flies bites!

Lots of shells though!! This is truly Shell Island.

http://www.viabaja.com/sanibel.JPG

[Edited on 6-30-2007 by viabaja]

[Edited on 6-30-2007 by viabaja]

805gregg - 6-30-2007 at 09:39 AM

Great pictures as usuall, what camera are you using?

David K - 6-30-2007 at 09:50 AM

Me? I have a Nikon Coolpix S6 and an Olympus D-340R

soaz - 7-1-2007 at 03:14 PM

David K,
Great pics! I'm headed near that way on Tuesday and I was thinking about heading over to the pacific side because of the heat and humidity on the gulf side near san felipe. How was it? Too hot? Did you head down towards puerticitos? I' wondering if it may be more tolerable down there.
Thanks!!:spingrin:

David K - 7-1-2007 at 05:05 PM

Well, as I reported it was in the high 80's, and dry ... ie. perfect beach weather! We were almost half way to Puertecitos from San Felipe... No further south than Ejido Delicias (Km. 35) when we had dinner at Marina's Restaurant (a block west of Chelo's Restaurant along the highway)...

Nuevo Mazatlan at Km. 32 has a forest of shade trees to camp under, as well...

soaz - 7-1-2007 at 08:24 PM

Cool, thats what I thought i read. I typed in san felipe and weather on google and a site was telling me it was 109 and 50% humidity which would be miserable!
Thanks for the report!

BajaWarrior - 7-2-2007 at 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soaz
Cool, thats what I thought i read. I typed in san felipe and weather on google and a site was telling me it was 109 and 50% humidity which would be miserable!
Thanks for the report!

Soaz,

check out www.sanfelipe.com.mx and click on weather. Pretty accurate information. Tides too. I have a home just two miles south of Shell Island.

bancoduo - 7-2-2007 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soaz
Thanks for the report!
DK is never wrong:lol::lol::lol:.The low temp. has to do with glaciers melting on the San Pedro Martir mountain range do to global warming.:o

[Edited on 7-2-2007 by bancoduo]

bajalou - 7-2-2007 at 04:50 PM

The Net reporting mid 90"s. Beaches should be a few deg cooler. My place 4:48p 95 deg. I'm inland 5 miles from beaches so a little less humid but a few deg hotter.

David K - 7-2-2007 at 11:33 PM

soaz, I can most certainly be wrong... However, I am telling you what my thermometer and body said with what I posted above... Also, there is more than one San Felipe in Mexico... Trust Nomads more than google weather perhaps?

bajalou - 7-3-2007 at 07:04 AM

7am today - fogged it at my place and I'm not near the beach.

juanroberts - 7-5-2007 at 09:46 AM

My experience is that San Felipe on the beach in mid-summer is at 85 degrees fahrenheit, plus or minus a couple of degrees. The temperature stays the same day and night, with the ocean breeze helping in the day, and the lack of sun helping at night. It is ok for messing around a little, but it does get to me if I am doing serious outside work.

Is Shell Island the peninsula that forms Laguna Percebu?

[Edited on 7-5-2007 by juanroberts]

bancoduo - 7-5-2007 at 10:37 AM

Predicted high today 102:rolleyes:

David K - 7-5-2007 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juanroberts

Is Shell Island the peninsula that forms Laguna Percebu?

[Edited on 7-5-2007 by juanroberts]

Yes, the north half...

On Capt. Mike's GIANT Baja wall map, it is shown as a complete island... On the topos it shows the two lagoons on both ends and salt marsh seperating the rest of it from Baja.

During extreme full tides, water does surround it, so 'island' is not just a fantasy name... However, many 'islands' are connected to the mainland by narrow strips of land (Coronado Island & North Island, Shelter Island, Harbor Island, Balboa Island...)

From above (looking south, just east of Percebu)

From space...

edm1 - 7-9-2007 at 07:09 AM

What's the tide shift times (rise/ebb) in Shell "Island" these days?

David K - 7-9-2007 at 08:05 AM

Go to the San Felipe web site for this month's tide chart... http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx

Here's the page: http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/weather/tide_calendars.html

I can tell you as a general rule, during full and new moons, the tides are the greatest... and high tide will be at or a little after noon and midnight. Low tide will be at sunrise and sunset.

During a quarter moon, the high tides are near sun rise and sun set, and the low tides are near noon and midnight.

Photo of low tide, in the morning (last February). High tide will come all the way up to where you see the smooth, wet sand meet the dry sand, near where I was standing, as it had just a few hours earlier!...

[Edited on 7-9-2007 by David K]

207 104r.JPG - 37kB

Hook - 7-9-2007 at 09:00 AM

Quote:

I can tell you as a general rule, during full and new moons, the tides are the greatest... and high tide will be at or a little after noon and midnight. Low tide will be at sunrise and sunset.

During a quarter moon, the high tides are near sun rise and sun set, and the low tides are near noon and midnight.

Sorry, David, but the tides are in no way dependent on the rising and setting of the sun at any time of the year. They are dependent upon the positioning of the moon in relation to the earth. And that varies throughout the year, from day to day.

High and low tide can and do occur at ANY time of the day or night, even in areas that experience only one high and one low per 24 hour period.

I think what you have observed is simply coincidental at the times you have visited Shell Island.

[Edited on 7-9-2007 by Hook]

surfer jim - 7-10-2007 at 08:56 PM

Tides ARE dependent on the sun's position...44% as compared to the moon's 56%.....they both work together....:o

Hook - 7-11-2007 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Tides ARE dependent on the sun's position...44% as compared to the moon's 56%.....they both work together....:o

i know that. I chose to edit out the sun discussion from my original post as being irrelevant.

While the sun and moon exert gravitational influences, there is no correlation between the rising and setting of the sun and the rising and setting of the tides that I have ever learned.

Look at David's tide table throught the years. High tides at 3pm, low tides at midnite. Every conceiveable permutation.

Skipjack Joe - 7-16-2007 at 03:04 PM

Those fishing from San Lucas Cove know to leave their tin boats at the shoreline palapas in the winter and about a hundred yards offshore near the channel in the summertime.

The same high tide occurs at 8-10 AM in the winter time and around midnight in the summer time.

You can always tell a newcomer as he's left stranded on shore when everyone else is launching at morning's first light in the summer.

David K - 7-30-2007 at 12:31 AM

Of Interest, at El Requeson (Bahia Concepcion) the tide stayed high almost all day the two days we were there (between a quarter and full moon). Went out as the sun set and came back up mid morning, low all night! That's one high and one low per 24 hours... I would like to know how the upper gulf doubles that... and does the the water 'buldge' in the middle of the gulf when it is low tide on the shore?