BajaNomad

Pedestrians getting fleeced at Sentri line

lefty - 6-27-2007 at 01:59 AM

guys, i don't know how many of you ever walk back into the USA from TJ but...

i am hearing story after story about a group of 10 cops who stand there and stop and search american people who are about to re-enter the USA, with no reason whatever except to take your money.

all your pockets will be emptied out. if you look nervous, or if they find any aspirin or whatever, or you look a little tired or drunk, it is guaranteed you are going to lose a lot of your cash. they may take money even if none of the above is true.

this is just a heads-up for you, because it appears there will be no end to this problem.

The Gull - 6-27-2007 at 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lefty
guys, i don't know how many of you ever walk back into the USA from TJ but...

i am hearing story after story about a group of 10 cops who stand there and stop and search american people who are about to re-enter the USA, with no reason whatever except to take your money.

all your pockets will be emptied out. if you look nervous, or if they find any aspirin or whatever, or you look a little tired or drunk, it is guaranteed you are going to lose a lot of your cash. they may take money even if none of the above is true.

this is just a heads-up for you, because it appears there will be no end to this problem.

Nice hit piece.

Where did you get this story? Did this happen to you? When? Where ? Since this is your first post, you might want to check your sources and share more than unsupported claims.

Was it actually 10 cops or nine?

Because of the certainty of your warning, I will only walk across sober, alert, penniless and most assuredly not be carrying aspirin. Is the endless problem really without end?

What is unique about the Sentri line? If an American doesn't stand in the Sentri line, does he not get fleeced?

[Edited on 6-27-2007 by The Gull]

surfer jim - 6-27-2007 at 06:25 AM

Welcome to NOMADS Lefty.....

(look at it this way....it can only get better from here on.....);)

burnrope - 6-27-2007 at 07:14 AM

I'm usually in such a condition that I end crawling across and slip right by those 10 cops.

bajamigo - 6-27-2007 at 08:57 AM

Is there a "SENTRI line" for pedestrians?

oldhippie - 6-27-2007 at 09:12 AM

I think lefty is referring to the common taxi drop off point that is in fact in the traffic sentri line at the last turn to the right to exit the line before you hit the border.

Anyway, he's correct. It is a place where TJ cops gather and mess around with Americans. Immediately pull out a couple of bucks in plain view and wave it around so that others see it's obvious you're getting fleeced. That's what a buddy did when he and I were getting the shakedown there and it worked. The cops immediately let us go on our random walk to gringolandia. ((((hic))))

fdt - 6-27-2007 at 10:08 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

lefty - 6-28-2007 at 07:30 PM

lol you guys are hilarious :yes:

anyway good luck to you and be careful if you want to walk back.

DENNIS - 6-28-2007 at 07:32 PM

Thats awright Lefty ...........

We're a tough audience. Stick around. It's fun.

David K - 6-28-2007 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

Ferna... check u2u:light:

David K - 6-28-2007 at 07:40 PM

How long do you think the tourism industry (and Jorge Hank) would stand for this, if true... ?

DENNIS - 6-28-2007 at 07:50 PM

Jorge is probably standing there with the cops on his day off.

fdt - 6-28-2007 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

Ferna... check u2u:light:

Got it

fdt - 6-28-2007 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How long do you think the tourism industry (and Jorge Hank) would stand for this, if true... ?

Jorge doesn't work here anymore

The Gull - 6-29-2007 at 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lefty
lol you guys are hilarious :yes:

anyway good luck to you and be careful if you want to walk back.

Sounds cool.

It is likely that most Nomads are old enough to have a driver's license and no longer need to borrow their parent's car.

Packoderm - 6-29-2007 at 07:02 AM

"Immediately pull out a couple of bucks in plain view and wave it around so that others see it's obvious you're getting fleeced."

That's a brilliant idea.

BajaNomad - 6-29-2007 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
"Immediately pull out a couple of bucks in plain view and wave it around so that others see it's obvious you're getting fleeced."

That's a brilliant idea.
I believe part of what's going on here is what Nomad's that attended the last event in Tijuana put on by Baja Cactus witnessed at the security center.

That is, they are looking through those security cameras in Tijuana and finding (and firing) police officers taking bribes... and what they're looking for - or at least what they pointed out in an example (real and recorded) scene they share with us - is they're looking for the officer handling/accepting/etc the cash.

I'm guessing the cash-out system scared the bejeezus out of the officers if they were in camera range - and there are cameras at the border crossing.

:o

--
Doug

Hook - 6-29-2007 at 09:53 AM

I've got twenty dollars (all singles) for someone willing to be our mole in an undercover investigation into this purported practice.

Must be able to provide your own ostentatious bling, designer clothes, Oakley sunglasses. etc.

woody with a view - 6-29-2007 at 11:23 AM

Hook

sounds fun. won't be the first time i ever lost money.....details?

Hook - 6-29-2007 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Hook

sounds fun. won't be the first time i ever lost money.....details?

Well, I'm willing to bankroll someone willing to walk the walk and see if they get shook down by the police for their money. I think it might be important to look rather well-off, hence the accoutrements I suggested. Maybe even act slightly drunk.

20 bucks for a flash wad and dinner in SD, at your convenience (but my place of choice) if you end up losing the flash wad to The Hombre.

Why are Mexican officials checking people ENTERING the US? Does seem kinda fishy to me.

DENNIS - 6-29-2007 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Why are Mexican officials checking people ENTERING the US?

Maybe 'cause they can.

woody with a view - 6-29-2007 at 11:56 AM

i'm ready to go....

but to add some realism, maybe a couple (okay, a few) tj beers first:light:.