BajaNomad

Bad News for Pt. Chavato / Mulége

Russ - 7-5-2007 at 04:21 PM

8 of these just showed up here this afternoon and by 5 PM they all were setting there nets. From the corner of Playa Santa Inez across the mouth of Concepcion.

seiner-1.jpg - 45kB

Barry A. - 7-5-2007 at 04:28 PM

Now THERE'S a problem worthy of GREENPEACE--------

All surface "rams" should converge on the mouth of Conception Bay, and "do their thing". :fire:

Hook - 7-5-2007 at 04:32 PM

Dont worry, Russ. I'm sure they're only fishing for shark under the new regulations. :lol:

Russ - 7-5-2007 at 04:40 PM

I'm sure you're right Hook:biggrin: But they sure look a lot different than the one parked out here with 4 pongas hooked to it last week. Jeeze when will it stop? And why aren't the local fishermen doing something. There is a ton of bait working off the house right now but after tonight I'll bet ..... No bet, there just won't be ANY.:fire:

[Edited on 7-5-2007 by Russ]

roundtuit - 7-5-2007 at 05:02 PM

Russ are these long liners ??

mtgoat666 - 7-5-2007 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roundtuit
Russ are these long liners ??

the boat in the pic is a purse seine

Russ - 7-5-2007 at 05:33 PM

Yep, seiners. Two more came in since last post.

3-Seinners.jpg - 15kB

bajajudy - 7-5-2007 at 06:12 PM

get in touch with these people

http://www.tailhunter-international.com/jonathansblog.htm

Russ - 7-5-2007 at 06:49 PM

Grover, Good work on the photo! Judy, Looks like a sports fishing outfit. Didn't see where they have an interest in a fleet of seiners taking all the fish in this area. I'll look again though. As weird as it may seem. I don't see a one of them right now. Hope they didn't go inside Concepcion. I did see them make a couple of sets. Maybe all they got were the pinheads that really mess their nets. Hope they don't return.

msteve1014 - 7-5-2007 at 07:03 PM

Hey Russ, what has the fishing been like lately? We are on the way down in a few days, but may head for the pacific with the reports I have seen. Thanks, Mike

Russ - 7-5-2007 at 07:11 PM

3 more just came in. This is starting to sound like a joke but that makes 11 boats.
Mike, Dorado have been spotty but most seem to be getting fish. Marlin too. So we've had worse years for sure. If the water ever warms up the fishing should get hot. The cool water makes it nice as far as the temp. goes. 83º now.

flyfishinPam - 7-5-2007 at 07:39 PM

Mike send these images and dscriptions to these folks:

http://www.seawatch.org

Russ - 7-5-2007 at 08:14 PM

Thanks Pam. I have sent Seawatch reports before and although I never got a response I felt a little better letting them know what's happening here. I just sent another one about todays happenings.

Pescador - 7-6-2007 at 06:32 AM

Russ, one of the subtle, fun things to do is come up real close to these boats and look them over carefully, then start taking pictures. If they are doing anything that is of questionable legality, they seem to get really nervous when the camera starts flashing.

bajajudy - 7-6-2007 at 06:48 AM

Sorry you are right. There was a post about a group in La Paz that are keeping watch over the Sea of Cortez. Maybe someone else has their website. I cannot find it in searching.

Pam's link is to them

[Edited on 7-6-2007 by bajajudy]

Russ - 7-6-2007 at 11:00 AM

Thanks Jim. I didn't have to Launch to photograph them. They right up on shore this morning.

purse-Seiner7607.jpg - 43kB

Hook - 7-6-2007 at 11:18 AM

I cant imagine what they would be doing in that close unless they are shrimping. But I believe it's out of season.

What would those boats do with baitfish..........cat food market? No tuna pens in the Sea, are there?

Don Alley - 7-6-2007 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I cant imagine what they would be doing in that close unless they are shrimping. But I believe it's out of season.

What would those boats do with baitfish..........cat food market? No tuna pens in the Sea, are there?

I've seen seiners outside Loreto, was told they were probably targeting sharks, and we fished around the area and did see them pull in a couple. Pretty inefficient way to fish for sharks, though. Other possibilities are a reduction fishery: any kind of fish, bait, barrilete, mackerel, whatever, to be processed into fishmeal, fertilizer, whatever.

Incidently (?) there was a recent report on Bloodydecks.com claiming many turtles sighted, "literally dozens everyday," in the Mulege area.

tripledigitken - 7-6-2007 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I've seen seiners outside Loreto, was told they were probably targeting sharks, and we fished around the area and did see them pull in a couple. Pretty inefficient way to fish for sharks, though. Other possibilities are a reduction fishery: any kind of fish, bait, barrilete, mackerel, whatever, to be processed into fishmeal, fertilizer, whatever.

Incidently (?) there was a recent report on Bloodydecks.com claiming many turtles sighted, "literally dozens everyday," in the Mulege area.

We saw 2 turtles in very choppy ocean conditions on Monday out of Mulege. Also Manta Rays, and Striped Marlin.

One thing we didn't see was any fish on the end of our line.

Dorado's, the few that were caught the two days we were there were out beyond 20 miles. We talked to one guy that went out 35 miles with no results.

Ken

Cypress - 7-6-2007 at 02:23 PM

You think those commercial boats/crews can give a damn about anything other than their share of the catch?:O Would you? It's a dollar game.:D

Russ - 7-6-2007 at 02:34 PM

There were massive bait balls yesterday. NONE now! Definately not shrimppers

Frank - 7-8-2007 at 11:28 PM

This might interest some of you....
http://www.marlinnut.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/3013.html

Bob and Susan - 7-9-2007 at 05:33 AM

russ

they come over from guymas every summer...but NOT 11 at a time

usually they spread out

they are not allowed to fish in the bay but we've seen them here when it get windy

805gregg - 7-9-2007 at 07:14 AM

Those boats are small in 73 we saw Jap factory ships in the sea of cortez that could put those trawlers on deck as deck cargo.

Russ - 7-9-2007 at 08:32 AM

Bob and Susan, The final count for the first day was 18. I missed a few. Still no bait balls and getting bait has been tough. One more just came in and is making a set as I type. Slim pickings. Maybe he'll leave. Some neighbors down the beach went by really close with cameras two days ago and they left in a hurry. Coingcodink or is something amiss? There are a few people writing letters and sending photos maybe maybe one will hit a nerve. They didn't make the set. Only stopped and looked around now heading towards Mulége.

Bob and Susan - 7-9-2007 at 08:59 AM

we'll "cut-um-off at the pass";)

Russ - 7-9-2007 at 09:52 AM

Thanks! Damn the torpidos full screw'ms ahead!

Hook - 7-9-2007 at 10:28 AM

Read the Mulege report on Mexfish and it appears that the dorado season has made a dramatic improvement. 20 miles off the lighthouse is not too bad.

Russ - 7-10-2007 at 06:43 AM

Sorry to bring this back to the top but I just downloaded a free program to edit images on a Mac ( http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11375/imagewell ) If the image loads and you like the size AND you have a Mac go to the above address.
I like it. All you have to do is drag and drop your photo and use the slider to adjust the quality. After that I drug the photo to the desk top and then put it here. Hope this helps some one.

[Edited on 7-10-2007 by Russ]

[Edited on 7-10-2007 by Russ]

100_0161.jpg - 47kB