BajaNomad

Fishing licence

Bajagypsy - 7-8-2007 at 08:54 AM

I have done some searching on this site, and just want to make sure that I understand all the information correctly. If you are fishing in a boat you must have a fishing licence. If you are fishing off shore you do not need a fishing licence. If you spear fish you don't need a fishing licence. Please if I mis understood this information, let me know. We are not in the habbit of poaching!!!!

Another question that I have is can you get a fishing licence at the TJ border when you are getting your FMT?

Alan - 7-8-2007 at 09:19 AM

The Insurance offices at the San Ysidro exit sells fishing licenses and boat permits. If you have any fishing gear on the boat, fishing or not, EVERYBODY onboard must possess a license, fishing or not. A license is not required for surf fishing. I don't know about spear-fishing as I have had no need to research that. I always prefer to remain at the top of the food-chain.

shari - 7-8-2007 at 09:44 AM

you need a special permit for your spear gun...I think available at the same fishing license places...a bit more money. good luck

Bob and Susan - 7-8-2007 at 10:04 AM

spear fish and spear-gun
apples and oranges

ONLY a fishing license required for a spear

the spear-gun is a different animal

Bajagypsy - 7-8-2007 at 10:49 AM

I believe you need a permit if you are spearfishing from a boat with a spear gun, but if you snorkle off shore to spear fish you do not.

shari - 7-9-2007 at 06:48 PM

Juan begs to differ gypsy...says your speargun needs a permit...something about this being a restricted Zone because of the biosphere reserve or something....??

Bob and Susan - 7-9-2007 at 06:50 PM

remember shari...speargun and spear are two different things

edit: ask jaun

[Edited on 7-10-2007 by Bob and Susan]

shari - 7-9-2007 at 06:59 PM

uh yeah...so....is a spear like a hawain sling? which are totally illegal and Juan says spear guns need permits any way you use them...pistolas need a special permiso.

Bajagypsy - 7-28-2007 at 11:18 AM

Goodness, we have been bad people, as we didn't think you needed a permit for a spear gun,:o:o tell Juan thanx, and we will be getting a permit with our tourist visa's this next trip.

Shari can you ask Juan if it is a different or special permit other than just a regular fishing permit?

[Edited on 7-28-2007 by Bajagypsy]

shari - 7-28-2007 at 12:02 PM

As well as your personal fishing license you need a special permit for the spear gun...called pistola or harpon...good luck. Wait till ya see the sheepshead teeth necklace I made! Hope you guys spear some big ones to make another one.

KAYAK

Sunman - 9-17-2007 at 04:00 PM

So I assume fishing from a kayak = license required?

Bob and Susan - 9-17-2007 at 04:31 PM

to be perfectly legal...yes

Don Alley - 9-17-2007 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman

Yes, you need a license. And you need a boat license for the kayak, that's the law. Also, many license agents, in Mexico and the USA, will no longer sell you a license for a kayak unless you have documentation (title and/or registration) for your kayak. One exception is the Conapesca office in San Diego; they'll sell you the kayak license without documents. (That was the situation as of last March).

Sunman - 9-17-2007 at 09:06 PM

Wow, had no idea. Hardly worth the hassle to drag a plastic sit on top along then. Thanks much folks. Outstanding board here!

Taco de Baja - 9-18-2007 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:

Yes, you need a license. And you need a boat license for the kayak, that's the law. Also, many license agents, in Mexico and the USA, will no longer sell you a license for a kayak unless you have documentation (title and/or registration) for your kayak. One exception is the Conapesca office in San Diego; they'll sell you the kayak license without documents. (That was the situation as of last March).

Title and registration for a kayak?
What's next title and registration for a surfboard?

Did a little research and I guess it varies by state, but CA seems to only require title and registration for motorized, and sail boats exceeding 8 feet. Link. So technically, title and registration are not even issued for kayaks in California....

Don Alley - 9-18-2007 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Title and registration for a kayak?
What's next title and registration for a surfboard?

Well, if you fish off a surfboard (and some do) the profepa guys can ticket you for fishing without a license for your "vessel."

People with small inflatables have had the same problem. Loreto would not issue a license, and neither would Fisherman's Landing in Point Loma. Only the Conapesca office. Go figure.

I thought of getting mine registered here in Montana, but Montana wants me to take the kayak in to Fish and Game and get a hull number engraved on it, and I left it in baja. I was going to tell them it's a motorized kayak.:biggrin:

Blasphemy!!

Yakfishing - 9-18-2007 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Hardly worth the hassle to drag a plastic sit on top along then.

There's nothing like getting towed around on tupperware by a big fish. Great fun.

I get my fishing license and boat permit for my kayak every year from Conpesca in SD. I just list the kayak color and manufacturer. Usually takes less than a week by regular mail.

Headed to BOLA on Friday with my kayaks and fishing gear. Let's pray to the fish gods that I get a "Sea of Cortez Sleigh Ride"

Joe O.

Sunman - 9-18-2007 at 11:19 AM

Right on Yak! I'll look into it, thanks again.

As pretty as these??

bajamigo - 9-18-2007 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
As well as your personal fishing license you need a special permit for the spear gun...called pistola or harpon...good luck. Wait till ya see the sheepshead teeth necklace I made! Hope you guys spear some big ones to make another one.

Sheepshead.jpg - 50kB

boe4fun - 9-20-2007 at 11:01 AM

If you check with the Vagabundos (www.vagabundos.com) they have or can get you all necessary info. They also can get you your boat permit, licenses, visas, etc. Buena Suerte.

Bob H - 9-20-2007 at 11:29 AM

If you are NOT fishing from your kayak, you do NOT need a boat permit, right?
Bob H

Don Alley - 9-20-2007 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
If you are NOT fishing from your kayak, you do NOT need a boat permit, right?
Bob H

Correct. You do not need a license for a kayak, unless you are fishing from it.

Cypress - 9-20-2007 at 01:22 PM

Everybody I asked said " Don't worry, you won't be asked for a license". They were wrong.:) If you factor in the time spent waiting for the judge(judges aren't early risers). Are judges lazy, they seem to require more sleep than most folks and only work 2 or 3 hours a day? In any case, buy your license.:tumble: