BajaNomad

North Baja Albacore

Hook - 7-9-2007 at 10:25 AM

Can't I blame the failure on China, like everything else? It was hecho en china! It had to be the gap in the hook; something I should have noticed.

Hope you were alright with the butchery I called cleaning. Stuff is delicious! We've eaten nothing but raw so far. Shelly even got out the cut roll maker!

Tataki style tonite with a garlic butter topping. Sashimi appetizer, too.

Thanks again, Jorge. If you ever need crew over the next month, let me know. I'm ready to settle up on the fuel bill, too. Call me or U2U.

Hey Roberto, is your boat the Albatross?

woody with a view - 7-9-2007 at 10:38 AM

nice fish....also, my favorite fish out there.

Roberto - 7-9-2007 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

If you're referring to the maintenance/fuel costs - YES. :lol::lol:

Otherwise, it's the Escape - a word that works in both Spanish and English.

Don Jorge, your boat is a Blackman?

[Edited on 7-9-2007 by Roberto]

Cypress - 7-9-2007 at 10:44 AM

Don Jorge, Thanks for the report.:D Keep us posted.:D

Hook - 7-9-2007 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

If you're referring to the maintenance/fuel costs - YES. :lol::lol:

Otherwise, it's the Escape - a word that works in both Spanish and English.

Don Jorge, your boat is a Blackman?

[Edited on 7-9-2007 by Roberto]

We saw what looked like a 28 Albemarle in dry storage at the Coral and were wondering if it was yours.

As far as albatross as an adjective for boats goes, we ALL own one of those..................:lol:

Hook - 7-9-2007 at 11:20 AM

Jorge, I say lets do it. High pressure building again so the weather is probably favorable. Long range marine forcast inside of SCI looks pretty much the same as when we went except for less groundswell.

With as much fish as we metered, I think we should try dragging some black/purp CD-9s or CD-11s for a bit. That worked a few years back when they just wouldnt come up.

I will leave my Cantonese Tuna Clones at home..............

Whatever happened to "what goes on in Ensenada, stays in Ensenada." :lol:

[Edited on 7-9-2007 by Hook]

Roberto - 7-9-2007 at 11:33 AM

29' Blackfin? I'm impressed - you know your boats, though we could debate the Blackman if it's one of the 26 footers :lol::lol: Then again, yours looks like it might be the 29', in which case - great choice.

Is the Blackfin diesel powered? Most FBs were powered by 454s, weren't they?

Roberto - 7-9-2007 at 01:10 PM

Hope you didn't take my comment too seriously.

Blackmans are well (or very well) built boats. I would agree with the Cortez assessment for the 26' and it certainly is a comfy boat. I have one (almost two, but they are related) problems with the boat. I don't like the way it behaves in a following sea, like the ones we get in the Pacific. It wants to broach, in my experience, and it can be a little tippy, but usually two only becomes a problem when one already is.

Have you had similar experiences?

Frank - 7-9-2007 at 03:19 PM

Im trying to hit the Hidden Bank this week. Every high spot to the North was over run by boats.

Roberto - 7-9-2007 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
I try to keep the bow up, way up, keep one hand on the throttle and the other on the wheel. I try to drive the boat over the water and not let the water drive me. They will bow steer! Sometimes though, you just gotta slow down.

I've had boats that behave that way too - last one was a Grady-White (way overblown reputation on that boat). Can have some scary moments.

You know guys, I don't go out that much recently, but something I've always wanted to do is fish out of Mag Bay in the late fall. How about a three-boat party, Don Jorge, Hook and Roberto?

We might even be able to catch a fish or two. :o

[Edited on 7-10-2007 by Roberto]

Hook - 7-9-2007 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
Im trying to hit the Hidden Bank this week. Every high spot to the North was over run by boats.

That was the spot, the day we were out.

Unfortunately, that wasn't our spot. We went south and the reports from the Hidden Bank didnt start to filter in until about noon. No time left........

woody with a view - 8-24-2007 at 12:38 PM

my buddy just came by and dropped me off a big ziplock full of fresh (yesterday) albacore all cleaned and ready for the BBQ!!!!!!:tumble::spingrin::yes::bounce:

life is good!!!

[Edited on 8-24-2007 by woody in ob]

Hook - 8-24-2007 at 01:58 PM

Woody, here's a cooking method for this that I have been using that is wonderful.

Do a poach/light sautee in some butter, fresh chopped garlic and sweet vermouth. Use maybe 2-3 ounces of vermouth. Add the vermouth about a minute before the first turn of the fish and then about a minute from completion. Sprinkle lightly with Spike seasoning on each side during the cooking. Spike is available in health food stores and some supers. Cook till the barest amount of pink is still in the interior of the flesh.

woody with a view - 8-24-2007 at 02:41 PM

thanks Hook

next time, buddy! 1/2 of it is soaking in fresh squeezed orange juice in an airtight bag waiting for the BBQ tonight. the rest is vacuum sealed already in the freezer.

Roberto - 8-24-2007 at 02:42 PM

I'll add an albacore recipe.

Marinate in Yoshida Souce for at least six hours in the refrigerator. I do it in a ziploc.

Cube into failr small (.25") cubes.
Stir fry in a wok with LOTS of garlic. Just barely pink on the inside is the way I do it.

That's it.

woody with a view - 8-24-2007 at 02:44 PM

anyone else?

BornFisher - 8-24-2007 at 02:53 PM

Marinade in Italian dressing, BBQ, serve with mango salsa!

I made a HUGE mistake recently (Sun 8/12). Went out on a charter, went 11 for 11 on the FAT albies, then proceded to give away 9 fish!!! Should have kept 4 at least. Will smoke another batch tomorrow...... ahhhhhhh.......... DELICIOUS!!!!!

fishbuck - 8-24-2007 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
how does going down Wednesday PM and fishing Thursday look for you? Yes, we have been sashimi eating it too.

After diving 3 tanks at Catalina yesterday with my newly certified daughter I was wooped but the bbq last night with albacore in a peach, ginger, cilantro salsa was delicious.

Anyone nomads who live in San Diego or the Ensenada area and might want to fish with us in the future please let us know. U2U. Plenty of room to fish 3-4 people.

Roberto, yes the boat in Ensenada is a Blackman. I own a 29'Blackfin FB but she is Texas. Texas has been a rainy, humid, lightning filled nightmare for the fisherman this year.

I should have the Blackfin out here on the West coast in Ensenada in a couple of weeks and then I am moving the Blackman to Loreto or maybe up here to Dana Point for diving trips. Loreto is not exactly going off, yet, so I will defer that decision until the time comes.

Lets go fishing!

Don Jorge, I'd love to go fishing with you. I live in Costa Mesa and can fish on the weekend if you go. I'd be glad to pitch in some pasos to feed the crusaders!
My U2U won't work but you can email me Fishbuck@webtv.net
Thanks