BajaNomad

Instant Fisherman

Boshvideo - 7-12-2007 at 06:27 PM

Is it true that if I fish from the shore, I don't need a licence?

Did you ever see that commercial on TV for the Instant Fisherman collapsible fishing rod? Well I've got a couple and would like to ask what kind of things would be a good idea to have in my "tackle belt" (it comes with it). Size hooks, type of lures? Best bait?
many thanks

I'm just doing catch and release, nothing serious.

[Edited on 7-13-2007 by Boshvideo]

woody with a view - 7-12-2007 at 06:52 PM

correct.

check out this link:

http://www.infomercialscams.com/scams/instant_fisherman_comp...

Boshvideo - 7-12-2007 at 07:12 PM

Great, wish I'd seen that first. Bummer.
Doesn't seem worth taking.
I'm out money I could have spent on fish tacos and Pemex.
thanks for the help and bad news Woody.

PaulO111 - 7-12-2007 at 11:04 PM

Boy, you really took the air out of his sail.

Bob and Susan - 7-13-2007 at 05:39 AM

take it...just...

write a report when you return:light:

instantfisherman.jpg - 19kB

Don Alley - 7-13-2007 at 08:43 AM

Tried to save a little money, eh, buying cheapo stuff.

Should have done your homework and bought the real deal. One of these once held the Montana state record for rainbow trout, over 30 lbs. And from a name you can trust, Ron Popeil.

pocketfisherman_thumb.jpg - 15kB

bajadogs - 7-13-2007 at 09:07 AM

My daughter's Godzilla fishing pole has caught and released it's share of sand bass and puffer fish. How can you go wrong with GODZILLA?!

Godzilla_Pole.jpg - 26kB

Diver - 7-13-2007 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Tried to save a little money, eh, buying cheapo stuff.

Should have done your homework and bought the real deal. One of these once held the Montana state record for rainbow trout, over 30 lbs. And from a name you can trust, Ron Popeil.

Ron is a prize alright but the pocket fisherman was from Popiel Products which was Ron's dad. He formed Ronco a few years later. I remember his dad's first big seller. It was a part for you car that was guaranted to make your car meet or exceed the manufacturers standards - it did nothing but sold millions. Ron's first big seller was the no-run stockings. The ad showed his blond first or second wife walking down the courhouse stairs.

Paula - 7-13-2007 at 10:44 AM

I watched Ron chop veggies with the veg-a-matic every Saturday afternoon at the State Street Woolworth's in the Chicago Loop. I'd have bought anything he was selling, but my allowance wasn't big enough. It only covered my bus fare and a 5¢ Hershey bar.:dudette:

and now....back to fishing devices...

Cypress - 7-13-2007 at 10:54 AM

Just get a real reel, a real rod and a PVC tube to carry it in.:D Instant fisherman? Instant coffee?:biggrin:

DENNIS - 7-13-2007 at 11:05 AM

Take the Instant Fisherman and trade it for lobster.....maybe......if you're lucky.

[Edited on 7-13-2007 by DENNIS]

Boshvideo - 7-13-2007 at 11:37 AM

Actually, I work at a TV station and have run Ronco spots on the air for years. It's where I first saw the Instant Fisherman.
That being said, and with Bob & Susan's encouragement, I've dicided to take them on the trip and hope for the best.
So..... can you fishing heads tell me what type of lure, size of hook, bait works best for just dropping a line from shore.
I'm a city guy with not much fishing experience and appreciate any help you can offer.
Happy Friday and many thanks.
Bob

Diver - 7-13-2007 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
I watched Ron chop veggies with the veg-a-matic every Saturday afternoon at the State Street Woolworth's in the Chicago Loop. I'd have bought anything he was selling, but my allowance wasn't big enough. It only covered my bus fare and a 5¢ Hershey bar.:dudette:

and now....back to fishing devices...

OK, we gotta talk. My dad went to Senn with Ron and my family owned Martin Jewelers on State Street for 30 years.
And remember the lunch counter at Woolworth's ?
Any chance you remember Henry from there ?
And Braverman's Deli and the shrip shack near the pier and ... good times in the 60's and 70's.
Small world !

Paula - 7-13-2007 at 11:59 AM

Diver, I graduated from Lakeview in the 60's. Lived on Belmont between Sheridan and Broadway from 4th grade on.
The Woolworth's lunch counter? Where they put the butter on the outside of the grilled cheese with a large paintbrush, then put a big iron weight on the sandwich to cook it nice and crispy?
The real Dinty Moore's (of beef stew fame) on La Salle I think?
Buckingham Fountain?
Wrigley Field?

No place like greater Chicagoland!!!!!!!

Diver - 7-13-2007 at 12:42 PM

Flukey's hot dogs, Big Herm's, the Vienna factory, White Castle ..... oh, and the Italian beef !!
OK enough !!
Maybe it's time to go for a visit ??

Sorry for the hijack; carry on.

toneart - 7-13-2007 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
correct.

check out this link:

http://www.infomercialscams.com/scams/instant_fisherman_comp...

Boshvideo,
Why don't you shoot the messenger and take his tackle? Oh, and if he happens to be from Chicago.......BINGO! :lol:

No, no, no! Don't shoot anybody. That would just be an endorsement for the NRA. :P

Boshvideo - 7-13-2007 at 02:49 PM

Don't know if Woody has any tackle....... Woody???? Got hooks?

woody with a view - 7-13-2007 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boshvideo
Don't know if Woody has any tackle....... Woody???? Got hooks?

yeah, maybe! go to big 5 or some other sporting goods store and spend $19.95 on a pole and reel. get one with approx 10 pound test line. get a couple packs of 2/0 hooks and some (5-10) 1 ounce weights, if you lose them all tie on a rock. put the weight on the bottom and 1-2 hooks 2 feet from the weight and space the hooks 18" apart. find some clams and a deep drop off or some rocks and get fishin'.

100_1432 (Small).jpg - 30kB

Bob and Susan - 7-13-2007 at 06:41 PM

is that a spot-fin croaker ~12 pounds :spingrin:

no soup for you:lol:

Boshvideo - 7-13-2007 at 07:29 PM

Woodman...YOU DA MAN!

Frank - 7-13-2007 at 08:04 PM

Hey thats big enough to be a world record:spingrin:

Bob and Susan - 7-13-2007 at 08:19 PM

i'll bet he used his car to drag 'um to shore:spingrin:

woody with a view - 7-13-2007 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
i'll bet he used his car to drag 'um to shore:spingrin:

we got lucky! we went fishin' and ended up catchin'.........:biggrin:

edit: Bosh, what's the itinerary now? when, where, how long?

[Edited on 7-14-2007 by woody in ob]

Boshvideo - 7-14-2007 at 08:53 AM

I'm flying from LA to La Paz and renting a car. As suggested, I'd like to make a northern and southern "loop" from La Paz. The northern loop would be as far as San Ignacio (Yurts) and back. The southern loop would be Cabo and back. (more of an actual loop) I have 11 days.
I'm open to any suggestions as to: is this a good idea? How far can I cover each day on the northern route and still enjoy myself. What towns are best to stop in? What hotels in these towns?
Questions, I've got questions.
Woody, I appreciate hanging in with me and your helpful info.

[Edited on 7-14-2007 by Boshvideo]

Alan - 7-14-2007 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boshvideo
I'm flying from LA to La Paz and renting a car. As suggested, I'd like to make a northern and southern "loop" from La Paz. The northern loop would be as far as San Ignacio (Yurts) and back. The southern loop would be Cabo and back. (more of an actual loop) I have 11 days.
I'm open to any suggestions as to: is this a good idea? How far can I cover each day on the northern route and still enjoy myself. What towns are best to stop in? What hotels in these towns?
Questions, I've got questions.
Woody, I appreciate hanging in with me and your helpful info.

[Edited on 7-14-2007 by Boshvideo]

This is a whole new question. You'll get more responses if you post it as such.

Boshvideo - 7-14-2007 at 10:27 AM

Thank you Alan. I was just responding to Woody's question above.

baitcast - 7-14-2007 at 12:23 PM

I think of that big spot from time to time,and still can,t believe:o

woody with a view - 7-14-2007 at 02:12 PM

bosh

you're on the right track (going to baja) but you're thinking too much. just get in your car and let it take you where you end up. you can drive from la paz to san ig and back in a day. i'd spend a day and sleep in the car and drive up the west coast(4-5 hours) to san juanico (ask around and there might be a bed at someones house). if there is a swell you'll witness something amazing at this world class surf spot. you'll figure it out. don't forget to check in when you return with all the details.

Cypress - 7-14-2007 at 02:19 PM

A little cornmeal, a little oil, a little fire.:D Nice fish.:biggrin:

Boshvideo - 7-14-2007 at 02:36 PM

Woody, I agree with everything you said only...... I'm taking the girlfriend along and I want to "show her a good time", if you know what I mean. But, you're right, I'm overthinking my trip.
I like your spirit.