BajaNomad

Catavina to the Sea of Cortez

TMW - 7-18-2007 at 07:24 AM

I was watching Malcom Smith's second anual Six Days of Baja and it shows Malcom and several other riders leaving Catavina and taking a motorcycle trail at the end of a bulldozer section and down to the Sea of Cortez. When I first saw this tape I thought he was using the the La Turquesa trail, but he's not. It appears they are going cross country. He says it was a trail he and Danny Laporte found the year before, mid 90s.

When you go into Mission Santa Maria and first see the Sea of Cortez and look across to the east side there appears to be a trail, like a cow trail, or at least there was when I was there a few years ago. I wonder if that was it.

David did they bulldoze more than one section in the area? Malcom says the bulldozed section was to establish the county line for Ensenada or whatever they would call it in Mexico.

surfer jim - 7-18-2007 at 08:22 AM

And the mystery continues......

El Comadante Loco - 7-18-2007 at 09:19 AM

Hey TW

We hiked up to Santa Maria from the Gonzaga trail head in Feb 05. Spent the night at the Mission, hiked around the morning but did not notice any way that a MC or quad could trvavel to the sea. If there is a way I would like to do it... See you at Campo San Antonio K43...

David K - 7-19-2007 at 08:12 AM

TW, the El Camino Real (post Serra) has been ridden by Kevin Ward from Gonzaga to Santa Maria... But that caused considerable damage to his ride... So it really is for feet or hooves only.

The ECR used by Serra and the Jesuits was in the canyon and climbed up to the bulldozed road on the Indian Trail...

I am thinking perhaps Malcolm was on the BILL NICHOLS trail that goes from the mine, south of Puertecitos west... cross country to near San Agustin...? What you saw ? a video? may have edited out stuff from Cataviņa to the Bill Nichols trail...?

See my Mision Santa Maria trip report for a photo of the El Camino Real where it drops into the Santa Maria valley... It is nothing more than a cow path., other than the switch backs.

bajalou - 7-19-2007 at 09:06 AM

The Ensenada Municipality begins on the Sea of Cortez side near the Valle of the Giants just south of San Felipe on Mex 5. and extends to the border with Baja California Sur near El Arco/Gurerro Negro so don't think the bulldozed trail would be involved with the Municipality borders.

bajabird - 7-19-2007 at 03:36 PM

I am heading down in a couple weeks to take the baja 1000 route from catavina to Loreto, any advise along the road?

TMW - 7-20-2007 at 07:20 AM

The last section before Loreto last year was run over a new route. I would be interested in if it's on private land ie: no trespassing or is it open. I'm hoping to do a prerun from BOLA to the finish when the course is open for prerunning.

bajabird - 7-21-2007 at 08:54 AM

Most of the prerun for me south of loreto will be before the loreto 400, running the loreto 400, and if it happens the cabo 500 from loreto to cabo and its prerun. Id like to get back to south baja as soon as I can line up a car to go the roads with me north of cabo and any parts south of El rosario.

El Comadante Loco - 7-25-2007 at 04:05 PM

TW see my post BOLA to ........ Join us!!!