BajaNomad

The Shrine de la Estufa

DianaT - 7-18-2007 at 02:47 PM

Efrain, and the Shrine de la Estufa

Efrain is a man who deserves a story of his own, and perhaps will have one in the near future. But this is about his latest creation.

He works hard and is the one we wanted for tile work; but Efrain works on his time schedule. We like Efrain, and will hire him for more jobs, on his time schedule; it will never be early in the morning.

With all of our decorating insecurities, we bought tile and grout in Tecate. The rest was in Efrain’s hands.

We were thinking in straight lines, but Efrain wanted to do something different behind the stove. We told him to design whatever he wanted. But as his idea grew, we shuddered and thought we regretted our decision. It was not looking good as it progressed.

But in the end, we love the final unique product. Efrain smiled as we told him we loved his creation, and that we call the Shrine de la Estufa.

Diane and John---

Too few gringos set them free to create

Baja Bernie - 7-18-2007 at 04:40 PM

and that is normally their loss....You guys seem to continue to make the right moves/decisions. The Mexicans will be surely pleased that you have come amongt them............But, I do agree with beer only at the end of the day...........Sodas swell....but never open them because many will find their way home to the kids.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cypress - 7-18-2007 at 07:58 PM

That's really neat!!!:tumble:

BigWooo - 7-18-2007 at 09:02 PM

Your place is looking great. I can't believe how much you've accomplished in such a short time.

amir - 7-18-2007 at 10:01 PM

Very creative and superb craftmanship.
The Shrine is a piece of art...

--Amir

gnukid - 7-18-2007 at 10:55 PM

Beautiful, I often ponder the same issue in the moment, are those of us from the north squeezing the soul out of every corner of our projects? with silly demands for 90 degree corners and walls that go straight? I'll be posting soon, my doors will soon be completed after only 8 months of work!

oladulce - 7-19-2007 at 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
I often ponder the same issue in the moment, are those of us from the north squeezing the soul out of every corner of our projects? with silly demands for 90 degree corners and walls that go straight?

Oh, I don't know gnukid.

Last week we would rather have been surfing those couple of days we spent trying to get that bath cabinet and countertop to fit against our very un-square Mexican walls.

I'm IN on that wall color too Diane. It's got a beautiful glow like a mixture of a mango and a papaya.

[Edited on 7-19-2007 by oladulce]

capt. mike - 7-19-2007 at 05:49 AM

one of those tiles has an image of the madonna in it!
i swear!

shari - 7-19-2007 at 09:14 AM

I am sooo glad to share our "Efrain" secret with you and very happy you give him artistic freedom to create art...it is magnificent and something only Efrain would think up in his "unique" mind...he is one of the few craftsmen who takes pride in his work here even though he isn't an early riser. I saw the virgin in that middle tile too!

DianaT - 7-19-2007 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
one of those tiles has an image of the madonna in it!
i swear!

If she is there, she is smiling.

Diane and John

On edit---perception is everything----walls that are not straight just give the home character. Also, that is why caulk was invented, isn't it?

[Edited on 7-19-2007 by jdtrotter]

bajajudy - 7-19-2007 at 12:25 PM

Beautiful, Diane
I will try to find the pic of our kiva that our maestro did from a picture in one of our design books....fantastic.

I thought that this was going to be a thread about a bunch of appliances that used to be on the side of the Vizcaino road. One of them was a stove. I will also try to find that pic.

What an adventure, eh?
It is great to hear your prospective on a construction project. It can be challenging and enlightening; frustrating and rewarding.

Shrine de la estufa, el boiler y el television

bajajudy - 7-19-2007 at 01:47 PM

This was taken in July 2005.

viscainoart.jpg - 32kB

Iflyfish - 7-19-2007 at 02:10 PM

I thought I saw Elvis, but that's just me.

Lovely! Love the contrast in colors. A shrine to good cooking!

Iflyfish