BajaNomad

Cost of a New Panga?

bajabound - 7-18-2007 at 05:25 PM

I was curious if anyone know about how much a new panga cost? Say a 21 ft center console with engineer.

Thanks in advance.

Al G - 7-18-2007 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound
I was curious if anyone know about how much a new panga cost? Say a 21 ft center console with engineer.

Thanks in advance.

I am curious too...I am an engineer too...I will be happy to go fishing with you:biggrin:

Van Diaz Panga

Loretana - 7-18-2007 at 06:48 PM

I believe Gene told me he paid 26K for the panga and trailer....the Honda outboard was another 9K.

But wowee........ :dudette:

The Chili Queen

Loretana - 7-18-2007 at 06:55 PM

And here's her photo

:yes:

Chili Queen

Loretana - 7-18-2007 at 07:09 PM

One more try.....this photo posting gets a bit tricky sometimes!

chili.JPG - 49kB

Bob and Susan - 7-18-2007 at 07:15 PM

you COULD buy our boat...
http://www.mulege.org/boat/boat.htm

i'll deliver and guarantee it....

edit:spelling

[Edited on 7-19-2007 by Bob and Susan]

Don Alley - 7-18-2007 at 09:29 PM

Most of the Loreto captains have moved from the 21-22 foot boats to larger 24-25 footers. So there are some of the smaller older boats around for sale, although most are side console boats.

Some of these new boats are made locally, but I believe most are made on the mainland. Last year I got a price of about $8000 US for a pretty bare bones boat, without the motor. A year or two before there was a truckload here with a govt subsidized price of $4500 US. These were from Sonora.

And remember, there is a 10% IVA on all this stuff if you buy new. Boat, motor, trailer.

Pescador - 7-19-2007 at 06:42 AM

First of all when you say you want a center console panga you have to clarify a lot further. Ensanada Boat works makes several and local builders both on the mainland as well as some spots in Baja make some of these boats. Lupe Diaz of Los Barrilles makes undoubtedly the finest fishing boat anywhere in Mexico and is called a "super panga". Don Alley's new boat which you can do a search on this site is a Lupe Diaz Super Panga. The panga was originally built with seats every 3 to 4 feet which gave a real strength to the boat but then the gringos came and wanted a center console boat so they left the seats out. But when they did that they lost a lot of strength and the boat was able to flex in the middle section which eventually caused some delamination of the floor and hull. Lupe Diaz boats of the early years even had some of this problem but he seems to have this really taken care of on the newer boats. Others like Ensenada Boat Works tried other methods but made much heavier boat which did not handle quite like a Diaz Super Panga.
The last time I priced out a brand new boat from Lupe which was configured the way I wanted with bait tank, deck capping, center console, and all the goodies, it was approaching $30,000. He also had several older pangas that he was rebuilding from his older, narrower mold.

Hook - 7-19-2007 at 08:49 AM

Who built the pangas that Igor and Guillermo have?

Minnow - 7-19-2007 at 09:01 AM

The builders name in Ensenada is Amato. A couple of years back you could pick up a fully rigged 24ft panga with your choice of motor for around 25K. Could be double that now.

LarryK - 7-19-2007 at 11:19 AM

What do want to use your Panga for? Do you fish every day? How much do you want to invest in the boat? How important is for you to have a center counsel walk around?

I have a center counsel 21’ panga from “Pangas Rodriguez” in Ensenada. It is not a walk around, but it is super strong. This boat a 2000. I brought the boat used with a 70hp 2 stroke and have less then $8000 invested. It may not be fancy but it sure gets the job done.

My point is that you can be on the water in a good safe boat without spending a lot of money!

Rodriguez Panga

bigboy - 7-19-2007 at 12:10 PM

LarryK............I have a house in Campo La Jolla and would like to have a larger boat that I can beach launch. Presently, I have a small boat that I fish the beach and rocks with but would like a bigger boat for the island.
Do you beach launch or ramp launch. If you have a casa in or around Ensenada, I'd like to take a good look at your panga to get a few ideas before I take the plunge!

bajabound - 7-19-2007 at 12:12 PM

Thanks for the responses. I was just trying to compare prices between a panga say 21ft stand up center console to a 21ft center console Whaler, Grady or Mako. Something simialr to the Chili Queen (Photo Above)

I was going to use it for basic fishing in the SF bay during the summer and then trailer down to Baja for use during Oct and Nov. One or two people fishing nothing speacial.

LarryK - 7-19-2007 at 09:36 PM

BigBoy, check your U2U.

Larry

Pescador - 7-20-2007 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I was just trying to compare prices between a panga say 21ft stand up center console to a 21ft center console Whaler, Grady or Mako. Something simialr to the Chili Queen (Photo Above)

I was going to use it for basic fishing in the SF bay during the summer and then trailer down to Baja for use during Oct and Nov. One or two people fishing nothing speacial.

Ok, now I have a better idea as to what you are trying to do. While there are a lot of boats built all over Mexico, some are just heavy clunky pieces of fiberglass while others are truly pieces of engineering and development which have come through years of development by the seat of the pants. The first real development of pangas were with the ARCA panga which started in the 60's in Mazatlan and then in the early 70's Max Schoyer bought the factory and moved it to La Paz along with the workers from Mazatlan. One of those workers was the family of Diaz. All Arca pangas were 22 ft. long and were called super pangas, with the gas tank up front in a compartment ahead of the center console. While they made 16',18',20' and 24' on special order, it was the 22 that evolved as the primary super panga since it rode waves like no other boat and did so with smaller motors.
In 1989 Lupe Diaz went out on his own , with financing from Terry Maas, of Loreto, and started making a 23' Super Panga. It was a foot longer and 9 inches wider than the old Arca pangas. Lupe took the major market share and the Arca pretty much went out of business since Lupe's boat was wider, longer and more economical to operate.
If you look at Makos, Grady-Whites, and Whalers, the fit and finish is definately superior to a Diaz Panga but you will also find it takes a lot more horsepower to push it through the water. Secondly, those are all around boats that are built for varying conditons, while the Diaz panga has evolved for the unique wave and wind pattern that we find in the Sea of Cortez.
Lupe went into business with one of the boys from the Palmas de Cortez and has a beautiful new facility at KM 109 just before the turnoff to Las Barrilles

bajabound - 7-20-2007 at 10:46 AM

Pescador

I had know idea how Diaz Panga got to LB.
That's some great insight. I guess I have more things to consider.

I had stumbled into the facility just of the turnoff to Las Barrilles one day when I was driving back to the airport. I actually stopped for breakfast just across the highway and noticed people building pangas and just poked my head in.

What's the weight difference from a super panga and a whaler, mako, grady type of similar length? Pretty much the same or are pangas heavier?
Again just generally speaking.

Panga's just look tough and last time I was fishing in La Ribera the guy dragged his super panga around the beach with his truck from the front hook of the panga. I've never seen a gringo do that with his/her boat before and this super panga was in good condition not something this person didn't care about.

Cypress - 7-20-2007 at 11:01 AM

Would expect a panga to be lighter due to it's narrow design and not having a deep-V hull.:tumble:

Hook - 7-20-2007 at 11:09 AM

Quote:

What's the weight difference from a super panga and a whaler, mako, grady type of similar length? Pretty much the same or are pangas heavier?
Again just generally speaking.

Much will depend on the era of each of these boats you are talking about, especially with the Whaler and the Mako. I dont think Grady's have changed that much over the years.

I have a real affinity for the layout of the Makos and Kencrafts of the late 80s and early 90s (maybe later, too), when talking center consoles. I like the storage/kill boxes up front in a vee that create seating area in a pinch very handy. I also like the fact that they have removeable deck plates over the entire fuel tank. Yes. sometimes it may require moving your bait tank or leaning post, but at least you arent cutting the deck up. Assume that ANY boat will eventually have to have the fuel tank inspected by more than an inspection port.

The Mako website still has a great link to the specs of almost all their past models. You should be able to get an idea of the weight of these sizes of boats from this.

Spec link

Personally, I would take the increased vee and Carolina flare of these models over a panga in terms of pure ride You will stay drier and experience less pounding but, of course, you will pay more in fuel to get this. Length for length, these Carolina boats are heavier than pangas, which accounts for the increased ride improvement and decrease efficiency. This is especially true of the older Makos and Kencrafts; Gradys are probably about the same weight as they've always been. Makos and Kencrafts have cut a few corners since the late 90s; Grady just seems to raise prices to accomplish this.

I am not a big fan of the Whaler ride, even after they faced the music and had to increase the Vee in their models. But my kidneys are getting old.

[Edited on 7-20-2007 by Hook]

Roberto - 7-20-2007 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Who built the pangas that Igor and Guillermo have?

Don't know the name, but those boats were built on the mainland.

Diver - 7-20-2007 at 02:04 PM

First question;
If your going to trailer it all that way and only use it in the bay, why not get one of these 20 footers ?

boat 1.jpg - 46kB

aquaholic - 7-20-2007 at 02:06 PM

...I was just reading Hook's latest post, and he is right about the Grady's. They have had a Carolina Flare with Deep-V for a long time. Whalers went to the Accutrac Hull with the Deep-V in the mid-90's. It gives a much softer and dryer ride than the Grady. The Deep-V's take more HP, but give a MUCH softer ride than a flatter bottom boat (pangas). I have a Whaler 210 Outrage with a 175 HP Optimax, that has an optimum cruise at 3500 RPM, riding at about 26 MPH. At that speed, I'm burning 5.9 - 6.0 GPH. I'm very happy with the economy and the performance in all kinds of seas. When I'm home, I fish out on the ocean for salmon across the bar at Westport, Wa., and the boat is as dry and smooth as I could hope it to be.

...In my next post, I'll list the equipment I use to catch salmon across the bar, and never have to leave my barstool...:D

Diver - 7-20-2007 at 02:09 PM

Here you go Hook;
My old '88 Aquasport !!
26' with deeep vee and BIG outboard; what a boat !!
Huge 7' long catch locker/seat in front with 2 big bait wells in back, removeable floor panels, removeable leaning post, in-rail rod holders, etc.
Yes, that is an early Evinrude 300-V8 !!
You can't even see the 25 horse kickier on the other side.
50+mph to the fish !!

[Edited on 7-20-2007 by Diver]

boat 2.jpg - 35kB

Martyman - 7-20-2007 at 02:37 PM

Some great boat talk! We are upgrading from a 14' inflatable with a 15hp to a slightly bigger boat. We are looking at 16' aluminum or 13-14' Whaler with a 40-50hp. Which would be a better "ride"?

Diver - 7-20-2007 at 03:55 PM

In all but flat conditions, the Whaler will ride better.
And if you do get caught in a bad storm, I'd rather be in a Whaler.
However; I have survived many storms in my aluminum boat that costs half as much and it does take less motor and that does lead to better mileage and easier towing and easier launching but ......
Well I am certainly not going to chose for you !!! :lol::lol::lol:

Hook - 7-20-2007 at 03:56 PM

Marty, is this for use at the new BOLA digs, exclusively?

If so, I think I would go Whaler for the added weight and the safety factor. I've heard that you can sometimes get chop at BOLA..........:lol:

Better creature comforts with glass, too.

A larger tin boat might change my decision.

Hook - 7-20-2007 at 04:01 PM

Diver, what was the beam on that beauty? Was it a 9 footer? Older Aquasports were good boats.

26 foot deep vee and 300 ponies..........chop, what chop???? :bounce:

Diver - 7-20-2007 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Diver, what was the beam on that beauty? Was it a 9 footer? Older Aquasports were good boats.

26 foot deep vee and 300 ponies..........chop, what chop???? :bounce:

They listed the beam at 8'6 but it was wider in places.
You are correct; chop had to be over 3' and steep to tickle that boat. I crossed the gulf stream from Boca to Bimini enough times to know it was safe in 20' rollers and 8' breakers !!
Bought it from a kid that I figured was running drugs to have that monster motor on it. It would have done fine with something a bit smaller and lighter.
Did I mention that I loved that boat ??! :biggrin:

Pescador - 7-21-2007 at 07:47 AM

Well, I am not a boat engineer but here is the little bit I do know about the difference on these boats. I have fished quite a bit on a 19.5 whaler that is owned by San Marcos Mike at Isla San Marcos. I realize that boat is built like a tank but it takes a 150 hp motor to operate the boat. I have also fished on a Mako in the 20 ft range and it takes a 200 hp motor to move this boat. The Grady was, if I remember correctly, around 20 to 21 ft and it took an old 225 to push it through the water.
Now I have been in a lot of Lupe's boats and a 23 super panga does quite well with a 90 hp motor. Now most people opt for 115's and then run it in the 2/3 range.
Hook has spent a lot more time in other boats than I have and he feels the ride is drier in the other boats. I think the ride in the newer super pangas is very dry and prefer the ride of the panga as far as the Sea of Cortez is concerned. I especially think it is good both coming in to a choppy sea and better than most on rear quartering seas. These other boats evolved for a wide range of conditions and different waters. An example would be the Florida boats that were developed to meet a very specific set of conditions that are inherent with southeasten US Waters.
There are a lot of pangas that have been built because Americans and Canadians wanted a center console and a local boatbuilder modified an existing mold to accomodate that desire, but IMHO Lupe Diaz has over the years evolved a Super Panga which has no comparison.
John Haberman from Mulege has a brand new boat called the Juanita II which is a real beauty and Don Alley who posts a lot on Nomads has a really beautiful boat this year. One of the first boats off of the new mold went to Harry Oxley of Punta Chivato and he put twin Yamaha 70's on. Harry has used this boat for quite a few years and is very, very happy.

bajabound - 7-21-2007 at 08:55 AM

Sorry for fueling the fire but I heard that maker Mako was purchased in 2000 and the quality of the boat hasn't been the same that time? Is there any truth to the quality issues after 2000?

Thans again for your previous responses.
Excellent info for a first time boat buyer.

Iflyfish - 7-21-2007 at 09:29 AM

I am suffering deep boat envy here amigos!

Iflyfish

Al G - 7-21-2007 at 10:50 AM

Why are not, large 24-26' all aluminum, center console boats more poplar in Baja?

backninedan - 7-21-2007 at 03:27 PM

Not sure Al, I have a 21 foot Lund that has been a great boat. The tales of bad ride, leaks, etc have proven to be wrong, at least in the case of my boat. It gets better gas milage than most glass boats (with equal motors) and has proven itself to be an excellent fishing platform.

Hook - 7-21-2007 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Sorry for fueling the fire but I heard that maker Mako was purchased in 2000 and the quality of the boat hasn't been the same that time? Is there any truth to the quality issues after 2000?

Thans again for your previous responses.
Excellent info for a first time boat buyer.

That's what I've heard, too.

I actually think that Mako and many other manufacturers began to seriously cut corners in hull construction around the mid-90s.

As mentioned, I liked the late 80s boats for the combo of construction and layout. Probably like the Kencrafts even more than the Makos because they have a higher gunwale heighth, but they are not as common, especially on the West Coast.

Pescador's right about the increased power needed; it's the compromise that is unavoidable with a deep or modified vee with a transom deadrise of, say, 16 degrees or greater and glass construction. I like the stepped hulls, too, towards the rear in this deadrise. The vee upfront will cut the chop a little better than a panga (in my experience) but without the nice Carolina flare, those quartering seas to windward or leeward can be drenching in a deeper vee. Hulls like the Stripers, Wellcrafts, Trophys, etc. seem prone to this.

Pangas can be pretty dry riding but the chop can be formidable with so little weight up front. But my experience is almost exclusively with the older generation pangas. The newer ones are apparently much different.

[Edited on 7-21-2007 by Hook]

Pescador - 7-21-2007 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Why are not, large 24-26' all aluminum, center console boats more poplar in Baja?

Actually you have to go to a boat like a Pacific Boat Works boat to get into the larger boats. I have a 20 ft Aluminum boat that was built in Australia because it has almost 1/4 in plate on the bottom. The constant flexing with aluminum can prove to be a problem over a long haul and you begin to see stress cracks in the hull, crossmembers, and transoms. When you get into the 24 foot length, then you have to make it really heavy to provide the strength needed for that much length. Gregor and Klamath make some really beautiful boats but they usually will some some stress at some point with hard usage. As soon as I say that there is probably some body who has a 20 footer that has pounded it 20 miles a day for 30 years but I have seen a lot of stress cracks on most of these boats after a time and you should never make the mistake of even considering a riveted boat.

Martyman - 7-24-2007 at 01:28 PM

Hook;
Yes it will be kept in BOLA. What about buying a panga or any boat down there? I could bring a motor down to attach. There seem to be a lot of boats just "sitting around" in Bahia de LA.
I'm checking Craigs list fairly regularly. My buddy wants to get a Whaler Montauk....we'll see what happens.
Martyman

Cypress - 7-24-2007 at 01:46 PM

Boats just sitting around. :?: Check the fuel consumption of those lil dumplings.:) The owners probably keep 'em docked in order to pay for essentials, like food, lodging, etc..:spingrin:

Don Alley - 7-24-2007 at 02:47 PM

Just a few thoughts...

I'm running a 115 Merc 4 stroke on my panga. This is not a fast boat, compared to many of the American deep v's. I get about 6000+ rpms at full throttle; specs say max is 6400 but my tachometer only goes to 6000. I may replace that. Anyway, at wide open with smooth seas I've read just under 34 MPH on a gps with 3/4 fuel and two people. I can cruise at about 25-27mph at around 5000-5200 rpm and at 4500-4700 21-22mph. I'm still playing with the trim, and still have stuff to add. and I have to calculate some fuel burn rates. Right now I'm up north so no running for a while. A while back, we rode on a Diaz panga with a 150hp 2-stroke that made 33-34 mph.

Ride: IMO better than the other local pangas, with a better entry into chop, less banging and shaking. I haven't taken it out into conditions that got us wet, but my guess is it's dryer than the Sonora pangas but wetter than many of the US built boats.

Another big consideration for getting a panga was ease of launching, beachability, and shallow draft. I fish close in inshore, a little scary with the outbaord compared to my kayak. Big submerged rocks show up really fast! :o And I have not gotten a spare prop yet.

I had one engine problem, the alternator on the Merc was faulty. With limited time to use the boat we did not opt for warranty service but had a local Merec dealer mechanic come over on a Friday night and he had us good to go Saturday morning for 500 pesos parts and 500 labor. Also, the hour gauge has failed and must be replaced.

Minnow - 7-24-2007 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
First question;
If your going to trailer it all that way and only use it in the bay, why not get one of these 20 footers ?

Diver, that is the exact boat I have. Thanks for the pic. For me it is the perfect baja boat. Easy to trailer, easy to launch, and very stable for two people.

tripledigitken - 7-24-2007 at 03:38 PM

Diver,

What a great looking CC. What did you replace it with?

Ken

Diver - 7-24-2007 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Diver,
What a great looking CC. What did you replace it with?
Ken

Thank you. Which one ?

First a 28' Carver flybridge
then the Aquasport
then the 20' WestCoaster
now an 11' Zodiak and
a 14' Lund (my cartopping crab boat) and
looking for a new boat for Baja.

If I had a nice ramp to use, I'd love to have the Aqusport again. Without one I will probably get another 20-22' tin CC like the last one. This boat will stay in Baja, maily on the west coast.

Osprey - 7-24-2007 at 07:40 PM

Bajabound, I suppose around where you live in Sausalito getting into and out of the water is no problem because there are lots of launch sites/ramps available and handy. If you're only going to use it up there close and only in BOLA when you are down south, you need only figure out which boat will launch/haul safely in both places. Do you know what current conditions are on the beaches where you would/could launch/haul in BOLA? If so your problem is solved ----- the boat should match the two locations. The reason you don't see more medium size tin boats in the Sea of Cortez is because you can't always easily put em in, run em up on the sand -- all the new motors have hydralic lifts, won't kick up when you hit the beach, tin boats don't slide up the sand like glass boats. Safety and comfort on the water are important but if you can't safely get in and out, the rest don't matter. Pay attention to the launch conditions.

Hook - 7-24-2007 at 11:00 PM

BOLA has some pretty decent launch ramps, Osprey. He could pretty much launch anything he wanted in that area. Not even tide dependent since Guillermo extended his ramp and the Villa Vita ramp is very good, too.

Minnow - 7-25-2007 at 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Bajabound, I suppose around where you live in Sausalito getting into and out of the water is no problem because there are lots of launch sites/ramps available and handy. If you're only going to use it up there close and only in BOLA when you are down south, you need only figure out which boat will launch/haul safely in both places. Do you know what current conditions are on the beaches where you would/could launch/haul in BOLA? If so your problem is solved ----- the boat should match the two locations. The reason you don't see more medium size tin boats in the Sea of Cortez is because you can't always easily put em in, run em up on the sand -- all the new motors have hydralic lifts, won't kick up when you hit the beach, tin boats don't slide up the sand like glass boats. Safety and comfort on the water are important but if you can't safely get in and out, the rest don't matter. Pay attention to the launch conditions.

More fiction Osprey?

I have never seen a Gringo in a fancy medium sized fiberglass boat, "run his boat up on the beach". These must be the same fiberglass boats that don't have power trim? :lol: As a matter of fact, I just fished with a guy who has just such a panga and he was scared to get within 30 ft of a sandy beach on a flat calm day. Like someone mentioned before, Pangas are mexaneered for the SOC. If you fish anywhere else, another boat might be a better option. However, I would pay to see you run your Panga up the launch ramp in Saucalito.:o

jimgrms - 7-25-2007 at 08:00 AM

It seems to me the prices quoted on pangas in baja are outreageous 25 30 grand for a no frills boat is way hi google panga craft lots of sizes and options for a reasonable price and you get a choice not having to settle for what the builders speciality is is a big plus in my book

toneart - 7-25-2007 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey

More fiction Osprey?

I have never seen a Gringo in a fancy medium sized fiberglass boat, "run his boat up on the beach". These must be the same fiberglass boats that don't have power trim? :lol: As a matter of fact, I just fished with a guy who has just such a panga and he was scared to get within 30 ft of a sandy beach on a flat calm day. Like someone mentioned before, Pangas are mexaneered for the SOC. If you fish anywhere else, another boat might be a better option. However, I would pay to see you run your Panga up the launch ramp in Saucalito.:o

Here's one:

ZZ2EE488CD.jpg - 45kB

Minnow - 7-25-2007 at 12:11 PM

Tone, are you saying you run that boat on the beach and it does not have power trim?

Osprey - 7-25-2007 at 12:20 PM

My panga is glass, 23 ft 8 inches, 55 HP Johnson, just like the 20 odd pangas on our beach (and on beaches everywhere in the southland just like these) and it runs up on the beach to get above the waves when it's rough when we return from a day's outing. I'd venture to say hundreds like mine do it every day. These old motors just kick up when you hit the sand. Not many launch ramps down here. How would you go about it?

Osprey - 7-25-2007 at 12:25 PM

A neighbor gave me his old boat trailer about 2 years ago. Before that I didn't have a trailer, kept my boat on the beach with all the other pangas. Pushed it in with my Jeep, ran it up on the beach when I came back in, pulled it up above the high tide mark with jeep/truck/whatever just like my Mexican neighbors. I just did what I had to do to go fishing. There's not a lot of mystery about the process.

toneart - 7-25-2007 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Tone, are you saying you run that boat on the beach and it does not have power trim?

Sorry, Minnow. I glossed over the "power trim" part and thought your point was that gringos are afraid to run their pangas up on the beach. In this case, I carefully coasted up on a rocky beach. This is an older 21' La Paz built Panga, circa 1982. Nothing fancy....just reliable, stable and planes well. The bow does like to slap the water though when choppy. The motor is a 1999 Johnson 90, 2 stroke. I also have a Mercury 9.9 kicker motor just so I don't end up in Guaymas. The location is just inside the point on the far side of Bahia de Conception. Good fishin' around that point.

Hook - 7-25-2007 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
It seems to me the prices quoted on pangas in baja are outreageous 25 30 grand for a no frills boat is way hi google panga craft lots of sizes and options for a reasonable price and you get a choice not having to settle for what the builders speciality is is a big plus in my book

I agree Jim.

It's become such a buyer's market for good used boats everywhere, as fuel stays high and the bottom drops out of the real estate market.

Where the pangas really shine is in areas with limited launching, as mentioned several times in this post.

Minnow - 7-25-2007 at 12:43 PM

Osprey, nothing wrong with your setup for your area. Very specific for the conditions though. If I was in your situation I would have the same rig. When in Rome......

Tone, nothing wrong with your boat either. I would not call it fancy though.

Now this panga I would call Fancy. I hear they are using it in a Movie that they are filming in Baja.

No wonder he didn't want to get it near the beach, movie stars are so tempermental.:lol:

[Edited on 25-7-2007 by Minnow]

[Edited on 25-7-2007 by Minnow]

phpZxef1gPM.jpg - 41kB

Don Alley - 7-25-2007 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms

The most recent price quote I got on a "no frills" Mexican panga was about a year ago. $8500 USD (no motor). Mine has "frills:" Fuel tank, T-top, bow rails, stern rails, center console rails, gauges, hydraulic steering, bilge pump, bait pump, three piece construction, extra storage compartments, and more, all custom ordered.

However, some of the new US made pangas are really nice and the prices are good too. Those boats are certainly worth looking at.

bajabound - 7-26-2007 at 01:39 PM

Thanks for your reponses. All of the information has been good food for thought. I'll let you know what I finally decide.

It never hurts to see a few more pictures of boats!

Peloncito - 7-26-2007 at 11:58 PM

Check out this panga style boat. Pretty nice for the price. The link is for a 26' but the 22' I looked at was $34K out the door with a trailer. I have since moved on to looking @ Makos, Regulators (100% wood free), Parker & Edgewater. All of these boats have the main features we are looking for like self bailing c-ckpits, live wells, large gas tanks, hydraulic steering, trim tabs & lots of cooler storage! One of the Edgewater boats equipped with twin Yamaha 150's was "cruising" while only burning 2.7 GPH. Not too bad for a real nice looking CC boat.

http://www.anglerboats.com/models/index.php?model=26panga

The two most important reasons for me to look at some US made CC's were (1) twin motors. If one goes out, you can still make it back home safely as "Toneart" mentioned. (2) USCG regulations for the US made hulls (< 26') to have "Full Flotation" (foam filled). I am not sure if any of the Mexican full fiberglass pangas have either of those options. Diaz probably offers those as options.

Peloncito

Don Alley - 7-27-2007 at 11:41 AM

Flotation: My Diaz panga has a short bilge area in the stern with four plugs: one at the stern to drain the bilge, and three forward to drain sealed bilge areas. To my knowledge, this and other pangas use sealed air spaces instead of foam. That's not as good as foam if you get holed in a collision, grounding, etc.

A couple of points to consider: Should you develop a small leak in a foam-filled compartment, the foam can absorb the water and it is very difficult to get it out. Also, US requirements for flotation in boats over 20' do not require LEVEL flotation. Unless there is lots of foam in the sides and gunwales expect to float upside down. Mexican pangas do too.

Twin engines: You can get those on a Diaz panga. I think the "slot" on the transom has to be longer. But I don't know to what extent performance and economy are changed. Two 75hp engines will probably weigh much more than a single 150hp. There is definately more peace of mind with two, but double the maintenance costs and double the chances of mechanical problems. And no added protection from a fuel related problem that can stop both engines. I chose to use one engine; we'll see what happens.

If you end up with something like a Regulator you will pay more up front, and more for fuel. Could be tougher to launch in some areas and conditions. Will need more power to tow. But the "fit and finish" will be far better, more features, a dryer ride, better range and you can go FAST. You're looking at some really nice boats.

Cypress - 7-27-2007 at 02:11 PM

Two engines=twice the drag etc. and double the chance of a mechanical malfunction.:yes:

Peloncito - 7-27-2007 at 04:13 PM

Very good points on the twin engines Don. Never really thought through the double maintenance costs. Yamaha has a very good track record and their new 250 has a revised better fuel filter to protect against gas related problems. We all know how clean Pemex gas is.......

I was mistaken on the USCG requirements for flotation for 26' versus 20' but what I did find out today after looking @ the Grady White's, is that their complete CC line all the way up to their 306 (30') have the foam filled hulls. This is right off their brochure: It not clear what "afloat" is defined as.....

"Our boats have more than enough foam to keep the boat, motor and listed capacity of people afloat. Grady White's sprayed in closed cell polyurethane foam won't absorb water even if the hull is punctured, so the boat does not sink."

The Grady I looked at (222) today has a single Yamaha 250 equipped on it and I think the smallest option was the 200. Of course the Grady is priced @ $68K. Ouch!!!!! I wonder if Regulator, Parker and the others have followed that philosophy of filling all of their models with foam? I would hope so.

It is tough to select a boat that is right for every condition or situation.....

AcuDoc - 8-4-2007 at 10:22 PM

Martyman

If you are still looking at a 16 footer, take a look at the Klamath center console. I have one that I actually bought from Pescador a few years ago. He will tell you what a great Baja boat this is. I'm over in San Carlos now after many years of Baja and it is just a bit small over here as most of the fishing is a lot further out then is Baja. For Baja its hard to beat. It's 16' 3", centrer console and a 50 hp Merc 4 stoke.

Hook may chime is as well as he and I have fished on my boat a fair amount of times together. He has put her through her paces more then once. About a year ago we were in the SLC tourney is 5-6 seas and she did a great job. On calm days at different times over her life had her out to Tortuga with Pescador, Hook and myself together and on different trips. Pescador, his wife Marika and I ahve had reat times on her out of La Ventana as well. I believe Pescador bought her from someone in Los Barriels if I remember right.

As far as tin boats go Klamath and Gregor are hard to beat. But then again Pescardors Quintrex sure is nice!!!

2 engines

pacificobob - 8-6-2007 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Two engines=twice the drag etc. and double the chance of a mechanical malfunction.:yes:

yes...thats why one sees so many single engine transport aircraft crossing oceans!

Martyman - 8-6-2007 at 01:34 PM

AcuDoc;
Thanks for the hot tips. We are trying to keep our Horses at/or below 50 as we are tightwads. Are you talking about the Klamath bayrunner models?
It does seem to be a buyers market for boats as Craigslist has 30 new boats listed daily! We intend on having something to take down in November.

Don Alley - 8-6-2007 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pacificobob
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

yes...thats why one sees so many single engine transport aircraft crossing oceans!

We do see single engine transport aircraft crossing the SOC at Loreto. Cessna Grand Caravans. They fly to Cedros too. Good for areas where the fares won't support mutli-engine aircraft.

Yeah, sure, I'd have two engines too, if it were a life-and-death situation, and if it weren't for the costs. Maybe even have a car with two engines to drive around Baja.;D

AcuDoc - 8-8-2007 at 06:49 PM

this is the model for this year

http://www.klamathboats.com/center.html

attached a pic of mine, not sure how to do it so hope it came out okay

AcuDoc - 8-8-2007 at 06:56 PM

this is the model for this year

http://www.klamathboats.com/center.html

attached a pic of mine, not sure how to do it so hope it came out okay