BajaNomad

Las Animas

m12m12 - 7-24-2007 at 09:53 AM

I'm taking a trip to Las Animas soon. Does anyone know what the condition the road is in?

Thanks,
Fred

Hook - 7-24-2007 at 12:07 PM

Search the trip reports. There have been people down there in the last few months. By all accounts, the road is pretty good.

Debra - 7-24-2007 at 05:11 PM

It's alot better than the road from the village to Gecko, it smooths out after that.

cpg - 8-20-2007 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by m12m12
I'm taking a trip to Las Animas soon. Does anyone know what the condition the road is in?

Thanks,
Fred

Road has some deeper sand near the end and gets a bit tight with cactus that will scratch paint near the end. Very easy for a 4 wheel drive

larry - 8-29-2007 at 02:04 PM

I was there in December. It was an easy drive all the way, and smoother after the turnoff from the main road---sandy but 4WD was not needed.

Bahia de los Animas

Barry A. - 8-29-2007 at 02:48 PM

Years ago there was a very silty stretch near the bay-end of the Animas access road/2 track. It could be incredibly dusty when dry, and impassible when wet, and it was easy to get stuck there any time of the year. Then the locals pioneered a 2-track road that jumped out of the wash on the north side and contoured along the raised area to the north of the wash------this 2-track was rough, but much more desirable than the dust bowl the old road had become, and it was pretty much an all weather track.

As you probably know, the access road is mainly in a very active wash with a huge drainage, and it can be really sandy. Sometimes the sand is really a problem and requires 4 wheel drive, but most of the time the sand is reasonable and can be traversed by 2-wheel drive vehs. as long as you are careful.

In any case, this is a real adventure just getting there, and it has long been one of my favorite places in all of Baja. You will love it if you like "wild", and it is even better if you can get a car-top boat in there, like a 14 foot Gregor------I never go in there for less than a week as there is so much to see and do.

Give us a report when you come out.