BajaNomad

Whale viewing

Timbercrete - 7-25-2007 at 03:27 PM

Greetings All,

I am thinking about bringing the whole Fam Damnly down, after the first of the year to see the whales. What I need to know is, what s the best time and area for viewing. Any information anyone can proview would be very much appreaciated. Thank you in advance!

whales

tehag - 7-25-2007 at 03:40 PM

2/15-3/15

woody with a view - 7-25-2007 at 03:57 PM

closest, easiest is laguna ojo de libre just past guerrero negro. we went 3-17-07 and it was one of the 7-8 coolest things we've ever done. peak crowds are from jan-end of feb, or so.

do it. they'll never forget it!

magic happening!!!!

100_1746 (Small) (Small).jpg - 43kB

Baja&Back - 7-25-2007 at 04:44 PM

Malarrimo's Whale watch (www.malarrimo.com) in Guerrero Negro. Best tour around (we've tried 'em all). Babies all born by March 1 . Do it - a life experience! :bounce:

Late March is good

thebajarunner - 7-25-2007 at 04:51 PM

We went the last week of March this year to San Ignacio.
There are fewer whales that late, but the males have nearly all headed out and the pairs are much friendlier and willing to approach you for fun and frolic.
Anotnio's was really a good spot for a couple nights - good food, good boatsmen, a great experience.
And, an interesting, not too rough drive after the first quarter mile out of town toward the beach.

bajajudy - 7-25-2007 at 05:49 PM

My only advice, and I have gone out over 10 times, is to wait until hurricane season is over and then ask for the road conditions. Particularly to Ignacio Lagoon.
It is an experience that should not be missed.

CaboRon - 7-26-2007 at 02:48 PM

This has always been a desire of mine .... and now that I am moving to Baja I fully expect this to become a reallity.. I can't wait. CaboRon

Timbercrete - 7-30-2007 at 11:20 AM

Thank you all for the reply. Looking forward to a wonderful trip.

shari - 7-30-2007 at 11:26 AM

For families, I think driving to the lagoon (great road) close to Guerrero Negro is the best...over 1,500 whales, you can see em from shore, great beach and camping, educational centre and restaurant...cheaper, more bang for your buck and you can hang out there all day...way better than Malarimo tours. Check my website under whales tales for more details on this place and it's activities. Anytime in February (except presidents day weekend) or early March is awesome.

Pstreet1 - 8-10-2007 at 09:25 AM

Shari speaks the truth; she led a bunch of us through a great experience this year. She recomended a great place to stay in town....it really makes a difference to be with someone who knows what's going on. Without Shari, we would have seen "nursing circles," but wouldn't have known what they were. We wouldn't have known about swimming school for the calves.....so much we would have missed! Other people we've known who went on tours didn't learn the things we did. Shari is awesome.