BajaNomad

Where would you go?

BigWooo - 7-29-2007 at 04:40 PM

One of the guys I work with wants to fly to Baja for a 3 night trip to relax with his girlfriend. He asked me where I would go, but we haven't spent time in any of the resort areas recently, so I don't really know what to recommend.

This October, if you wanted to go to a nice hotel on the beach, sit around the pool, take walks, eat good food, snorkel and maybe have a bit of night life.

Where would you go?

He's looking for a room that's $150 night or less, plus they've never been to Baja before.

Thanks,

Wooo

[Edited on 7-29-2007 by BigWooo]

bajajudy - 7-29-2007 at 04:54 PM

I would check out the Oasis in Loreto. It is right on the beach, walking distance to restaurants(I could not recommend the restaurant there for anything but breakfast). It is an older hotel and the rooms are huge. Ask for one on the beach with a patio. It is not a fancy resort but the $150 price precludes anything here in Los Cabos.
He might look into a package deal, with room and airfare. If he decides on Los Cabos, I would be happy to give my opinion of what is available in his price range.
Buen Viaje a su amigo

craiggers - 7-29-2007 at 06:05 PM

For nightlife go to Cabo. Try this place for $157 per night. I don't know why prices go up October 12th through 14th though.

http://www.hotels-cabo-san-lucas.com/finisterra/rates.html

[Edited on 7-30-2007 by craiggers]

osoflojo - 7-30-2007 at 09:32 AM

There are at least half a dozen places I know in Cabo for well under $100.00. Many around $50 - $60. Cabo does not have to be expensive. U2U me in interested.

bajajudy - 7-30-2007 at 10:21 AM

OF, are there places on the beach for under $100?
Let me know please, because people ask me all the time for something on the beach, cheap.

capt. mike - 7-30-2007 at 11:54 AM

do the easy thing if its only 3 nites you have - go to Loreto and hit the Oasis. you will love it. like Judy above says.

on the water and easy walk all over town.

Bob H - 7-30-2007 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
do the easy thing if its only 3 nites you have - go to Loreto and hit the Oasis. you will love it. like Judy above says.

on the water and easy walk all over town.

You can learn more about this place here!

http://www.hoteloasis.com/

Bob H

Bob and Susan - 7-30-2007 at 12:24 PM

is there nitelife in loreto???

the oasis is excellent
pool in the middle
lots of water
fishing
snorkeling
older but well maintained

the airport is near
fly in fly out
great fly-in deals right now
rental cars available

Cypress - 7-30-2007 at 12:34 PM

Cabo doesn't have to be expensive. but it is.:(

backninedan - 7-30-2007 at 01:00 PM

Is there night life in Loreto?

Not much, and what there is tends to be one of the two topless bars that now exist. Think I will pass.

bajajudy - 7-30-2007 at 01:20 PM

I thought that there were some new gringo bars(well at least one) in town. One beside Dolphin dive center. And Augies. I guess that I am thinking of drinking spots not necessarily entertainment.....although I can be pretty entertaining after a few.(At least I think so!:P)

tripledigitken - 7-30-2007 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
.....although I can be pretty entertaining after a few.(At least I think so!:P)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:You go girl!

BigWooo - 7-30-2007 at 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the input...

I'm trying to think if Loreto would be fun for someone who's never been to Mexico or Baja before? But I'll definitely pass on the info.

Keep the suggestions coming...

Thanks.

Bob and Susan - 7-30-2007 at 02:52 PM

how 'bout your place????

madwrktodos - 7-30-2007 at 04:40 PM

What about San Jose? There must be something there in that price range. I know you can stay in the middle of town at the Tropicana for under $100 but it's not a beach place. It seems to me San Jose still has a bit of charm - all of which is lacking in San Lucas - it's a nice little town to walk around in - and there are plenty of good restaurants to chose from. El Chular is our favorite hands down. It's also closer to the airport.

capn.sharky - 7-30-2007 at 05:04 PM

For a three night stay and to relax-----I wouldn't count out Loreto. Gail Ramariz has some nice rooms that are very cheap and right on the beach. Or try SuKasa. Close to everything and right on the malecon. No, there isn't much night life in Loreto, but its great to relax. Rent a car and bop on up to San Javier for the day. Visit the museum next to the church. Grab any spot on the beach and get some sun. Rent a panga and go out to Coronado Island for the day. Believe me, your time will pass in a blink of an eye. Iflyfish (Pam Bolles) could set you up for the island trip. She is right in the Plaza Loreto Hotel. Cabo San Lucas isn't Mexico---its Newport Beach South. La Paz would be my other suggestion.

bajajudy - 7-30-2007 at 06:13 PM

There are packages to Royal Solaris and Best Western here in San Jose that would probably fall into their price range. The Solaris being the more expensive. Although I have never stayed in either, I understand that the Solaris is one of those resorts where you can never leave and have a good time. You could walk to the estuary and if they do that early in the morning, they will run into me, esposo and my Mexican mutts. The Solaris has something different happening almost every night. I have heard that the floor shows are very good.
Although the Tropicana is nice and a good buy, if they want beach, it will not work. As I said, if they have questions about places here, I will be glad to give my a$$hole....er, opinion.:cool:

BajaNomad - 7-31-2007 at 02:48 PM

Since it hasn't been mentioned, and seemed to fit the paramaters:

La Paz

Great snorkeling at the islands offshore - one of the best places to do so.... has nightlife.... good food.... a nice malecon to stroll down... beaches in town (don't go in the water though), and nice beaches just to the north (that you can go in the water).

And you can stay on the water for under $80 or so (at least according to reservations right now through their web site) at the La Concha Beach Resort (which is just north of - but within walking distance from - town).

http://www.laconcha.com/

:light:

:coolup:

(the nightlife was the one that made this toughest to answer for me....)

[Edited on 7-31-2007 by BajaNomad]

JZ - 7-31-2007 at 03:58 PM

LA PAZ or Cabo.

bent-rim - 7-31-2007 at 04:53 PM

They might want to check out the Serinidad in Mulege. It's a scenic cab ride from Loreto. There are some good restaurants in town, El Candil was spectacular when I was there in April. There's a seafood place on the north side of the river close to the shore that's really good. The Saturday night pig roast is always good at the Serinidad. I've stayed at the Oasis, it's okay but it's pretty tired and I would only eat breakfast there too.

Bob and Susan - 7-31-2007 at 05:02 PM

mulege IS the BEST spot...

"come-on-down" but...i'd rent a car

too bad we're not done because we WILL have the NICEST place...:saint::saint:

today.jpg - 46kB

BigWooo - 7-31-2007 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
how 'bout your place????

I'd send them to you if you were done!

We're too far from the airport.

Thank you for all the suggestions. His head is spinning. I'm sure it will take until October for him to decide...so many good options.

I'll let you know what they decide and how it went.

rogerj1 - 8-1-2007 at 11:29 PM

This was the first place we stayed in Cabo and is our favorite. Great people, great breakfasts. Located a couple of blocks above Mi Casa restaurant. It fits your budget. http://www.cabobungalows.com/