BajaNomad

Baja 7-07 Part 6: A day at Bahia Concepcion

David K - 8-6-2007 at 08:56 PM

Continued from Part 5 at http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26056

It was Friday, July 27 and Elizabeth and I were looking forward to a day of just rest and fun on a beach next to the warm Sea of Cortez... A day with no agenda, just run on Mexican time...

Vendors drove into camp to sell shirts, jewelry, hammocks and fruit! We bought a $50 hammock for $20 ("almost free")and a watermelon for the price requested (14 pesos). Wanted a Mulege and Baja Sur tee shirt, but none in my size (no jokes please)... XL.:lol:

Anyway it was a great day and lasted soooo long... ah Baja where time has no meaning!

Here's our palapa at El Requeson...

[Edited on 8-7-2007 by David K]

707 306r.JPG - 34kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 08:58 PM

The opposite side where our tent was pitched...

707 307r.JPG - 36kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 08:59 PM

Happy DK...

707 308r.JPG - 29kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:00 PM

Our view (1)

707 312r.JPG - 20kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:02 PM

Our view (2)

707 313r.JPG - 17kB

BajaWarrior - 8-6-2007 at 09:05 PM

That's some pretty water there David.

It's been a long time since I've been to that location. About 20 years to be exact. I've been keeping busy in Baja Norte.

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:07 PM

Our view (3)

707 314r.JPG - 22kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:11 PM

In case you didn't believe me, I am behind Baja Angel here showing the view from inside our Palapa.... Corona commercial material?

I first camped here in 1966 with my folks on our long Jeep trip down Baja before pavement... Yes it isn't remote anymore... But still very beautiful!

707 315r.JPG - 26kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:13 PM

Several non gringos came to Requeson for the day... all gone by dark. We had a great day...

707 317r.JPG - 29kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:16 PM

We took a drive to check out other places on the bay late in the afternoon... The road to Coyote beach was underwater at high tide... That didn't stop this van from getting out...

707 326r.JPG - 34kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:17 PM

707 327r.JPG - 32kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:18 PM

707 328r.JPG - 30kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:20 PM

Driving back to Requeson... There it is...

707 333r.JPG - 21kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:21 PM

Telephoto of our palapa with tent

707 337r.JPG - 24kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:22 PM

A beach just north of Requeson along the old Baja main road

707 339r.JPG - 26kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:25 PM

We check out the cool looking palapa campo just south of Requeson, called La Perla... Access off Hwy. 1 from the El Requeson entrance road or La Perla's own road, just south.

707 341r.JPG - 23kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:26 PM

Very nice!

707 343r.JPG - 27kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:27 PM

Friday night sunset... NICE!:yes:

707 344r.JPG - 19kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:28 PM

Moon up!:tumble:

707 345r.JPG - 13kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:30 PM

Moon reflections...

Great night in Baja...

Stay tuned for Part 7, Mulege mission and tropical river photos, Guerrero Negro Old Warf and more!

Part 7 is now posted here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26171

[Edited on 8-10-2007 by David K]

707 348r.JPG - 12kB

David K - 8-6-2007 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
That's some pretty water there David.

It's been a long time since I've been to that location. About 20 years to be exact. I've been keeping busy in Baja Norte.

10-4 on that Baja Warrior! Baja Norte is great and it is close... so it gets more of our attention! That makes getting to Baja Sur extra special!

Bob H - 8-7-2007 at 07:19 AM

VERY NICE! Thanks.
Bob H

oldjack - 8-7-2007 at 07:27 AM

There goes that DavidK... giving intimate details/location of another secret location!!!!! ... I hope the masses don't attack him to severly....

Diver - 8-7-2007 at 07:32 AM

Nice photos DK !
Thanks, as always.

I hope that someday you have more time to slow down and "live" Baja Sur more than a few days in each place. Sounds like you saw all you could on your short trip but there is soooo much more for you to explore.
Ahh, El Requeson without 25 other RVs on the beach looks heavenly.

jorgie - 8-7-2007 at 07:36 AM

Your series has been a treat, thank you Baja Nomad

Much thanks David, your series has been a treat.

David K - 8-7-2007 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldjack
There goes that DavidK... giving intimate details/location of another secret location!!!!! ... I hope the masses don't attack him to severly....

Thanks Jack... and the others for the kind words.

There are no 'secret places'... and it belongs to Mexico. That it is taboo (to some here) to share what you find with your friends here on Nomad is pretty sad, huh? The irony is those 'secret' surfing locations are in the part of that coast which is already reached by good 2WD dirt highway coming north from Santa Rosalillita's paved highway!

docsmom - 8-7-2007 at 01:09 PM

David K,
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! For about a year I've been lurking (and lusting!). I can't figure out if your reports make me happy or sad, wishing I was there but happy to live vicariously through you!!! I always look forward to your reports (so I guess that's happy) and you always deliver! Keep delivering the goods buddy and I'll keep smiling!

Hook - 8-7-2007 at 02:14 PM

La Perla is nice. I stayed there once about 10 years ago. Found two LARGE scorpions in our hut in the first 1/2 hour. We just moved them along; they're probably still living in one of them.

C'mon, Mr. Baja, ditch the unsightly and noisy blue tarp and spring for an EZ-UP or some such.........:lol:

Nice photos, again, David! Is your camp one of the ones out near the end of the spit in the telephoto? Notice any jejenes at dusk?

Bob H - 8-7-2007 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
...ditch the unsightly and noisy blue tarp and spring for an EZ-UP or some such.........:lol:

Checked out Ez-up link - there could be a problem with high winds with these products. Gotta figure a way to anchor them. Looks like the Dome II is designed to handle wind, but how much is the question.
http://www.ezup.com/products/rec/dome2.shtml
Bob H

David K - 8-7-2007 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
La Perla is nice. I stayed there once about 10 years ago. Found two LARGE scorpions in our hut in the first 1/2 hour. We just moved them along; they're probably still living in one of them.

C'mon, Mr. Baja, ditch the unsightly and noisy blue tarp and spring for an EZ-UP or some such.........:lol:

Nice photos, again, David! Is your camp one of the ones out near the end of the spit in the telephoto? Notice any jejenes at dusk?

No the tarp is fine... I have a system so no wind wipping (or much)... See the buckets? An ez up takes a lot of room and would blow away like an umbrella with a gust, me thinks!

Not much bug issues as we had a nice breeze... The second night, the air went still so we lit a pair of Cutter candle buckets outside our tent, just in case.

It really was a GREAT time in Baja Ca Sur!

BAJACAT - 8-7-2007 at 09:53 PM

O M G David, there is nothing like Bahia concepcion, one of my favorites places in Baja. thanks for sharing Baja Amigo..

Bajaboy - 8-7-2007 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
...ditch the unsightly and noisy blue tarp and spring for an EZ-UP or some such.........:lol:

Checked out Ez-up link - there could be a problem with high winds with these products. Gotta figure a way to anchor them. Looks like the Dome II is designed to handle wind, but how much is the question.
http://www.ezup.com/products/rec/dome2.shtml
Bob H

I've used an EZ Up many times. If it gets too windy (usually at night) I simply take off the tarp. Otherwise, I stake down the poles and haven't had any problems.

Zac

HPIM0492 (Small).JPG - 35kB

Bob and Susan - 8-8-2007 at 04:53 AM

EZ-up's are the only way when camping...
these things go up and down sooo easy...one piece and the cover

why fight with a tarp????

they store in a bag about 1ftX1ftX4ft
not too big

they are NOT a problem to carry or store
our bag has wheels (no extra cost)

when you leave or at nite you just lower it to the ground if breezy

the cost is about ~$100 depending on the size

David K - 8-8-2007 at 08:31 AM

Okay guys, I see that my simple tarp isn't good enough and the EZ Up is the only way to please you all!LOL!!

Thanks

Hook - 8-8-2007 at 12:21 PM

Amen, Zac. Whatever is EZ-up is also EZ-down, if need be. The shade removal is also an option I've used.

I left mine up in Death Valley this spring just to see how it would do in a decent wind. I estimate that it withstood approximately 25 mph winds without any problem, but that was the limit. I was using the stakes that come with it (the LONG nail type) and the ground was pretty darn firm; this would not have worked in any sand. But then, I would have switched over to my sand spikes or my bags with the rope and S hooks.

David, I thought sure you'd have a legendary Cepek awning in your gear. Did your family ever own one?

I dont doubt you can keep the blue tarp up but the noise, man, the noise. I remember camping next to Blue Meanies in the past and listening to their awning all day and night. :fire:

David K - 8-8-2007 at 09:38 PM

I had some Dick Cepek Baja Proven items... I purchased them for my own camping trips, because I am THAT old.... LOL (ie Dick Cepek was still in business). I recently tossed out a Dick Cepek cot that developed a rip (after 30 years of use!). Heck, I even bought a set of Armstrong Tru Tracs from Cepek (in El Cajon) for my '75.5 Cherokee Chief.

My parents and I usually camped at Nuevo Mazatlan using the ocotillo made palapas (cabaņas) first, then camped in the shade of the trees after Luis planted the forest there. (1966-1977)

Nope, no extra shade anywhere... we roughed it! However, once I began camping out on Shell Island, I would bring a shade house or tarp. Noise has never bothered me produced by any wind...

EZ Ups

Yakfishing - 8-9-2007 at 03:41 PM

David,
Nice write up, as always.

I had an EZ Up destroyed by the infamous BOLA wind gusts. We were camped for 7 days some years back and the first 6 days had no problem with the typical daily winds. It was securely anchored and worked well. Our last morning started out normal, then suddenly the wind started howling... It looked like a Three Stooges scene with the 4 of us bumping into each other and getting poked by cactus while chasing flying towels and misc other camping gear. We wrestled the remains of the EZ Up to the ground and packed it up. It was only a couple of months old and they (Sportmart?) gladly exchanged it for a new one.

I still use one, but I'm always a little gun shy when the wind starts to pick up.

Joe O.

David K - 8-9-2007 at 04:39 PM

Thanks Joe... It looks like a parachute just waiting to lift off to Oz!

Part 7 (the final chapter) is now up: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26171

[Edited on 8-10-2007 by David K]