BajaNomad

Surf Fishing Aroung La Paz

CaboRon - 8-7-2007 at 11:15 AM

Hola Fishing Nomads,

I'll be settling probablly in the Centenario area of La Paz in October.

Do you have any surf fishing tips ? Good spots ,, types of catch ,,, etc.

Appreciate any information you might want to share.

- CaboRon

bajajudy - 8-7-2007 at 11:29 AM

Surf fishing in El Centenario would be soggy...bring hip waders.:biggrin:

CaboRon - 8-7-2007 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Surf fishing in El Centenario would be soggy...bring hip waders.:biggrin:

Thanks Judy,

I understand there is no surf to fish in the bay, but, are ther places to drive to relatively near by ?

- Ron

Can't help too much...

BMG - 8-7-2007 at 11:58 AM

...but i have seen people fishing right off the malecon several times. Usually at night. Sometimes with plugs and other fishermen use bait. I have seen them catch a few fish but couldn't tell you the type. Seems like every time I walked by Marina La Paz there were people fishing on the cement structure next to the marina. Below is a photo of a happy guy who just caught a fish in his net there at the downtown beach.

bajajudy - 8-7-2007 at 12:27 PM

I would not eat any fish caught off the malecon!:barf:
Out from La Paz, if you can still find a beach without a new development, the beaches should be good for fishing.

Capt. George - 8-7-2007 at 03:01 PM

fuhgeddaboudit!

no real surf fishing opportunities...just gave it a shot recently...no bueno!

comitan - 8-7-2007 at 03:05 PM

Larry

I have eaten many fish caught in the inner bay at centenario, Also doesn't CIBNOR Raise shrimp, lobster, and others that are eventually eaten by someone I have eaten their shrimp and never gotten sick.

vacaenbaja - 8-7-2007 at 03:33 PM

If you have a car, 4wd or high clearance and skillful driving
the surrounding areas of La Paz have some good surf fishing.
The dirt coast road going from Los Barilles north has many
areas that hold bass ,triggers etc. El Sargento and Los Planes
used to be good areas.I Have not been there in a while so I don't know about now. If you can get to the Todos Santos
area it can be good but watch the waves off the rocks.
North of las Paz there is an area that is rather hard to get to
but offers good fishing I forget its name. Now days I think
you have to have a means of getting off to the more out of the way places that are less impacted by man.
If you ever have the time I would highly recommend the
Bahia Asuncion area south to abre ojos and north to Morro Santo Domingo for some fine surf fishing.

Martyman - 8-7-2007 at 04:13 PM

San Juan de la Costa and furthur north on the same road, North of La Paz, has decent shore fishing. I hooked a Dorado from shore there once but was unable to land him.

bajajudy - 8-7-2007 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Hola Fishing Nomads,

I'll be settling probablly in the Centenario area of La Paz in October.

Do you have any surf fishing tips?

As Judy mentions, the Ensenada de Aripes-- the beaches by El Centenario-- are probably not the healthiest waters to feed from.

From El Centenario one can get to the outer beaches of the Mogote with no highway travel...

--Larry

I didnt say anything about not eating fish from El Centenario, I said from the malecon.

CaboRon - 8-7-2007 at 04:48 PM

Looks like I'll need my Bronco 4x to get to the fish.
- CaboRon

Alan - 8-7-2007 at 05:32 PM

I would think that the area from Punta Coyote to Los Arenas could give you a shot at roosters.

I'm not going to eat anything...

BMG - 8-7-2007 at 10:14 PM

...that I know came out of the bay. But I'm sure most of the fishermen I've watched do eat their catch. Or maybe it's served up in those fish tacos everyone likes so much!:O:o

BMG - 8-7-2007 at 10:23 PM

Secret fishin' spot!

aripes.jpg - 48kB

Secret Fishing Spots

CaboRon - 8-8-2007 at 06:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
Secret fishin' spot!

Dogonne it, there you go, letting out another secret spot. :mad:

You may not be aware of this, but fisherpersons have a secret code.
They pledge to never give directions to , or to post GPS points, to secret fishing spots. They won't even give directions to other fisherpersons.
Fisherpersons from all over the forum will denounce you for revealing the secret fishing spot.
Outsiders will start fishing there....
It will be ruined for all of us fisherpersons who have kept the secret spot secret.
The world , as we know it, will end.

- CaboRon

bajajudy - 8-8-2007 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I didnt say anything about not eating fish from El Centenario, I said from the malecon.

Pardon my assumption as to your meaning; to me it's essentially the same body of water with limited circulation and natural drain for the effluent of the La Paz metro area. Actually, the Malecon area may have better circulation than farther up the bay at el Centenario.

At certain times of the year a great deal of untreated sewage overflows into the water, much of it in the zone between the whale's tail and the airport turnoff, and I really don't like the idea of eating things that have been feeding there.

--Larry

[Edited on 8-8-2007 by lencho]

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:
Gross!

CaboRon - 8-8-2007 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pardon my assumption as to your meaning; to me it's essentially the same body of water with limited circulation and natural drain for the effluent of the La Paz metro area. Actually, the Malecon area may have better circulation than farther up the bay at el Centenario.

At certain times of the year a great deal of untreated sewage overflows into the water, much of it in the zone between the whale's tail and the airport turnoff, and I really don't like the idea of eating things that have been feeding there.

--Larry

[Edited on 8-8-2007 by lencho]

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:
Gross!

I know, it grosses me out too :barf::barf: - CaboRon

Get A Boat

CaboRon - 8-8-2007 at 11:13 AM

:?: It's clear to me now that I am going to have to get a boat to get out past the crap. :wow:

I've been looking at this beauty. :lol:

:light: Certified for in Bay use.

IT'S CHEAP !!!! :bounce: :lol: :bounce: :lol:

- CaboRon

What do you think ?

BMG - 8-8-2007 at 12:12 PM

CaboRon,

It's a beauty! Is that a cannon port opened up on the side? How many horsepower? Will it pull a skier? How many does it sleep? Which end is the outhouse? How many sails? Is it homemade or a production model? "Cheap" doesn't cut it, how much?

woody with a view - 8-8-2007 at 06:57 PM

Quote:

You may not be aware of this, but fisherpersons have a secret code.

just wait, flat tires courtesy of the "locals" cannot be far off!!!

gnukid - 8-8-2007 at 11:49 PM

With the large contingent of marine biologists there is a great deal of data on water quality at each marina and land mark. The marinas each have their own issues and the Naval center is worse, but off magote and in the channel on a flood tide the water isn't worse than anywhere else. On an ebb yes it is variable and places worse than others.

I spend a lot of time with Marine Bologists and a lot of time gathering data reviewing the exact readings cause I want to fish too and finally I think it isn't such a bad place to fish, out of the inner bay, that is off the wrecks and off magote, but its getting worse. I will look for the latest data for you and link to it asap.

To answer your question, tecolote is the closest surf fishing I can think of.