BajaNomad

Los Gordo's Chili Cook-Off

BajaGuera - 8-7-2007 at 01:01 PM

Los Gordo's anything Goes chili cook off is happening at La Bufadora on August 18th. Noon to 5-ish. Cooking starts at noon - Chili Judging 3pm - Salsa Judging 1pm.

bbbait - 8-9-2007 at 09:08 AM

Yeah, I had heard that it was back on again this year and we will be there. It's a good party!

bajabound2005 - 8-9-2007 at 10:13 AM

We're entering the chili cook-off!

Minnow - 8-9-2007 at 10:52 AM

BB05, too bad we are not down there this year. I would have been fun watching the look on your face when I won. Thats not bragging either, thats from everyone who has ever tasted my chili. I have seen the rules for Gordos, thats not even competitive chili. And 3 hours to cook it. Must be that most ingredients will be premade, pre chopped, ect. They need to go to the International Chili Cookoff rules, or the competition is nothing more than an excuse to get drunk, and who needs that.:spingrin:

bajamigo - 8-9-2007 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
BB05, too bad we are not down there this year. I would have been fun watching the look on your face when I won. Thats not bragging either, thats from everyone who has ever tasted my chili. I have seen the rules for Gordos, thats not even competitive chili. And 3 hours to cook it. Must be that most ingredients will be premade, pre chopped, ect. They need to go to the International Chili Cookoff rules, or the competition is nothing more than an excuse to get drunk, and who needs that.:spingrin:

We're in it for the fun, win or lose. Sorry, I don't know a soul who's tasted your chili.
:bounce:

[Edited on 8-9-2007 by bajamigo]

Minnow - 8-9-2007 at 11:32 AM

Your buddy PJC has. He makes a mean pot himself, I might add.

DENNIS - 8-9-2007 at 12:12 PM

Yeah.........I used to be pretty close to this event and it's all in fun. Cold beer---Margarita swilling fun. Nothing more.

Minnow - 8-9-2007 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Yeah.........I used to be pretty close to this event and it's all in fun. Cold beer---Margarita swilling fun. Nothing more.

Thats what the Losers always say.:lol:

Minnow - 8-16-2007 at 01:11 PM

What happened at the cook=off? Any pictures? How did you guys do?:?:

bajabound2005 - 8-16-2007 at 01:32 PM

It's on Saturday...

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGuera
Los Gordo's anything Goes chili cook off is happening at La Bufadora on August 18th. Noon to 5-ish. Cooking starts at noon - Chili Judging 3pm - Salsa Judging 1pm.

Minnow - 8-16-2007 at 02:04 PM

Let us know how you do. Pictures would be great. Please no pictures of food or Drink or faces with smiles on them. I am already jealous enough.:rolleyes:

DENNIS - 8-16-2007 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
What happened at the cook=off? Any pictures? How did you guys do?:?:

I'm only assuming you were asking me. I didn't cook, I worked. It's a long story, Tom, for another time.

bajabound2005 - 8-18-2007 at 05:37 PM

Team Taormina (aka bajamigo & bajabound2005) take first place!!! Full report and pix to follow early next week. Gracias to BBBait for stopping by our "booth" and refreshing us with beer and water (the last water to be had at the cook-off BTW!)

DENNIS - 8-18-2007 at 06:02 PM

First place....That is very cool but, knowing what a great cook you are, not surprising. How did you escape the party so early?

felicidades, taormina

sylens - 8-18-2007 at 06:07 PM

on your success:bounce:

now, can you just let us in on what taormina signifies:?:

wish we could have been there. guests have been straggling in to visit us since wednesday...:)

maybe next year.:tumble:

without revealing state secrets, can you share what meat(s) you used and whether your chili was picante o picantísimo? :spingrin:

bajabound2005 - 8-18-2007 at 06:09 PM

everyone was taking apart their booths and leaving; and we are fried (literally) but that will be part of the "full report". Where were YOU, Dennis??? We still have lots of chili leftover. We made WAY TOO MUCH! I'll save some for you and drop it off next week. Tomorrow we are off to the Valle de Guadalupe for the Paella Festival (part of Vendimia); we'll have a report on that, too!

bajabound2005 - 8-18-2007 at 08:00 PM

Lili! That's our last name! It's very Italian; Sicilian, in fact. It's the name of a town in Sicily. The rest, about the recipe and such, must wait. We are EXHAUSTED! Plus the rest of TEAM TAORMINA is here (daughter, son-in-law, grandkids). And we have another possibly mentionable event for this board happening later tonight...can't believe we agreed to host something that starts at 10:00 on a Saturday night but...hey! There's all that leftover PRIZEWINNING chili!

bajadock - 8-19-2007 at 07:08 AM

I have read stories, some of which may be true, about this event. Missed it and look forward to pix that are censored according to Minnow's guidelines. Missing Paella too? My scheduling isn't very good, except that I can report wonderful afternoon showers past 3 days in Denver.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

bajaguy - 8-19-2007 at 07:52 AM

Methinks chili may be on the menu next Saturday nite!!!...looking forward to that,,,:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Minnow - 8-19-2007 at 09:46 AM

BajaGuy, That reminds me of the funniest chili cook-off story I ever heard. This Guy, we will call him Greg, finishes way back in a cook-off. Takes his chili home and freezes it. 4 months later he hears about a cook off taking place after an off road race near Barstow. I guess there were 25 plus competitors and some serious prizes. He throws his frozen chili in a pot and adds some beans. Ends up taking second place and something like 500 bucks.:o

Kat, if I might suggest you start a new thread with your winning story. I can't wait. The cook-offs are fun, but winning is sweet.

[Edited on 19-8-2007 by Minnow]