BajaNomad

Surf Fishing San Jose Del Cabo

Tommy A - 8-9-2007 at 09:42 AM

Going down to SJD early Sept for a few days and would like to get some surf fishing in between ponga rides. Have never been there before so any advice on gear and or bait/lures would be greatly appreciated. I' am more of a live bait or cut bait guy but also have some big crocks if that's all that will work. Thanks

bajajudy - 8-9-2007 at 11:54 AM

Surf fishing in La Playa is almost always hot. Lotsa bait right now. Right now there are two ways to get to the shore fishing spots. One is to simply follow the Puerto Los Cabos signs into La Playa and work your way toward the sea.
The second is a right just after you cross the arroyo. There are signs that say "Gordo Banks Fishing", "Panga fishing". Follow the Gordo Banks signs to the water and fish outside the jetty.
Who knows what it will be like by Sept. You might want to make another post closer to your arrival. I will be glad to tell you up to the date information then, as I live here.

Al G - 8-9-2007 at 01:01 PM

The hardest thing I have faced is making bait...sometime even pangeros have difficulty. live bait is best, but shrimp works well.
I have not been very successful with crocs...most people swear by them and maybe I just need a lesson from a real surf fisher:lol::lol:
I have only been fishing Baja a couple years...still manage to get a few from the surf every year. My big excuse is I only been there in the winter...:rolleyes: Have not fished SJC yet...maybe this year.
Judy knows more then anyone about SJC...so keep in touch with her:light:

baitcast - 8-9-2007 at 03:03 PM

Tom Krocks and K/M,s both work great in the sand,I prefer K/M,s in chrome/blue or green they work great and cast a lot farther,both will catch a wide variety of fish.

You will be on the warm side so think speed of retreive fast!!! Bait is fine but not nearly as fun :biggrin:

bajajudy - 8-9-2007 at 03:12 PM

Here is a good link to check out just before you come down:

http://www.gordobanks.com/

tunaeater - 8-9-2007 at 03:55 PM

I've caught jacks and pompano exactly where bajajudy suggested. I met a local guy that was fishing and catching live bait right in front. He was there with his sons and family. He loaned me a rod and my son and I tried our luck.

I bought us all some sodas, beers and lunch and hung out with them for a few hours. They were very cool and we had a great day fishing. One of my most memeorable days fishing and it only cost a few pesos vs the hundreds I've spent on boats and no luck.

We were using live bait, but I'm sure the krocs and other types of lures would work as well. I would get some megas baits as well..

Al G - 8-9-2007 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tunaeater
I've caught jacks and pompano exactly where bajajudy suggested. I met a local guy that was fishing and catching live bait right in front. He was there with his sons and family. He loaned me a rod and my son and I tried our luck.

I bought us all some sodas, beers and lunch and hung out with them for a few hours. They were very cool and we had a great day fishing. One of my most memeorable days fishing and it only cost a few pesos vs the hundreds I've spent on boats and no luck.

We were using live bait, but I'm sure the krocs and other types of lures would work as well. I would get some megas baits as well..

Tunaeater....Can you say how he was making bait...net?

tunaeater - 8-9-2007 at 07:50 PM

His son would go about waist deep and throw a net. They were getting sardines. Fresh lively bait as easy as that. There must of been lots because the birds were diving like crazy and he would get them on one throw. This was in July about 4 years ago.

Tommy A - 8-10-2007 at 07:01 AM

Great info,thanks everyone. Bajajudy I will get in touch with you a week before I leave to get an update on the fishing. Getting really excited about this trip now! Thanks again.

Tommy A - 8-10-2007 at 07:17 AM

Will I need a long pole to throw it way out there or just use regular pole? Also I will be staying a the El Presedente Hotel any action in front?

El Jefe - 8-10-2007 at 09:44 AM

There is BIG shore pound surf in front of the Presidente. So a longer pole is nice to be able to cast out over the waves. Yes, there are fish there. September is a good time. A kroc works well here. A famous surf fisherman once said, "The bigger the surf, the bigger the fish."

Good luck.