BajaNomad

Todos Santos Redux

Lee - 8-11-2007 at 09:43 PM

''Master Plan Comments - It is difficult to believe that the quality of the infrastructure that will occur will be any better than what has been done in the Cabo/San Jose de Cabo area. We all know they have a water problem and a sewage problem. The government extended the sewer lines in Todos Santos last year and the result was that the cesspool at the dune end of Camino del Pacifico tripled in size. The street that they put in front of the school in the Otro Lado already has pot holes in it. We were told over 2 years ago that they were going to replace the town water pump but when the day came, the pump did not arrive.

My Mexican friends tell me that we are very innocent when it comes to understanding how the political system works here in BCS. They have told me that unless a community votes with the successful political party, that community will get nothing.

This government has the money to make the necessary replacements/repairs to EXISTING equipment and or systems. I keep hearing them say they do not have the funds and that the Gringos will have to pay for it. Has anyone seen the improvements to the Malecon in La Paz or the grounds in front of the City Hall? What about the block behind the CCC. I guess be should not complain. After all we were given those lovely stone cross walks in town. We should be thankful and not complain.

Will there be any limits on density in the development of this corridor. Zoning laws that are enforced. Height restrictions. Restrictions on building near arroyos. ETC!!! We have a serious water problem. We need a new power station. We need water pumps that have backup generators. How about security and safety? We pass the drug houses in town doing business as usual. The police pass them also but I have not seen those "businesses" removed from the community. The politicians from La Paz made promises to the Bomberos in order to get them to return. Part of those promises are being kept, but the other ones are not. The politicians now expect the Gringos to keep those promises for them.

Every community in the civilized world that pays taxes expects the basic needs to be filed: water, sewage treatment, and security and safety. Will we have that when this development goes through? Some how I do not believe it will.'' - [name withheld -- printed in the Baja Western Onion]

oldhippie - 8-12-2007 at 05:25 AM

"My Mexican friends tell me that we are very innocent when it comes to understanding how the political system works here in BCS. They have told me that unless a community votes with the successful political party, that community will get nothing."

That's tough but effective politics. It seems likely to be true. Perhaps that's why BC went with PAN last week.

"Every community in the civilized world that pays taxes expects the basic needs to be filled"

Tax collection is a BIG problem in Mexico. And the rates are way too low. This is going to sound crazy but I would gladly pay 10 times what I pay in property taxes - $102/year. I understand that here in TJ the rate is a function of the appraised land value with complete disregard of any improvements. It's too low to pay for basic services.

So the paying taxes and expecting services argument doesn't cut it in Mexico.

[Edited on 8-12-2007 by oldhippie]

flyfishinPam - 8-12-2007 at 06:40 AM

Damned if you do, damned if you donīt...

as for voting with the politico party in power on the fed level didnīt work for Loreto this time around. Our streets were destroyed and they remain unpaved. Weīre told that the state (PRD) promised to repave the streets and install lighting and the city (PAN) decided to take the opportunity to re-do all the water lines and sewer lines before the repavement. Well water lines and sewer lines have been completed (sort of, but a big botch job) and we still wait for repavement. Only three blocks were repaved and the light posts all painted Yellow (PRD party color) so that the innaugration of which would provide good photo ops, but we wait for the funding to complete the rest of the townīs repavement. So Loreto remains a disaster and a joke, so much so that many tourists wonīt be returning to this dirty, dusty city (as per many comments I am hearing first hand). To somewhat remedy the situation, the town decided to repave two blocks in the center of town (in front of my shop) with money that was destined for other projects (their pocktes?? :lol:), two weeks later streets are still a mess and hopefully we wonīt receive any major rains because then it WILL be a disaster area. This is politics pure and simple and the small businesses and townspeople are caught in the crossfire between the PAN and the PRD. rumor has it that the gov in La Paz has decided to play the political game so that Loreto votes PRD next election, and it may happen. I canīt imagine how the other businesses are doing. If mine wasnīt an already established business, we would have been out of business because of this "progress" taking place all over town. I notice that many other newer businesses along the main streets have closed permanently which is really too bad.

I also agree on the property tax situation, they are waaaay too low for us to expect the basic services we get, and then you have to factor in all the graft that definately takes place, so whatīs left? :?:

oldhippie - 8-12-2007 at 08:40 AM

All of that is why my house cost 25% of what it would cost a few miles to the north in Imperial Beach. Sooooooo, it is a dilemma.

But the low housing, tax, and food costs have allowed me to hang up the corporate spurs and live at the beach.

Paying top dollar to live in Mexico makes no sense at all. That's why I'm totally baffled by folks paying so much for condos and houses.

They have started selling the second Trump tower a few miles south of me. The first one is pretty much sold. Condos start at the "mid-300K" level and they are selling. I wonder what the top floor penthouses go for. No construction yet.

Gotta go, I'm going to pick up the garbage left by the locals in front of the compound.

Gotta love Mexico, because if you don't, you're going to hate it.

Setting an example

Dave - 8-12-2007 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
Gotta go, I'm going to pick up the garbage left by the locals in front of the compound.

Let's throw our trash in front of the gringo's house. He'll pick it up. :rolleyes:

Next week, expect more. :lol:

toneart - 8-12-2007 at 10:59 AM

Taxes rates have to consider mainly the poverty level at which most locals live. When we move into Mexico we bring money and greater economic prosperity, but we also bring with us the downside; consumption of precious resources such as water. We also create a huge burden on the infrastructure.

Shouldn't the developers pay for this instead of taxpayers? These expenses would have to be partly built into the sales costs to buyers and also shared partly from the developers' profits. Obviously, greater environmental concern has to be given to such monolithic projects. In a perfect world these concerns would be dealt with without the behind the scenes deal making that is so pervasive.

My comments pertain to the Mexican condition and do not reflect my tax attitudes in the United States.

Cypress - 8-12-2007 at 11:14 AM

If it's so bad down in Baja; inadequate infrastructure, lack of water and electricity, etc. on and on and on. Why the heck does anybody want to live there?:?::) :biggrin:

Exactly

Dave - 8-12-2007 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
If it's so bad down in Baja; inadequate infrastructure, lack of water and electricity, etc. on and on and on. Why the heck does anybody want to live there?:?::) :biggrin:

Keep up the good fight. ;D

JESSE - 8-12-2007 at 10:08 PM

The locals will never tolerate paying the neccesary taxes to get things going in the right direction, and we have to get used to that and accept it.

oldhippie - 8-13-2007 at 07:34 AM

Taxes in Mexico:

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/travel/rrwalters/rrwtaxes.htm...

http://www.mexicolaw.com/LawInfo18.htm

Both of my step-sons are young white collar guys in TJ, an accountant and a salesman. College educated in TJ. They pay income tax. The key is building the middle class. They always suffer the largest tax burden, everywhere.

[Edited on 8-13-2007 by oldhippie]

DENNIS - 8-13-2007 at 07:40 AM

Quote:

Compound????
Stalag 17 was a compound.

David K - 8-13-2007 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Damned if you do, damned if you donīt...

as for voting with the politico party in power on the fed level didnīt work for Loreto this time around. Our streets were destroyed and they remain unpaved. Weīre told that the state (PRD) promised to repave the streets and install lighting and the city (PAN) decided to take the opportunity to re-do all the water lines and sewer lines before the repavement. Well water lines and sewer lines have been completed (sort of, but a big botch job) and we still wait for repavement. Only three blocks were repaved and the light posts all painted Yellow (PRD party color) so that the innaugration of which would provide good photo ops, but we wait for the funding to complete the rest of the townīs repavement. So Loreto remains a disaster and a joke, so much so that many tourists wonīt be returning to this dirty, dusty city (as per many comments I am hearing first hand). To somewhat remedy the situation, the town decided to repave two blocks in the center of town (in front of my shop) with money that was destined for other projects (their pocktes?? :lol:), two weeks later streets are still a mess and hopefully we wonīt receive any major rains because then it WILL be a disaster area. This is politics pure and simple and the small businesses and townspeople are caught in the crossfire between the PAN and the PRD. rumor has it that the gov in La Paz has decided to play the political game so that Loreto votes PRD next election, and it may happen. I canīt imagine how the other businesses are doing. If mine wasnīt an already established business, we would have been out of business because of this "progress" taking place all over town. I notice that many other newer businesses along the main streets have closed permanently which is really too bad.

I also agree on the property tax situation, they are waaaay too low for us to expect the basic services we get, and then you have to factor in all the graft that definately takes place, so whatīs left? :?:

Pam, maybe find out what the towns of Asuncion, La Bocana and Abreojos are doing right because all three have nice paved main streets???

oldhippie - 8-13-2007 at 07:51 AM

repost

oldhippie - 8-13-2007 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Compound????
Stalag 17 was a compound.

Yes, and I have a 4 foot electrified fence on top of 6 foot brick wall. It's a real zapper. A condensor discharges when the circuit is grounded. I also have two watch dogs for audible alarms. They are always outside.

The house is in a private gated community manned 7/24 at the single entrance. I'm on the perimeter. Hay muchos cabrones aqui, ellos son mis amigos, well except for a couple that I've had to stare down. So far they have always turned tail. Sometimes I buy cheap booze (cane alcohol) for los barachos.

The garbage WAS in the vicinity of the entrance.