BajaNomad

Perseids- Better in Baja?

thebajarunner - 8-12-2007 at 10:09 PM

Well, the "Showers" here in Central California were more like a 'trickle'

How was the show down there?

We had a great sky, no moon, not much light pollution, but in an hour only two really vivid streakers.

Not like previous years...
See better show in Baja on a normal night.

JESSE - 8-12-2007 at 10:33 PM

Clowdy and Rainy in La Paz = No show

Cypress - 8-13-2007 at 06:01 AM

Looked for 'em last night here in north Idaho and saw not even one.:( Think maybe this Persieds event is over-rated.:yes:

Crusoe - 8-13-2007 at 06:33 AM

Very small "Dibble" here in Washington St. ++C++

Mexitron - 8-13-2007 at 06:45 AM

A blog I read in UK said it was better over there--farther north, where the origination point is more overhead...nothing here in Tejas to see, but the constellation Scorpio is out in all her glory with Jupiter sitting overhead--nice--Jupiter, Antares, and the Cat's Eyes all sparkling away...should be lots better in Southern Baja.

Osprey - 8-13-2007 at 07:04 AM

Didn't see one meteor down south here -- I was looking east, some clouds but very clear at 5AM, no joy.

surfer jim - 8-13-2007 at 07:08 AM

Saw a couple here in desert around midnight and then went to bed as not much going on....

Russ - 8-13-2007 at 07:24 AM

We had winds up to 50mph and averaged 35 from12:45 to 1:45 last night. Lots of clouds and the lightning show was spectacular. Still no rain. Ice calm this morning w/ 2' maybe 3' waves. 83º

Not much of a show.

BMG - 8-13-2007 at 07:47 AM

I see more 'meteors' when I stand up real fast.

backninedan - 8-13-2007 at 09:12 AM

Very strong winds here also, but we did get some rain. The cloud cover took care of any meteor shower watching, but all in all, I would much rather have the rain.

bajajudy - 8-13-2007 at 09:23 AM

I didnt see a thing either.
Do you have to be awake to see such things?:smug::wow::?:

Cypress - 8-13-2007 at 11:33 AM

BMG!!!:lol::lol:

Just an observation

Baja Bernie - 8-14-2007 at 07:23 AM

Is the weather is becoming like this board or is the board becoming like the weather?

Just bored and wondering.

[Edited on 8-14-2007 by Baja Bernie]

Diver - 8-14-2007 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
I see more 'meteors' when I stand up real fast.

We call that a "Free Buzz".
Those druggies got nothing on us older guys with low blood pressure !! :lol:

Diver - 8-14-2007 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Is the weather is becoming like this board or is the board becoming like the weather?

So right ! And very well put, Bernie.
Seems like the board does some annual transitions;
mid-summer doldrums.....or whatever.
It's hot in Baja and us snowbirds can't start getting excited and packing for our winter trips yet.
I have noticed that this summer season has seemed better than past years; more summer travel posts, more good topics, more healthy opinion-sharing, more fun, less....stuff.

Thanks again to all who make Nomads an interesting and informative place to visit.

Wish I knew the answer

thebajarunner - 8-14-2007 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie

[Edited on 8-14-2007 by Baja Bernie]

Bernie, you are into a very frustrating area as far as I am concerned.
(which you and I have discussed, privately, of late)
Seems like a serious thread, like this one, gets a good start, serious responses,
then a sharp left turn into.....
well, into not so serious. (The English would call it "Silly")

Here is a possible suggestion for Doug,
Maybe he needs to start another category, similar to Off-topic,

He can call it "Silly Notions" or some such,
then, every time someone wants to turn left, leave topic, and get silly, well, just go over there and do it.

I don't know, just thinking aloud as I type,

I do know that earlier this summer I took two full months off from Nomad, had to completely re-sign in with password, etc when I returned,
I had hoped that some of the "silly" would have subsided,
well, it did, then it did not.

Maybe time to go hibernate for a couple more months.

Baja Bernie - 8-14-2007 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
We had a great sky, no moon, not much light pollution, but in an hour only two really vivid streakers.

Runner...............don't know what you are talking about.....never been psych'ed from afar before.

I am so humbly sorry if I offended you by making a joke of your 'serious' post above.

While we are being 'silly' perhaps Doug should start a 'whether this should be posted' in conjunction with your suggested 'silly' thread..............but then that would really be silly wouldn't it.

Baja Bernie - 8-14-2007 at 05:08 PM

I just had a private conversation with the bajarunner and came away from it with the realization that I should never impose my frivolous thoughts on a most serious topic—like I am not sure what.

I should have realized that these scientific topics do not lend themselves to a simple layman’s approach to levity.

One can just never tell when some high muckety-muck will remove something like Pluto from the field of planets and then what will we have. http://books.google.com/books?id=PiC6QXGgRtkC&pg=PA15&am...

I picked this one because Pluto was still counted here and that made me feel just a smidgeon more comfortable with the filaments.

With Pluto still floating around us non-scientific types realized that the planets circling the Sun could make up a baseball team………..Sadly with the demise of Pluto we no longer have a team to root onward or is that outward.

Ah! Well! I do hope that you will all forgive me for intruding in your cleaver conversation about –whatever

Diver - 8-14-2007 at 07:46 PM

I must be missing something....

Seems the original post dead-ended and then,
BMG made us laugh,
Judy made us laugh,
Cypress laughed,
Diver is just an inconsiderate pain,
Bernie offered a thought ....

And someone has a problem with this ??
I agree with bajarunner wholeheartedly !!
Doug, please send bajarunner's last post to the silly bin !! :lol:

Diver - 8-14-2007 at 07:49 PM

Oh yeh,

Last night was supposed to be the nest viewing in our area and it was clear as a bell at our place (1600'msl) and we didn't see a thing.

:coolup: :tumble: :saint:

BMG - 8-14-2007 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
And someone has a problem with this ??

I do seem to have gotten a little heat at my attempts at humor, but no problem. (Usually I make a joke about being married for 37 years about now, but I'm afraid she might read this.) I'll just post this little silly cartoon.

youcannothaveitall.jpg - 12kB

Diver

Baja Bernie - 8-15-2007 at 08:52 AM

I have asked, begged, Doug to change the name of that bin from the 'silly bin'-----to the much more formal 'Looney Bin.'

I hope we can all, well most, no--I'll settle for just some of us agreeing with this advanced idea.

The edit is to ask, Who gets the power to decide what goes in this new bin?

[Edited on 8-15-2007 by Baja Bernie]

Iflyfish - 8-15-2007 at 09:24 AM

Mrsfish and I went to eastern Oregon, out in the desert, to watch the light show. Many miles running from clouds and haze. Settled in a remote town, Condon, Oregon, hooked up the MH, ate dinner and then as we settled in for the light show the lights all came on around us all right, the lights of the fairgrounds where we were staying........not even one flare! It was fun though. Good to get out of Dodge.

Iflyfish