BajaNomad

Lock up your beer and tequila the Baja Gypsy's are coming!!

Bajagypsy - 8-14-2007 at 07:01 PM

Mr Baja Gypsy and I will be leaving the fridged north (Canada) on September 7th for beautiful Baja. We should arrive in BOLA late on September 9th to camp and go diving with the Whale Sharks. We will probably leave BOLA around September 11th and head on down for Shari and Juan's. We hope to stay there for 4 or 5 days and then head on down to Mulege. We will have to be on the road around September 19 or 20th, as it is back to work and hopefully not snow on September 24th.

So if you see a couple of pale Canadian's in a white ford focus, stop by and say hello, as we hope to meet some fellow nomad's to have a chat, drink a Pacifico/Tequila with.

Shari, hope you are practicing your drinking skills!!

The Baja Gypsy's

[Edited on 8-15-2007 by Bajagypsy]

Diver - 8-14-2007 at 07:27 PM

We have been warned of your arrival and will have our security fence in place by then. :lol:

Just kidding ! Hope to see you there.
But if I don't drink, can I still hang with you guys ?? :biggrin:

Bajagypsy - 8-14-2007 at 07:30 PM

We don't care if people drink or not, we can have a cup of tea!!

The best part of Baja for us, is the wonderful people we seem to always meet!

And you might want that security fence, pequito is like a raven, she will steel what ever she can and claim it as her own!!!:biggrin:

BajaWarrior - 8-14-2007 at 07:35 PM

We arrive in Bahia Asuncion on Friday late afternoon and staying for a week.

Diver, will you be there?

Diver - 8-14-2007 at 07:55 PM

Nope.
Trying to plan a September trip and then Christmas in Asuncion with the family.

BajaWarrior - 8-14-2007 at 08:58 PM

Maybe next time then...

Baja&Back - 8-14-2007 at 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
Mr Baja Gypsy and I will be leaving the fridged north (Canada) on September 7th for beautiful Baja. We should arrive in BOLA late on September 9th
[Edited on 8-15-2007 by Bajagypsy]

You guys are going to do 2500 miles (including 400 of Mex 1) in TWO days???

You're gonna need a holiday when you get home. :lol:

Have fun, & remember the law in Mexico says"Dont drink & drive - finish your beer first!"

Bajagypsy - 8-15-2007 at 06:16 AM

It's not that bad, we leave Saskatoon at 5:00 pm on September 7 and travel non stop to San Diego, we should be there around midnight on September 8th (I guess that's actualy September 9th!!) We will get a hotel room and then leave around 5 or 6 in the morning and head straight for BOLA. The excitment of actually getting to Baja keeps us going!!!! It's way cheaper than flying, so we do this crazy drive so that we can get down to Baja twice a year!!:biggrin:

shari - 8-15-2007 at 09:15 AM

I'm getting into shape for your visit gypsies...the fiestas will help for sure and our guests have a good wine supply too. Can't wait to see your new bikini.

Hook - 8-15-2007 at 12:25 PM

Did somebody say..........BIKINI !!!!!!!!!

Bajagypsy - 8-15-2007 at 03:07 PM

I guess I'll have to go and buy a new one now:lol:

Bajagypsy - 8-20-2007 at 03:01 PM

OK, the excitement is really starting now, only 18 more sleeps, I'm starting to go threw the camping stuff to see what we absolutely need to take. The big red truck died on us, so we have to stuff everything in our little ford focus!!! Thank goodness bikini's don't take up alot of room.;D

Cypress - 8-20-2007 at 03:21 PM

We're all excited for the Bajagypsies.:yes:

Bajagypsy - 8-25-2007 at 07:02 AM

Just so that I'm 100% sure that I have the correct information regarding fishing licenses, I can get my fishing license at the TJ border at the insurance place that is near by, am I correct?

Also, another question, how long of a drive from TJ to BOLA? Can't remember!!

Hook - 8-25-2007 at 07:32 AM

Ford Focus's are REALLY SMALL, aren't they? I'd suggest a Brazilian bikini.

It's about 400 miles to BOLA from the border but it's so difficult to predict how long it will take you to negotiate the stretch from TJ to El Rosario these days. Much depends on the time and day you are traveling it. I think 10 hours might be a safe guess.

I bought a fishing license many years ago at the border (off at SY BLVD of I-5, turn right at bottom of ramp, go straight at the stop sign and pull into the complex on the right) but cant answer for now. Others will have to give a more definitive answer.

Bajagypsy - 8-25-2007 at 07:46 AM

Yes our Focus is very small, thanx for the advise!:D I thought it was about 400 miles, but wasn't sure. Better leave very early from San Diego!!!!!

BajaBruno - 8-25-2007 at 11:48 AM

You should be able to easily make BOLA with a 7AM start (barring something weird). I leave at 7AM towing my boat and make it by dinner, but I walk across the border the night before to get my tourist card. It can save a lot of time.

Fishing licenses are usually available at the (24 hour) Instant Mexico Auto Insurance place, a half block from the Motel 6 on Via de San Ysidro. I think they only have one-year licenses, which are maybe $30+? I don't remember. Good luck.

Roberto - 8-25-2007 at 11:58 AM

Fishing licenses:

SQC Corp
2627 Boston Ave
San Diego, CA 92113
(619) 238-0909

right off the five near the Coronado Bridge. They do not/did not have a surcharge.

Bajagypsy - 8-25-2007 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
You should be able to easily make BOLA with a 7AM start (barring something weird). I leave at 7AM towing my boat and make it by dinner, but I walk across the border the night before to get my tourist card. It can save a lot of time.

Fishing licenses are usually available at the (24 hour) Instant Mexico Auto Insurance place, a half block from the Motel 6 on Via de San Ysidro. I think they only have one-year licenses, which are maybe $30+? I don't remember. Good luck.

We do not know any of the streets in TJ, is it on the route to the toll highway?

Barry A. - 8-25-2007 at 12:28 PM

Gypsy------

The place BajaBruno is talking about is in the USA just before you cross the border into Mexico at the old crossing into TJ. I would be more specific but I don't quite remember the exact directions, but I believe it is the last "off ramp" before the line-up to enter Mexico.

Hopefully somebody can confirm that.

Barry

Bajaboy - 8-25-2007 at 03:53 PM

Here are a few options for your fishing license...

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/fishing.asp

Zac

Bajagypsy - 8-25-2007 at 04:13 PM

thanks for the link Bajaboy, greatly appreciated.

DianaT - 8-25-2007 at 05:05 PM

When one of our sons comes down, he would rather drive his Focus than his SUV---

We will be interested in hearing and seeing how your Ford Focus handles the road.

Will probably see you soon----have a safe trip---your driving schedule would put us six feet under!

Diane and John

BajaBruno - 8-25-2007 at 05:41 PM

Barry is correct. Here is a Yahoo map of the insurance office. You can see the Motel 6 from there. I come down by 805 and take the San Ysidro Blv. exit, which I believe is the next to last exit.

After dinner, I go to the shopping center just south of there, park, walk across the border, get my tourist card, and then walk back, which saves all that trauma of driving back. Then I am all set to take off in the morning and I can have my nightly Scotch in peace. :yawn:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result.php?q1=223+Via+De+San+Ysid...

Bajagypsy - 8-25-2007 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
Barry is correct. Here is a Yahoo map of the insurance office. You can see the Motel 6 from there. I come down by 805 and take the San Ysidro Blv. exit, which I believe is the next to last exit.

After dinner, I go to the shopping center just south of there, park, walk across the border, get my tourist card, and then walk back, which saves all that trauma of driving back. Then I am all set to take off in the morning and I can have my nightly Scotch in peace. :yawn:

Thank you for the link it will help us canadian's find our way!!

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result.php?q1=223+Via+De+San+Ysid...

Bajagypsy - 8-25-2007 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
When one of our sons comes down, he would rather drive his Focus than his SUV---

We will be interested in hearing and seeing how your Ford Focus handles the road.

Will probably see you soon----have a safe trip---your driving schedule would put us six feet under!

Diane and John

Our focus goes down all the time when it is just Todd and I. We have even been to San Roque!!!! We also took it to the secret surf spot, although we did get stuck and these surfer kids wound up pulling us out. The secreat to driving the focus in areas like this is lots of beer and thinking 4 x 4 thoughts!!!

Bajaboy - 8-25-2007 at 09:29 PM

The wife and I thought we'd save some time and walk across the border to get our tourist permits. We ended up spending 1.5 hours in line walking back across the border.

Just a heads up.

Zac

Bedman - 8-26-2007 at 12:24 AM

Here's a thought for your fishing license. Last I heard they were available in BOLA. Why not get it there as long as your going to stop there?

Maybe one of the guys can confirm this? I always get mine here in the states at the Long Fin sporting goods store in Orange.

Bedman

Bajagypsy - 8-26-2007 at 07:37 AM

Does anyone know if we can get our fishing license in BOLA? That would be great if we could.

Hook - 8-26-2007 at 08:29 PM

Here is what's listed on Mia's site:

Sport Fishing licenses are required in Baja California for those who would like to fish the waters here. Locally, these can be aquired at Guillermo's Hotel/Restaurant/Sportfishing and also at the Pemex station on the East (beach) side of the road. Prices are as follows: (Subject to change)

Individual Permits/ Permiso Individual:

1 Day/Dia: $124 pesos + 25 pesos service/servicio (approx. $15 USD Total)

1 Week/Semana: $258 pesos + $25 pesos service/servicio (approx. $28 USD Total)

1 Month/Mes: $370 pesos + $25 pesos service/servicio (approx. $40 USD Total)

1 Year/Aņo: $452 pesos + 50 pesos service/servicio (approx. $50 USD Total)

Boat Licenses also available for those towing their own boats down...

Bajagypsy - 8-27-2007 at 06:16 AM

That is so what we will do, I'd rather get lost in BOLA, than in San Deigo!!!!