BajaNomad

Shore fishing in Maz

tunaeater - 8-16-2007 at 02:11 PM

Hey guys,
Anyone have any info on shore fishing in Mazatlan. I will be down there next week and my 9 year old would like to do some shore fishing in between offshore trips. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to bring some shore equipment.

Also, another note when I went to get my tourist card in Mexicali. I'm flying from MXL to Mazatlan they would not issue it to me. They said since I was flying I would have to get it at the airport. This was the first I heared of this. They will only issue it at the border if taking a bus or driving.

Thanks,
Paul

Minnow - 8-16-2007 at 02:55 PM

Never fished Matzalandia. If you anticipate down time from your offshore fishing I would bring your shore stuff.

About the tourist card. Yes, it is different, they will take them away from you when you leave too. Make sure you have the little ones birth cert with you when you show up at the airport too. If his mom is not there it would probably be a good idea to have a notorized letter from you saying it is ok for you to travel in MX with him. If your trip is for less than a week, your tourist card should be free, but most airlines already include them in the price of your ticket. However, since your flight starts and ends in MX none of this may matter. Tell them at the airport you need your tourist cards and they will more than likely set you up.

DENNIS - 8-16-2007 at 03:36 PM

Forget shore fishing in Mazatlán. Gather the family and go to the Pacifico brewery beer garden. It's about a square mile under roof and it's reminiscent of the huge beer halls of Germany. At least, that's what I imagine. Never been to Germany and I hope everything is as I remember in Mazatlán.

Hook - 8-16-2007 at 04:35 PM

The beach slope is too gradual in most locations and there is so many areas of sand that dont attract fish much, save the occasional corvina and this is not the season.

I think it's not worth bringing gear but if you are determined, try fishing along Olas Altas towards Old Mazatlan (I do see handliners on the rocks here) or around the entrance to the El Cid Marina.

Two recommendations.........Edgar's downtown and Dunia downtown. Ask around about them. Also, take the elevator to the top of the Freeman Hotel along Olas Altas for a great view of the city. Much easier this time of year than walking to the lighthouse at the entrance to the old harbor.

[Edited on 8-16-2007 by Hook]

El Comadante Loco - 8-16-2007 at 05:00 PM

Took my pole and tackle, tried shore fishing NADA... Get a panga and go out....

Al G - 8-16-2007 at 05:02 PM

You could try hand lining yourself...bring line and hooks...maybe a float...watch the Mexicans for a while.

CaboRon - 8-17-2007 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
You could try hand lining yourself...bring line and hooks...maybe a float...watch the Mexicans for a while.

Sounds interesting ... I've thought of trying it myself .

= CaboRon