BajaNomad

speargun/hawaiin sling

honda tom - 8-17-2007 at 12:10 PM

are spearguns or hawaiin slings ok to have on the boat in loreto? I have had a guide bring and use 1 before, but the rules may be different for him. is there a special license i must obtain?

edinnopolo - 8-17-2007 at 12:32 PM

I think you can have them on board but cannot use them in the park.:(:( And frre diving only outside the park with fishing licence.:yes::yes:

spears

tehag - 8-17-2007 at 05:43 PM

As far as fishing tackle and such go, usage is presumed from possession on the boat. Same with air tanks and spear gear; usage of them together is presumed when they're on the boat together. Read the park regs and factor this in.

CaboRon - 8-17-2007 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
As far as fishing tackle and such go, usage is presumed from possession on the boat. Same with air tanks and spear gear; usage of them together is presumed when they're on the boat together. Read the park regs and factor this in.

If there is ANY tackle on the boat ..... EVERYONE on the boat must be liscensed ...

- CaboRon

Don Alley - 8-18-2007 at 09:41 AM

I assume that if you are carrying these on a boat in the park it is because you want to use them in waters outside the park, and wish to transit through the park to those waters?

If so, I'd go to the Profepa office and ask them first.

The "rules" are different for different people. At least enforcement is.

honda tom - 8-18-2007 at 12:48 PM

OK so no spearguns or slings in the park right?

and scuba is ok in the park?

and no spearguns or slings with scuba in or out of the park.

sorry for the questions but i dont want to lose my boat.

Pescador - 8-18-2007 at 07:24 PM

If you look back in the search, there were some people who we know that were staying at Juncalito who were diving, had a spear gun or sling aboard, and had some scallops and a couple of lobsters. The park guys boarded their boat and instructed them to follow them back to headquarters in Loreto. For some reason the Park guys got ahead of them and they ducked back in to Juncalito thinking they would drive up to Loreto. Well when they landed, the park guys were waiting there and they were really ticked off that they had not followed instructions. They impounded everything. A few days later, they paid a pretty hefty fine and got everything returned, except for the scallops and lobster.

Minnow - 8-19-2007 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
. A few days later, they paid a pretty hefty fine and got everything returned, except for the scallops and lobster.

Wasn't it like a 2K fine?

spearguns ?

mulege marv - 8-20-2007 at 03:13 AM

here is some interesting, well its not really news.
:fire::fire::fire::fire:
http://www.seawatch.org/mail_campaign/alert2_back.html

3aniGif.gif - 8kB

Cypress - 8-20-2007 at 05:47 AM

mulege marv. Regarding the Seawatch article. Unfortunately, when unrestricted commercial fishing is allowed, the results are the same everywhere. No fish.:(

But donīt only ask....

flyfishinPam - 8-21-2007 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
I assume that if you are carrying these on a boat in the park it is because you want to use them in waters outside the park, and wish to transit through the park to those waters?

If so, I'd go to the Profepa office and ask them first.

The "rules" are different for different people. At least enforcement is.

if they give permission to your activity then,

GEI IT IN WRITING from them. Speaking from experience here.

flyfishinPam - 8-21-2007 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
If you look back in the search, there were some people who we know that were staying at Juncalito who were diving, had a spear gun or sling aboard, and had some scallops and a couple of lobsters. The park guys boarded their boat and instructed them to follow them back to headquarters in Loreto. For some reason the Park guys got ahead of them and they ducked back in to Juncalito thinking they would drive up to Loreto. Well when they landed, the park guys were waiting there and they were really ticked off that they had not followed instructions. They impounded everything. A few days later, they paid a pretty hefty fine and got everything returned, except for the scallops and lobster.

scallops and lobster are a huge no no here and only can b caught on a commercial permit. the personal recreative fishing licenses only cover fin fish and technically not even squid. no moslluscs including clams. So for the contraband and not following orders to land at the marina were they also in trouble for spearguns? according to the June El Pescador the periodical for the marin park spear guns and slings ARE allowed, but best have this in writing as the person enforcing the law may have their own interpretations and may act on them as they please.

shari - 8-21-2007 at 10:34 AM

Getting the answers in writing is brilliant. I was told by Profepa that hawaiin slings are totally illegal here:?: