BajaNomad

Mama Espinoza's -- never again

DianaT - 8-18-2007 at 02:57 PM

Someone before mentioned overpriced these days----understatement! Ten dollars for 3 taco dorados and some rice and beans-----grossly overpriced.

We are not crazy about eating at Baja Bed and Breakfast----too many flies and having someone on a fly killing rampage while we are eating, is just not fun. Besides, too many smokers.

So, since we really like staying at Baja Cactus, we need to keep trying other places to eat.

Diane

fdt - 8-18-2007 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Ten dollars for 3 taco dorados and some rice and beans----

:wow:

Bless theire hearts !

toneart - 8-18-2007 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Someone before mentioned overpriced these days----understatement! Ten dollars for 3 taco dorados and some rice and beans-----grossly overpriced.

We are not crazy about eating at Baja Bed and Breakfast----too many flies and having someone on a fly killing rampage while we are eating, is just not fun. Besides, too many smokers.

So, since we really like staying at Baja Cactus, we need to keep trying other places to eat. Diane

Price and food and service not as critical as the food poisoning I got there. Details in earlier strings.
:barf:

Bruce R Leech - 8-18-2007 at 08:04 PM

I also have not enjoyed many meals there. it is to bad, they have a grate location.

DonBaja - 8-18-2007 at 08:05 PM

Why doesn't Baja Cactus open a small diner ?

3 tacos por 10 dollars?

woody with a view - 8-18-2007 at 09:19 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

step outta yer shell.........after all, you are in baja! didn't you see that sign post up ahead......."now entering the twilight zone"?????

simple mexican food prepared by the nicest woman in E.R. do not settle for anything less......or not!!!!!:light:

mar 004 (Small) (Small).jpg - 43kB

bajabound2005 - 8-18-2007 at 09:19 PM

hey! we lots of left over PRIZEWINNING chili!

Tis a shame indeed Bruce

Sharksbaja - 8-18-2007 at 10:26 PM

I too have been going there since the early 70s. Mam was certainly a motivated person who took much pride in her establishment. When I visited her quite coincidentally on her 90th birthday she seemed quite lucid and fiesty(for her age).
Tis true the food has gone south. My hope is that one of her greatgrandchildren take charge and bring it back to life. I don't know why that hasn't happened but I could venture a guess.;D
When that day comes maybe I'll give it a nuther shot. Till then.........maybe I'll buy something while saying hello.

MamaE.jpg - 43kB

DianaT - 8-18-2007 at 10:29 PM

The first year John was there was 1970 with a college class. He has fond memories of Mama and that trip and was sorry we ate there this time---not a good return memory.

Yes, we hope that it changes for the better.

Meanwhile, the taco stand is where we will be.

Diane

Sharksbaja - 8-18-2007 at 10:33 PM

Ditto Diane....... I was thinking curios when I said "buy something":yes:

DianaT - 8-18-2007 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Ditto Diane....... I was thinking curios when I said "buy something":yes:

Close your eyes when you price the curios. It really is sad to see a legend turned south.

Diane

David K - 8-18-2007 at 11:08 PM

Tacos Mision... it's next to the abandoned army base... a mile from Baja Cactus. La Bocana Beach Restaurant in front of the Sinahi... so many more, but too tired to post them all now... Do a Nomad search... No flys at night at Baja's Best or in the cooler months all day. Baja Cactus is planning a small eatery... it's been posted here... search people!

DianaT - 8-18-2007 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Tacos Mision... it's next to the abandoned army base... a mile from Baja Cactus. La Bocana Beach Restaurant in front of the Sinahi... so many more, but too tired to post them all now... Do a Nomad search... No flys at night at Baja's Best or in the cooler months all day. Baja Cactus is planning a small eatery... it's been posted here... search people!

Yea, we do search and will continue to try them all --- just not Mama's or Baja B & B again.

rpleger - 8-18-2007 at 11:14 PM

Dido, for all of the above reasons.

I dont know the names of the places but I can always find a place to eat.

oxxo - 8-19-2007 at 07:36 AM

Mama Espinoza restaurant :no:

Baja Cactus Motel :yes:

[Edited on 8-19-2007 by oxxo]

Phil S - 8-19-2007 at 08:59 AM

We've always eaten at Mama's when we've arrived at Baja Cactus for the night. Last trip we noticed prices up, quality down!!!!!!!! Wife says, NO MORE. Seems too many times over the past 15 years of traveling to Cabo/Loreto some of the restaurants quality control seems to slip, and then business falls off from the traveling gringo's. Next time through, quality still crappy, but price goes up to make up the difference for the fewer customers. This isn't isolated to Baja either. I've seen it happen at u.s. restaurants also until eventually you find a "out of business' sign on the window.

edinnopolo - 8-19-2007 at 09:11 AM

The place has been, to use Mr Bill's word, "Scheisse" for many years.
Has been pointed out in many posts before.

Diver - 8-19-2007 at 09:19 AM

We had never been to Mama's in all the times we have passed through El Rosario. Seems we are blasting through too early for lunch after a quick fill-up at the Cactus Pemex.
After hearing all the hubub for years, first all good then mixed, we decided to give it a try.
It's all it's cracked up to be; has the feel that it's been there and done that.
The food and service was fair, the price expensive for little El Rosario.
Now WE've been there and done that !!

BTW, tacos at the place across from the propane tank are pretty good !!

[Edited on 8-19-2007 by Diver]

Bob H - 8-19-2007 at 09:58 AM

There is a little white school bus with red paint around it that served pretty decent food the last time we went through there. It's on the right hand side right after the left hand turn going South. A very nice lady and her daughter were running the place then.
Bob H

[Edited on 8-19-2007 by Bob H]

Minnow - 8-19-2007 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Next time through, quality still crappy, but price goes up to make up the difference for the fewer customers.

That is straight out of Mexican econ 101.:lol:

oxxo - 8-19-2007 at 10:23 AM

The first time we went to Mama's last year it was crappy food and high prices. Shame on them.

We decided to give them another try a couple months later - thought maybe we hit them on a bad night. Crappy food and high prices. Shame on us! :fire:

Eli - 8-19-2007 at 11:04 AM

Last time I ate and stayed at Mama's was in the mid 60's, great food, wonderful memories of spending a few days with her. I never went back, so, I think I will just stick with that memory. Ni modo.

DENNIS - 8-19-2007 at 01:02 PM

Sounds like number two on the Nomad boycot list.

1: Rosarito Beach

2: Mama Espinosa's

Diver - 8-19-2007 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Sounds like number two on the Nomad boycot list.

1: Rosarito Beach

2: Mama Espinosa's

3: Santa Rosalia southern gas station.

capt. mike - 8-19-2007 at 03:43 PM

is that place the sams as "beans and rice"??

DianaT - 8-19-2007 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo...Shame on them.

We decided to give them another try...Shame on us! :fire:
You cain't get fooled again!

Grover, that is one of my favorites---never get tired of hearing it!

Thanks
Diane

[Edited on 8-20-2007 by jdtrotter]

Bob H - 8-19-2007 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
There is a little white school bus with red paint around it that served pretty decent food the last time we went through there. It's on the right hand side right after the left hand turn going South. A very nice lady and her daughter were running the place then.
Bob H

Edit, I wonder if it's still there??????????????

[Edited on 8-19-2007 by Bob H]

Don Alley - 8-20-2007 at 08:17 AM

We ate there a few weeks ago. I had battered fried shrimp and french fries. Not especially cheap but really good, especially the fries.

Better meal than the McNuggets I had in La Paz. Yummy!

OK, I should stay of off food threads....
:lol:

oxxo - 8-20-2007 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
I had battered fried shrimp and french fries.

I hope you popped a couple of Lipitor afterwards! :lol:

DianaT - 8-20-2007 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:

Need more than two after the McNuggets---Oh, from what part of the chicken do McNuggets come?
:tumble::tumble:

Diane

Paula - 8-20-2007 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:

Need more than two after the McNuggets---Oh, from what part of the chicken do McNuggets come?
:tumble::tumble:

Diane

Lips, toenails, and other unspeakable parts!:lol::lol:

Bob and Susan - 8-20-2007 at 09:11 AM

nuggets are 56% corn

thirty-eight ingredients
thirteen that can be derived from corn:
the corn-fed chicken
modified cornstarch
mono-, tri-, and diglycerides
dextrose
lecithin
chicken broth
yellow corn flour
modified cornstarch
cornstarch
vegetable shortening
hydrogenated corn oil
citric acid
Soybeans
Canola
cotton depending on availability of corn
sodium aluminum phosphate
mono-calcium phosphate
sodium acid pyrophosphate
calcium lactate.
Dimethylpolysiloxene
tumorigen,
butylhydroquinone,
TBHQ

DianaT - 8-20-2007 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
nuggets are 56% corn

thirty-eight ingredients
the corn-fed chicken
modified cornstarch
dextrose
lecithin
chicken broth
yellow corn flour
modified cornstarch
cornstarch
vegetable shortening
hydrogenated corn oil
citric acid
Soybeans
Canola
mono-calcium phosphate
calcium lactate.
Dimethylpolysiloxene
tumorigen,
butylhydroquinone,
TBHQ

Boy, that REALLY makes me want to try them. :barf::barf:

Are you sure Paula isn't correct?

Don't you just love eating things you can't pronounce let along hae a clue as to what they are, like dimethylpolysiloxene and tumorigen?
:O

Diane

Paula - 8-20-2007 at 10:09 AM

OK I admit it.... it was just an assumption on my part, but after reading that list, I think mine is the better recipe:lol:

bent-rim - 8-20-2007 at 10:15 AM

The comedian Galagher had a great comment about McNuggets. Thery're proof that if you coat something in sugar and deep fry it Americans will eat it.
Mama's has gone downhill over the years and it's too bad. I love those lobster burritos. One year I had some left over that I put in the cooler. The next day I popped the hood of the truck after crossing the border placed them on the engine drove north for several hours. They were tasty.

toneart - 8-20-2007 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim
The comedian Galagher had a great comment about McNuggets. Thery're proof that if you coat something in sugar and deep fry it Americans will eat it.
Mama's has gone downhill over the years and it's too bad. I love those lobster burritos. One year I had some left over that I put in the cooler. The next day I popped the hood of the truck after crossing the border placed them on the engine drove north for several hours. They were tasty.

Great cooking technique, BentOne! If you parked in front of Mama's and cracked eggs in a pan on your engine, by the time you got to the other end of town, over all those topos, your eggs would be scrambled and cooked. :tumble:

toneart - 8-20-2007 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
nuggets are 56% corn

thirty-eight ingredients
the corn-fed chicken
modified cornstarch
dextrose
lecithin
chicken broth
yellow corn flour
modified cornstarch
cornstarch
vegetable shortening
hydrogenated corn oil
citric acid
Soybeans
Canola
mono-calcium phosphate
calcium lactate.
Dimethylpolysiloxene
tumorigen,
butylhydroquinone,
TBHQ

Bob,
Congratulations! Corporate has just awarded you the Lighthouse McNuggets franchise for Mulege. :lol:....ooops......'scuse me......:barf:

Bob and Susan - 8-20-2007 at 02:56 PM

toneart...as if i haven't researched that too:lol::lol::lol:

lh.jpg - 21kB

tripledigitken - 8-20-2007 at 02:59 PM

Bob and Susan,

By the way, your project looks great!

Ken

Bob and Susan - 8-20-2007 at 03:56 PM

with or without the M???:lol::lol:

i took that today...
a little skiing...
a little snorkeling...

weather was nice today
sunny and clear
92 degrees

oh yea...the food is fine at mamas
the service is sloooooow:saint::saint:

Copy of snork3.jpg - 26kB

Drive thru?

Sharksbaja - 8-20-2007 at 07:32 PM

By boat? What a keen idea!!

[Edited on 8-21-2007 by Sharksbaja]

lh.jpg - 22kB

Bob and Susan - 8-21-2007 at 05:18 AM

they're statring to line up already:lol::lol::lol:

mcd.jpg - 22kB

capt. mike - 8-21-2007 at 06:44 AM

and on another but lighter note............we have a celebration for Mrs. Espinoza, her 100 years b day, at the Sams internacional seminar and convention oct 19-21 in Ensenada, at the Estero Beach Hotel. I can't wait!! beach front hot jacuzzis and guad valle vin chugging.

...........the hotel is supplying the food.

Hey Bob - what's with that weather??!! never that cool this time of year. what's the "heat index" calc with humidity factored? that's the only number that can tell me anything useful. But it sounds nicer than this infernal phx heat!!

Russ - 8-21-2007 at 08:27 AM

capt. just got a weather station. 87º - 76% heat index 99º @ 9:30
had 1/10" of rain this morning.
--- Oh, wind 5mph SE

[Edited on 8-21-2007 by Russ]

larry - 8-21-2007 at 11:32 AM

I agree with David---Tacos La Mision is a fine place to eat in El Rosario. Just taqueria fare, but well prepared food.

The owner, Hugo, is from Nayarit and a very good artist with work on display in the taqueria.

great Russ, thx!!

capt. mike - 8-21-2007 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
capt. just got a weather station. 87º - 76% heat index 99º @ 9:30
had 1/10" of rain this morning.
--- Oh, wind 5mph SE

[Edited on 8-21-2007 by Russ]

i figured as much...99 by 9:30 is fricken hot man.

we've been mid 100s but humidity 30% max and dew points 50 degrees. about the same i guess.

i got 1/2 a mind to get down there anyway next week sometime............problem is i got 1/2 a mind..............:cool:

so look out Frambes - maybe i'll see you guys. nuttin definite tho.

Cabo boys will be about tho.........that might be the ticket.:bounce:

Baja Bernie - 8-21-2007 at 09:21 PM

Is this the same lady who said, “Bad roads, good people, good roads, bad people.” It seems that many of us eulogized her before her time for those very words. And now many of us condemn her because of the price of tacos her kids sell to people traveling that good road. Hummmmmmmm!

Just an observation and no I would not pay that kind of money for tacos but I might to just sit in that place and dream of what was so long ago.

DianaT - 8-21-2007 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Is this the same lady who said, “Bad roads, good people, good roads, bad people.” It seems that many of us eulogized her before her time for those very words. And now many of us condemn her because of the price of tacos her kids sell to people traveling that good road. Hummmmmmmm!

Just an observation and no I would not pay that kind of money for tacos but I might to just sit in that place and dream of what was so long ago.

I wonder if you would do that. I was there in 1970 and it was great, but sitting there now has nothing to do with that; I thought it might. which is why we went there. Now, it is a tourist trap----you really want to have your memories in a tourist trap?

It would be a little like going to Walls Drug Store in South Dakota today and try to remember when----just doesn't work.

John

[Edited on 8-22-2007 by jdtrotter]

bajadogs - 8-21-2007 at 09:59 PM

I hear you Bernie.
But... you know... jeez man... sometimes you can't go back.

JD

Baja Bernie - 8-21-2007 at 10:38 PM

I look at the 'hands' and believe you missed my point.

In spite of what a few think am not anchored in the past nor am I an old fool who resists all change. I do, however, look to see who is really causing the changes that I find more and more of us seem be be questioning.

vacaenbaja - 8-21-2007 at 11:01 PM

Call a spade a spade. I have been to Mama Espinozas in the
seventies after hearing about what a great stop it was from the late Tom Miller. Back then he was right. Mama ran a tight
ship and being just about the only game in town ,still served
great food at a fair price. As more tourist came down the road in later years things began to change. In the early
eighties I took my mom and dad for a road trip to Cabo and back. I insisted on stoping at Mamas so that my folks could experience that legendary cooking and hospitality that I had
previously experienced. Upon arrival things were terribly amiss. There had been a huge flood previously that just about floated the whole place a way in a sea of mud. A lot of
Mamas signed guest books suffered water damage.
The service was bad, the food, Lobster tacos was not good
at all. when it came to pay mama made up a price according to what she thought we should pay. We had no menus.
The price was quite high and my father felt that we were being fleeced. Mama said something about most of the proceeds going to the needy of the area. Well ever since then I have never had a decent meal there. In the old days it was great. And Mama has done a lot for the
more unfortunate people there. Some times things change and sometimes not for the better. I like nostalgia,
but if a place is not up to snuff anymore, and is living off its reputation, it is best to just go somewhere else.

oxxo - 8-22-2007 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
I do, however, look to see who is really causing the changes that I find more and more of us seem be be questioning.

I don't agree with this statement at all. I have been coming to the Baja since the mid '60's. Sure I have seen a lot of changes in some places. But it is not fair to blame the bad food at Mama's on the newcomers. Mama's food is bad because the people who are running it now have gotten lazy, greedy, and have lost the vision. There are still hundreds of little holes in the wall in the Baja that serve wonderful food that is not more expensive than in the States. The owners are friendly, helpful, and grateful for the business.

I welcome the newcomers. One of them is my daughter who drove with us from la frontera down to Los Cabos earlier this month for the first time. It was fun showing her the agricultural areas, the Boojum forest, the Boulder Garden, la Cuesta del Infierno, San Ignacio, Bahia Concepcion, and all the rest. Here mouth is stil agape in wonderment. She said she imagined something totally different - a dry uninteresting desert.

Welcome newcomers of goodwill!

tripledigitken - 8-22-2007 at 02:27 PM

I would say to first time visitors to Baja, stop at Mama's take in the ambiance, look at the decals and photos, and say hello to Mama if she's there. If you order a simple breakfast you won't be too overcharged. Once will be enough, and you can say you've been there. :cool:

Some places/experiences are better left to fond memories.:(

We usually eat breakfast on the way down somewhere between Santo Tomas and San Quentin anyway. On the way North we usually spend the night in San Quentin, and there are several places much better that El Rosario can offer, IMHO.

Ken

Breakfast in San Vicinte

Bajaboy - 8-22-2007 at 02:36 PM

We have stopped at this place twice now and will go back. Breakfast for 2 with coffee and/or juice and tip has been about 100 pesos. They have a wide range of items to choose from including fresh smoothies.

Located across the street from the school on the west side of Hwy 1. The name escapes me but I'll look for it...

Zac

San Vicinte Breakfast.JPG - 48kB

Paula - 8-22-2007 at 03:25 PM

Bajaboy, is it by any chance Antojitos El Indio?

Bajaboy - 8-22-2007 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

yes, that's the name...great food and wonderful people!

Zac

elizabeth - 8-22-2007 at 03:27 PM

Quote:

Good catch!!!!!:lol:

DianaT - 8-22-2007 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

yes, that's the name...great food and wonderful people!

Zac

Thanks, we usually stop at Valentina's, but sometimes it is really crowded so can be quite slow. We will look for your place to try.

Diane

bent-rim - 8-22-2007 at 05:33 PM

Okay. It seems as though everyone agrees that Mama Espinosa's has gone downhill. I love the lobster burrittos that I have consumed there. Where else can I get lobster burrittos?

Minnow - 8-22-2007 at 06:27 PM

From my experience it is best to make your own.:bounce:

I have heard so many unpleasant experiences at Mama's over the years I never bothered to stop there.

We did have a good meal a few months back at the little restaurant around the corner next to the bus station. Sini? Not to be confused with the bus taco stand which is pretty good too.:bounce:

bent-rim - 8-22-2007 at 06:37 PM

We're on dirt bikes with no chase truck. Where else can I get lobster burrittos?

[Edited on 8-23-2007 by bent-rim]

St Augustine

bajajudy - 8-22-2007 at 06:43 PM

There is a place between La Paz and Constitucion called St. Augustine that has killer lobster burritos...the most expensive thing on the menu...I think that they are 8 or 9 usd but they are delicious. They dont always have them(I think that this is a good thing!)
Ok this place is before El Cien coming from La Pa on the left side of the road. It used be this pretty pink and gray(hey that was THE color combo when I was in junior high) but they have painted yellow on the second floor. All the food there is good but the lobster burritos are the best.

Roasty - 9-19-2007 at 11:03 AM

Always stop for the fish soup. Never been disapointed - or sick !

roundtuit - 9-19-2007 at 02:50 PM

we have stopped twice for dinner and it is twice too many. we now bring sandwich makings or bring fried chicken purchased in the states and eat in the room. the rooms at baha cactus are outstanding. although the bus looks interesting. might try that. will be leaving in a couple of weeks if the wife will stop buying candles . says we need for ambiance at our casa.

DENNIS - 9-19-2007 at 02:55 PM

Is that woman still with us?

A year is a long time.....

Sharksbaja - 9-19-2007 at 03:06 PM

at that age:o:O:o
As a matter of fact

Ah cmon guys, ease up.:yes: She's still a good person.

DENNIS - 9-19-2007 at 03:34 PM

Well, that was to be my point. She's inches away from Cien Años. Won't you nasty restaurant reviewers feel a bit overblown at her demise? She probably isn't slinging hash but, she holds a spot in Baja memories. You don't have to eat there but maybe that public decision could be a left to inuendo till time takes charge.

Russ - 9-19-2007 at 05:28 PM

DENNIS, Me thinx you have been in the "nasty restaurant reviewers" club too. Nothing I noticed had any personal criticism towards Moma only how her place has taken a dive. Moma had the best meals on the highway for a long time. It's just time to move on to other places until reviews are more favorable. Also, I am at a total loss to understand you last sentence.

DENNIS - 9-19-2007 at 06:15 PM

It means some could be less blunt about their reviews until time inevitibly runs out for the woman. I was only being lightly critical. No big deal.

Sharksbaja - 9-19-2007 at 07:05 PM

Called respect methinks. Oh, I think bashing the food over and over and calling it "Mamas'" is pretty well pointed at her. Then, a restauranteur should be responsible for what goes on in there. She's done plenty for plenty in years past. That is the shame that w/o a good(food) rep she loses clients and probably pseudofriends as well. Happens mucho in this biz. Things can go south fast with the wrong people running the show. Anyhoo, Dennis has a clue.

btw, my wife DID have a lobster burrito/quesadilla. She liked it. My second visit more recently was a good experience when I ordered the Langosta Ranchera.

bajabird - 12-20-2007 at 09:20 AM

I still stop for lobster burritos or full lobster (now 44.00) OUCH with newbies on the road with me. Especially if theyre buying. I get heartburn every trip from the burritos.... but I still stop to get them, have a coffee or beer depending on the time; Yah, not sure which is when, but I always stop for the good ole days maybe, sometimes i'm remembered, most times its like its the first time that i walked into the place. That makes me sad. Baja is baja, bad road, good people, good road, all people. Most all places, you are remembered after a visit or two. To be forgotten after a hundred visits..... sad.

Don Eddies (next to old mill) has served up some great lobster at a low price.....

David K - 12-20-2007 at 09:40 AM

The new post by ELINVESTI8 on Mama Espinoza's (yesterday) sure is a nice way to bring balance... ALL eating places in Baja can go from good to bad (and back to good again).

Mama's is the place in El Rosario that is most famous, gets writeups about, and attracts the tourists and racers. El Rosario was a checkpoint for the 1000 from '67-'72, and Mama has supported the Flying Sams since it was 'born' in El Rosario thanks in part to her.

I don't write much about it because most Baja folks already know of the place. I have had great lobster and other meals there... I also have had great (and cheaper) meals at other restuarants in El Rosario... (Baja's Best B & B Restaurant, La Bocana Beach Restaurant, Tacos La Mision, to name a few)

No matter what any of us say, someone else will come along and have a bad experience or just not like it and say the opposite.

What you need to do, is try NEW places each trip... Food in Baja is awesome... part of the experience (I mean you guys have seen my wasteline expand over the years, right?):lol:

Antonio (Baja Cactus), Anthony (Diamante del Mar), and David K at Mama Espinoza's having lobster for Thanksgiving dinner, 2004.

bajadedom - 12-20-2007 at 12:13 PM

I have never had a bad meal anywhere on earth that came from a "bus" style place?? Some of the best shrimp in Texas and Hawaii....Cajun in Louisianna....BBQ in of all places , Minnesota...Dogs in Jersey....
So look for a roadside BUS anywhere!!:biggrin:

Hook - 12-20-2007 at 12:24 PM

Yeah, but the price of discovering if Mama's is improved is steep, these days.

The lobster burritos have to be approaching 15.00 by now, if not more. Not that I ever liked them much with that white sauce in them.

I wish they'd change the name. I feel like I'm disparaging a wonderful 95 year old woman every time I express my dislike for the place. She probably has little to do with the restaurant anymore. :(

David K - 12-20-2007 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Yeah, but the price of discovering if Mama's is improved is steep, these days.

The lobster burritos have to be approaching 15.00 by now, if not more. Not that I ever liked them much with that white sauce in them.

I wish they'd change the name. I feel like I'm disparaging a wonderful 95 year old woman every time I express my dislike for the place. She probably has little to do with the restaurant anymore. :(

I agree Hook as it is Roli's place now, ... and lobster isn't the only thing they serve. Mama is 100 now, officially.

But, really... if you want a burrito... a BIG meaty burrito, go to Hugo's Tacos la Mision!

Packoderm - 12-20-2007 at 01:27 PM

After reading ELINVESTI8's story, I'll continue to stop there as long as Mama E. is present.

bajajudy - 12-20-2007 at 02:03 PM

Me too Packo

My Two Cents

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-20-2007 at 03:15 PM

Just so you know I hold no ill will against anyone in here that does not like Mama's food or think the food is too expensive. I distinguish between your complaints about the restaurant and Mama herself. Just know that Mama no longer runs the restaurant. She is 100 years old and is spending her time in her private quarters knitting slippers she sells in the restaurant to buy rice, beans and soap for the needy people that live in El Rosario and the surrounding mountains. Mama’s only thought are for the homeless and poor who live in her area. The few pesos she makes from her slippers goes to the poor people. Mama does not have anything anymore as she has divided everything she had amongst her children and now lives on the good will of her daughter Rolly and her husband Oscar who provide for Mama from some of the proceeds of the restaurant. Believe me that Rolly and Oscar are not getting rich off of anyone who comes to eat at their restaurant. I know this to be a fact. They do make a small profit but that is expected because they are a business.

Oscar has to travel overnight to get the lobster (I forget where) and has to bring them back from where ever he buys them. They buy most of their food in San Quintin or Ensenada and have to haul it back to El Rosario from a long distance. They want to ensure that everyone is getting fresh ingredients in the meals they prepare. I spent some time in the kitchen and saw Carolina, Rolly’s cousin making out a list of food they needed to buy. I asked her, if they buy the food locally and she said "Nooooo, we go to San Quintin or Ensenada to buy the food." Me personally, I have no idea where the other restaurants in the area buy their food but just know that the price Mama has on menu is a fair price and they have no intention of ripping anyone off. Mama Espinoza’s Restaurant has a reputation to maintain from the time Mama made tacos on her wood stove for a few tourists those many years ago up to today.

PS If anyone is going down past Mama Espinoza's place in the very near future please let me Know. Mama Espinoza ran out of her Ensure drinks about a year ago and I would like to send her four cases to get her though until I can get back down there. I will meet you anywhere you say to give you the cargo. Mama says it gives her energy to make it through the day. If that is not possible does someone know how to send that kind of stuff down that far such as mail or delivery truck etc. Please U2U me if you are either going or know how to send it so it will get to her. Thank you very much.

David

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

David K - 12-20-2007 at 03:21 PM

Thanks David, that was well stated...

David K - 12-20-2007 at 03:25 PM

Antonio (Baja Cactus) and Lorenia with Roli (Rolly) at Mama Espinoza's Restaurant where we all had breakfast (May, 2005)...

[Edited on 12-20-2007 by David K]

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-20-2007 at 03:33 PM

Thank you David for the picture. Yep That's Rolly alright. :lol:

Cypress - 12-20-2007 at 03:46 PM

Jeez! Take your pic! There are umpteen dozen places to get a good meal anywhere and everywhere you go in Baja. :D What's the big deal about this Mamma What's Her Names Place?:lol:

tripledigitken - 12-20-2007 at 04:02 PM

There are reasons to go to Mama's restaurant.

Nostalgia for the old days, and ambiance from the racing pictures and decals. For this atmosphere you will overpay for mediocre food and poor service. :(

Sad, but that has been my experience. If you must, poke your head in the door, maybe buy a tee-shirt, get back in your car and stop at the bus for a $2.50 torta! :yes:

Ken

David K - 12-20-2007 at 04:25 PM

You know Ken, after what (a local business owner, who will remain unnamed) said he saw at the 'bus', Elizabeth and I never went there!:wow:

I highly recommend you try Hugo's Tacos La Mision for tortas, burritos, stuffed baked patatoes, etc. :D

Sharksbaja - 12-21-2007 at 12:17 PM

Yah, I've heard plenty of rumors about our own local eateries. Do I believe them? No. I've also read completely untrue statments posted on review sites indicating terrible food, terrible service, terrible atmosphere.
Those type of comments(not rare) can and are generated by miserable folks looking to damage your reputation, nothing more.
Hey some people think Applebees is a great place to eat.:lol:

Tis a shame subjective criticsm runs rampant on the internet. Who is one to believe? You, me, or the other some guy you never met?

YOU GO MAMA!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

bajabird - 12-21-2007 at 01:26 PM

Merry Christmas to all.

I will be at Mamas tomorrow, getting lobster and eggs,
I am getting a loan today to pay for it, but, for me, its my ole baja.

Bob and Susan - 12-21-2007 at 03:16 PM

we had breakfast at mamas yesterday morning...
omlets

everything was GREAT!!!

food was HOT came out fast!!!

price was right

howat - 12-21-2007 at 03:51 PM

For the past 5 years I've stopped at Mama's on both the way down and back on our annual fishing/camping trip to BOLA or Concepcion Bay. My buddy who i travel with has been stopping there from the 70s thus introduced me to the place still raves about the food quality. I plan our departures so we can eat there for either breakfast or lunch. The lobster burritos are to die for. I lobster hoopnet weekly here in San Diego and have a freezer of limits. The lobster burritos I've been served have always been cook to perfection where the meat is sweet, tender & succulent with a wonderful garlic butter sauce. In fact even before reading this thread, I'm cooking up some lobster for dinner tonite that I caught wednesday nite again trying to copy Mama's recipe on how i remember her lobster burritos taste. Other members of our party have had most items on the menu from the soups to the breakfast items but never dinner. I've only had a few other items since I have only eaten there 10 times but those breakfast eggs items have been very good. Either I've been very lucky, you guy's tastebuds are far more critical than mine or a little of both. Also have bought a couple of blankets there that I wrap around me to this day as I watch tv from my recliner on a cold nite.

Nice story about Mama and her generosity to the poor. If we go down this year, will bring a case or two of Ensure for Mama. However, we are planning on La Salinas this year where I can drive my boat down via water from SD and moor it at the marina. Want the border lawlessness to subside a bit before I take my expensive toys south by road.

Halibut Howie

[Edited on 12-21-2007 by howat]

Bajabird - Baja Express

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-22-2007 at 08:37 AM

On Thursday, December 20, 2007, I put out a request in this thread asking if anyone was going past Mama Espinoza’s place in the near future so I could give them four cases of Ensure to take to Mama Espinoza. On Friday December 21, 2007, Bajabird (Tom) e-mailed me the following:

“I will be at Mama Espinoza’s tomorrow…Anything that you want there will be there. I am the Baja Express! Tom.”

Tom then e-mailed me his cell phone number and we briefly spoke on the phone. He told me he was heading down to Loreto and would be happy to take the cargo to Mama. Tom said he was leaving Los Angeles at 4:00 AM on the 22nd and suggested we meet off the 405 Freeway in Costa Mesa at the Corner Bakery on the South Coast Plaza Parking lot. I got up this morning December 22, 2007 at 3:30 AM and drove the hour drive to the meeting place. Tom and his Lady, Debby, arrived about 5 AM and we loaded the cargo for the trip to Mama Espinoza.

Tom also took a sleeping bag to Mama’s place for cousin Salvador, who lives at Rancho El Metate (Rancho San Juan De Dios). Salvador’s bedroll flew out of the pickup truck the day I left on the 18th and could not find it once he realized it was gone. I gave him my blanket at Mama’s and told him I would try to get him a sleeping bag as fast as possible so he would not freeze out there.

After Tom and I loaded the cargo I hugged him and thanked him for his generosity. Tom and Debby were off in a flash. I could tell they had the Baja fever and were chomping at the bit to get there.

Tom and Debby THANK YOU so very much for helping me get the cargo to Mama and Salvador. You have my name, my telephone numbers and address. If there is anything I can do for you guys and if within my power to do whatever you ask I will do it. Just know you guys now have a new friend in me.

I also wish to thank Doug Means for making this site possible and for all the generous people it contains. For all of you nice people who had nice comments about my posting above and others I have posted in this forum I thank you very much. Please, if you can, remember when you pass by Mama Espinoza’s place please take her some uncooked rice and beans so she can replenish her meager supplies which will help her in giving to the poor people of El Rosario and the surrounding area. The money she makes from her knitted slippers only goes so far. Again, THANK YOU!
Also a thank you to howat for his generous offer to take some Ensure to Mama when he can do so and to the rest who said nice things about Mama Espinoza.

David *******

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by ELINVESTI8]