BajaNomad

To see the stars--

bajalou - 8-24-2007 at 08:46 AM

From USA Today

Loreto Bay
Baja California, Mexico

"There are no private beaches in Mexico, so anyone can spend the night on a sandy stretch on the pristine Sea of Cortez, along the eastern shore of the Baja Californian peninsula," Pearson says. Campers can even pick a spot right behind a hotel. Since there is rarely cloud cover, in summer or winter, the view of the stars is nearly always assured. gotoloreto.com

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/10great/2007-08-...

astrobaja - 8-24-2007 at 10:29 AM

Hi Lou,

Anybody who has been to Baja has probably noticed how amazing the night sky can be! Nice to see USA today recognise it!
The lack of light pollution coupled with the dry air and good southern latitude make Baja about the best place in the northern hemisphere for astronomy apart from Hawaii (Monau Kea sp?). Check out the light pollution map, lots of Baja is in the totally black unpolluted zone!

This is why my Wife and I are starting a Astronomy B&B near the edge of San Pedro Martir park, maybe we'll be up and running by this time next year!

cheers

Astrobaja

bajalightpoll.jpg - 38kB

DianaT - 8-24-2007 at 10:44 AM

That is a great map. Where we are is in the black and the stars are simply amazing.:yes::yes:

Thanks for the map and good luck with your B & B---look forward to hearing when it is open.

Diane

Don Alley - 8-24-2007 at 11:21 AM

But with Loreto Bay comes street lights stretching from Nopolo to Loreto.:rolleyes:

Fortunately they are often out of service.

bajalou - 8-24-2007 at 11:34 AM

When I posted this, my thoughts were "Hey, don't think that's anywhere near the best place for stars in Baja" You noticed is was put in by "gotoloretto.com" who might not be too impartial with their recommendations. I live in San Felipe and if one goes into Valle Chico which extends to the base of the Sierra San Pedro Matir (and Picacho del Diablo) we have some pretty clear viewing.

Cypress - 8-24-2007 at 11:40 AM

Even in rural areas some folks have outside "night lights" that come on as soon as the sun sets.:) Deprivation of darkness could be a serious matter requiring mitigation and treatment.:biggrin: